Fringe: Renewed for Final, Fifth Season

Fringe renewed and canceledFOX has given fans of Fringe a nice gift. Though the network could have easily cancelled the show due to poor ratings (even by Friday night standards), FOX has renewed the sci-fi TV series for a fifth and final season.

The 2012-13 season will be comprised of 13 episodes and will give the cast and crew an opportunity to wrap up the ongoing storylines. It will also bring the show’s episode count to 100, a quantity suitable for syndication.

Last spring, despite unimpressive numbers, FOX gave Fringe a full season renewal of 22 episodes. Season four finishes airing on May 11th.

Here’s the press release from FOX:

HOT FROM FOX…

FOX BOOKS “FRINGE” FOR A FIFTH AND FINAL CHAPTER

13 Episodes Ordered for 2012-2013 Season

FOX has picked up FRINGE for a fifth and final 13-episode season, it was announced today by Kevin Reilly, President of Entertainment, Fox Broadcasting Company.

“FRINGE is a remarkably creative series that has set the bar as one of television’s most imaginative dramas. Bringing it back for a final 13 allows us to provide the climactic conclusion that its passionate and loyal fans deserve,” said Reilly “The amazing work the producers, writers and the incredibly talented cast and crew have delivered the last four seasons has literally been out of this world. Although the end is bittersweet, it’s going to be a very exciting final chapter.”

FRINGE co-creator and executive producer J.J. Abrams added, “We are thrilled and beyond grateful that FOX – and our fans – have made the impossible possible: FRINGE will continue into a fifth season that will allow the series to conclude in a wild and thrilling way. All of us at Bad Robot are forever indebted to our viewers and the amazingly supportive FOX network for allowing the adventures of Fringe Division to not only continue, but to resolve in a way that perfectly fits the show.”

“This pickup means the world (both of them) to us, because we love sharing these stories with our enthusiastic fans,” added FRINGE showrunners and executive producers Jeff Pinkner and J.H. Wyman. “On behalf of the cast and crew, we applaud our fans and FOX for allowing us to imagine the impossibilities together for so long. Season Five is going to be a conclusive thrill ride for all of us.”

FRINGE’s compelling fourth season concludes with three all-new FRINGE Friday episodes in a row, counting down to the two-part season finale on Friday, May 4 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) and Friday, May 11 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT). In “Worlds Apart,” airing Friday, April 27 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT), team members on both sides, including Olivia (Anna Torv) and Peter (Joshua Jackson), continue to fight for a common cause, and there are shocking developments tied to the Cortexiphan children.

Created by J.J. Abrams, Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, FRINGE is produced by Bad Robot Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television. Abrams, Bryan Burk, Jeff Pinkner, J.H. Wyman and Joe Chappelle serve as executive producers, while Kurtzman, Orci and Akiva Goldsman are consulting producers. Additionally, Pinkner and Wyman serve as the series’ showrunners. “Like” FRINGE on Facebook at www.facebook.com/fringe. Follow the series on Twitter @fringeonfox and join the conversation at #Fringe.

What do you think? Are you glad that FOX has renewed Fringe? Given the ratings, should they have? Are you upset that this will be the end or glad that the show got 13 more episodes?

Canceled and renewed TV show

64 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Jim Z says

This is one of the better shows on tv. Fox has always had shows on the edge. Wish they would keep it going. The story lines were well done. Made you think about what was going on around you. JJ presented a different perspective on what we see and think. Would love to see a marathon run of episodes on FX. I think it would have been higher in the ratings. If it could have been a 10:00 show. Thanks as always to Fox for something different.

2. mike says

i really enjoy this show maybe you can keep it going for many more seasons 7 ,8 or more this is a really good show please reconsider this….

3. Patrick says

A guy from Germany here. We love Fringe in Germany! Please consider to renew Fringe for a season 6. I bet the crew will join this venture. European countries love cleverly worked or thought out shows. What about an international online survey? Fringe is the best show since the X-Files. The X-Files were a huge success in Europe and Europe is quite big.

