Full House: Will there be a TV Show Reunion for the Tanners?

Full House TV show castThere have been so many revivals of old TV shows in the past few years, why not a follow-up to the Full House TV show? It turns out that John Stamos has already thought of it, at least twice. Turns out it’s not happening.

Full House centers around the household of Danny Tanner (Bob Saget), a father who, after the death of his wife, asks his brother-in-law Jesse (Stamos) and best friend Joey (Dave Coulier) to move in to help raise his three young daughters. The kids are independent D.J. (Candace Cameron), talkative Stephanie (Jodie Sweetin), and tiny Michelle (Mary-Kate Olsen and Ashley Olsen). Over time, the family grows and Jesse marries Becky Donaldson (Lori Loughlin) and they have twin sons, Nicky and Alex (Blake Tuomy-Wilhoit and Dylan Tuomy-Wilhoit). Frequent visitors to the house include D.J.’s zany friend Kimmy (Andrea Barber) and boyfriends like Steve (Scott Weinger), Viper (David Lipper), and Nelson (Jason Marsden).

The series debuted on September 22, 1987 on ABC. The sitcom wasn’t an immediate hit but eventually became a cornerstone of ABC’s Friday night line-up, averaging 15.6 million viewers at its peak. Despite still being in the top 30, the network cancelled the show in 1995 due to high production costs and a decline in viewers. There was talk of moving House to the fledgling WB network, owned by the show’s Warner Bros. studio, but it never happened. House’s last episode aired on May 23, 1995 with only a minor acknowledgment that the show had come to an end.

The series continues to be very popular today, particularly with the younger generation that wasn’t even born during the show’s initial run. Despite this popularity, there’s been little talk of any reunion projects.

The closest thing came back when Saget was hosting America’s Funniest Home Videos on ABC. The May 9, 1997 episode featured an on-screen reunion of the entire cast, with the exception of the Olsen twins and the Tuomy-Wilhoit twins.

In 2005, there were rumors that Stamos had pitched a Full House spin-off centering around Jessie, Becky, and the boys. It never got off the ground.

Would you like to see a new Full House series?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Recently Cameron said that he was trying again. The 32-year-old actress told OK! Magazine, “John Stamos has actually been working on a semi-remake of Full House. I know it would involve me and Jodie [Sweetin]… We would revive our characters but today as young women.”

Unfortunately, E! Online reports that it’s not going to happen, at least for the present. A Warner Bros. source says, “We couldn’t make the deal… It’s completely dead right now.” Apparently there wasn’t enough interest in a series about the Tanner girls without the Olsen twins taking part.

A sad development for obsessed fans of the original series but it seems like only a temporary setback. With the industry’s obsession with the remakes and revivals, it’s only a matter of time before Stamos or someone else tries again. If it’ll be worth watching, remains to be seen. Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

BROOKE June 23, 2009 at 3:42 pm

full house is a great show. it would be cool to see a remake of full house i would like to play as Stephaine Tanner.

no name June 23, 2009 at 3:37 pm

i love the full house show!!!! i would love to see them make a new full house also .

Kiely June 23, 2009 at 2:45 pm

I grew up on Full House, and when I see the reruns on T.V, I can’t help but to watch it! A reunion would be really awesome!!

Monica June 21, 2009 at 10:11 pm

I enjoyed watching Full House when it was on primetime as I was the same age of D.J. Now my ten year old is absolutely obsessed. We have 5 out of the 8 seasons on dvd. My daughter can not go a day without watching at least 5 episodes per day!!!

JOSEPH MURRAY June 9, 2009 at 5:30 pm

far as i am concerned this was and will always be the best family show ever. i have bought the entire series. my childern are now watching it. PLEASE RECONSIDER MAKING A REUNION.

katrina__:) May 20, 2009 at 8:46 am

I LOVE FULLHOUSE!!!!!!!!!!! i am obsessed with it and i watch it almost everyday before i go to bed!!!!!! PLEASE MAKE A REUNION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Anonymous May 12, 2009 at 2:34 pm

totally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Garret April 7, 2009 at 12:42 pm

I grew up with Full House and All the Other great shows of the 80’s. They seemed, somehow, more real than similar styled shows today…ahh, I digress ;)

Kaitlen April 4, 2009 at 9:32 am

Full house is a great show! It went off the air right after I was born. I THINK THEY SHOULD HAVE A REMAKE, OR AT LEAST A TELEVISED REUNION!!! That would be GREAT!!!

Anonymous April 3, 2009 at 3:47 pm

Naimat says from pakistan:
I dont know about u people but i am really a big fan of full house and i hope and pray that a rerun is done soon coz i miss them (cast of full house especially dj), anyways can we at least have their emails so that we may contact them to show that we really are big fans and that there should be a rerun of the show….

Daniel March 19, 2009 at 11:46 am

yes they should. i dont know why they took it off the air

laura February 21, 2009 at 9:45 am

well they can use one of the twins because they look completely different now anyway so they could use any of them but i dont no how they are going to do another one without the whole cast because it wont work =[ i want another full house i like watching full house i was 3 years old when it ended i think 2 and half i dont no but my mom told me that i always loved watching it because of jessy and michelle =]
they were my favorite characters =]

sharon February 20, 2009 at 8:05 am

Well they only need one of the twins to play michele!!

scott February 19, 2009 at 9:55 pm

yes, i think a reunion special will be super

Nick S. February 10, 2009 at 10:07 pm

well in all honesty, the way they are talking , doesn’t sound like that reunion will ever happen, unless the Olsen Twins ever take place in it.. And I could probaly guess why they won’t take part in the reunion… could be because of that drug rehab or something else? who knows..