For now: Thanks for Season 5 Fox. It was a pleasure to watch the final show, even though there are still a lot of tales to be told…

4. Alex77 says

Well i’am glad that it ends… This has been one of the most horible shows i’ve ever watched and i really don’t understand why it gets to have this gift since shows with way better material like Millennium did not… They are so many moronic things about this show u don’t even know where to start… U could start with the atrocius character writen for this show (the blonde) who has absolutley no clue about the most elementary law enforcement procedures and runs round shooting unarmed people that are not a threat to anybody, breaking into people’s houses and offices without a warrant or probable cause.. Who’s bosses that don’t like magically explode and are of course bad guys…. I mean they have to be if they don’t like her and give her a bad time;)
    And who was constantly congratulated for being such a smart and amazing person.. Seriously??? Who’s feminist frustrations did the get spilled out into this show?
    Who’s buldog face actress looks like she’s always getting ready to take a nap and who’s acting skills leaves much to be desired…
    Other than that the show was great…. Exept for the character/actress who felt like an ice pick in my brains everytime she showed up (wich was 85% of the time).
    I was forced to watch this show because my wife likes feminist shows but wut excuse did u guys have? No wonder this show had horrible ratings….i mean everybody who likes this show must already be here:))

5. Loretta Wilson says

Thank you, Fox to continue for another season for fringe. I will be greatly disappointed if it stopped at seasons 4. I am glad that we are given another season to see the ending. Thanks Fox!

6. Burdette says

I just stumbled onto Fringe while channel surfing. I am so disappointed the show has been cancelled. Please reconsider bringing it back. This is a top notch quality show. I can’t beleive all I have left is the reality crap and sit-com crap that lives on for DECADES.

7. Heidi Daws says

Why is it when an interesting and captivating series is shown it is cancelled. This series has so much potential and should be seriously reconsidered as being continued.

8. sherrie says

What am I going to watch now on fridays night. I have watch this show from day one and love it. Very sad to see it go.

9. says

Thank you for at least ending this show we love it and the actors. Sorry to see it go as it has been one of our favorite sci-fi. Again thankyou for letting it have an ending. Wish Ringer and a few others like alcatraz had an ending!!

10. Alex W says

I truly wish Fox would bring back the X files. even with totally new Characters it would still be one of the best Sci-Fi dramas on TV. Fox should give it a new twist. Almost a mixture of the old X-files flashbacks with the new Fringe series that’s going off the air. The X-files ran for years, not just a few seasons. Because it held your imagination and had solid plot lines.
    Fringe came close and I will really miss the series. just as Sea Quest died off and so many others. Futuristics versions of the X-files should pick-up again only 100 years in to the future. Where New detectives follow up on Mulder and Scully’s work along with the Fringe teams research. Researching unsolved mysteries and new ones. They’re is a who lot to explore and the story line should go on. From generation to generation.
    I wish I had of studied on how to be a writer myself. But the chances of making a decent living are tough. Especially in TV or Hollywood. Look what the networks did to all the writers who went on strike. they got fired and the networks started reality TV which in my opinion sucks. Can’t stand it and won’t watch it. if I wanted to see that BS I’d turn off the TV and go watch my neighbors. And OMG The Real housewives of where ever!
    Who picked this crap to be on TV. I can’t believe that people even want to watch these whores….

11. Jana Gros says

Over the years Fox has given us sci-fy buffs great shows like
    X-Files, Millennium & now Fringe. I’m sad to see it go, but very
    thankful to Fox for considerting us faithful fans!!

12. Kathie says

Big fan, so will miss Fringe! Great character development, writing and story lines! Relieved the powers-that-be at FOX allowed Bad Robot to “complete” the series for us fans & not left us hanging, as so many channel executives do. I’ll truly miss Walter and his ramblings and the rest of the Fringe family, too! They’re excellent actors, so I’m sure I’ll see them on another TV show soon. The folks at Bad Robot will create another terrific show…as usual. Best wishes to all of them! I’ll be “watching” for you…

13. Brenda B says

I am so glad that Fox is so respectful and considerate of the show’s followers. I am sad to see the show ending but I am thrilled that we get to see an ending to the story. I appreciate Fox’s president consideration!!!