Gilmore Girls: Series Creator Not Happy with Ending, Still Hoping for a Movie

Gilmore GirlsIf you’re a fan of Gilmore Girls, the dramatic series that starred Lauren Graham and Alexis Bledel, you might be happy to know that series creator Amy Sherman-Palladino hasn’t given up on her plan to make a movie.

EW’s Michael Ausiello has had a mini (major, actually) obsession over the idea for sometime and recently re-grilled Sherman-Palladino about the possibility.

The show creator, who left the year before the show ended, isn’t happy with the way the series finished in her absence, though she admits she’s never actually watched it either. She says, “I wanted different things for Rory… I wanted her to follow a different sort of path… [go] off on her own adventure, which I guess she sort of did. I haven’t [actually] seen the last season, but I heard about it from other people.”

Sherman-Palladino apparently had different plans for all of the regular characters but is reticent to share the details because she’s still holding out for a movie. She shared, “I don’t want to totally say [what my ideas were], because if there is a movie in the making, I’m going to be basically delving back into where I left off, and then I’m kind of [screwed].”

She also notes that she keeps in touch with Graham and Bledel and is optimistic that a movie could happen at some point. She said, “If I thought it was definitely not going to happen, I would say that…I think that the beauty of Gilmore, and the beauty of family relationship shows is, you never really run out of story. You’re going to battle your family until you’re all in the ground. Those things never resolve, doesn’t matter how much therapy you get. Ten years later, there’s still going to be [material] there to mine and to delve into.”

It, of course, remains to be seen if Graham, Bledel, or the rest of the cast would be interested in returning to Stars Hollow. Graham essentially mocked the idea last Spring when she was interviewed by Jimmy Fallon.

What do you think? Do you think a Gilmore Girls movie will ever actually happen or is it just wishful thinking?

Diana March 16, 2011 at 7:05 pm

OMG!! The writers, producers and people who made “Gilmore Girls” come true are unbelievably genius! Graham and Bledel are such great actress, it would be a dream come true for so many international fans if a season 8 or a great movie was made!! I think that after all these years if there are still so many fans screaming for more Gilmore Girls is because of the amazing series quality…. so funny, so interesting, so original, so perfect!!

They should make a contest for fans to write the script for a movie, the best one gets to be produced (I´m pretty sure we would just do it for free)!! :D

Lissette March 5, 2011 at 11:45 pm

There has to be a Gilmore Girls movie, I was not happy with the ending. and Lorelai and Luke need a better ending, they should of never broken up, and they should of had a wedding, and a baby. I love watching them together. Rory should have her adventure, but then come back to settle in stars hallow, and open up her own news paper, and sexy Logan should settle in stars hallow with her. Rory and Lorelai should be around each other, I really enjoyed their mother and daughter relationship.

SIERRA March 3, 2011 at 4:39 pm

NOOO man i really want a movie but not with logan he is totally a messed up character i think they should return jess whoa they would get soo much views if that is done because it was actually love they both really loved each other compassionatly

Michelle February 5, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Please make a movie but only about Rory and Jess getting back together since they had time to grow up and mature. They were great together in those seasons and had wonderful chemistry. Logan was wayyy to fancy and arrogant.

thea December 30, 2010 at 6:16 am

sorry but the ending sucked. Logan and rory were meant to be together and the way they ended things wasjust sad.it seemed to me that they wanted to just end the series and get it over with. Idiots!! hope they make a movie and obviously logan would have to come back.i never eally liked rory and jess .rory and dean were a good couple for a first boyfriend girlfriend kinda thing but whatever ..hope a movie is coming soon :D

Kesa June 21, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Rory and Logan should have got married !!! Very unhappy about the ending

Jenny October 30, 2010 at 6:08 pm

It would be so cool if there was a gilmore girls movie. I really wanted Logan and Rory to get married or end up together and I wasnt really happy about how the show ended.

Heather Swenson September 25, 2010 at 1:08 am

I would love to see a reuinion episode or tv movie! Unfortunately…I don’t think it will happen unless the people that would be interested are more vocal about it.

I agree that MOST fans of the show were dissapointed with the ending. Logan and Rory had done so much to eachother characters that fans really got invested in their romance. Not all romances work out, which is true. But even if they planned to end it, the way they did was too quick. Plus.. this is TV and if we wanted a reality heartbreaker we would watch The Bachelor or some reality show like that. Why not let them stay together?

Also,

Vivien September 2, 2010 at 9:18 am

I really hope so! I am from Germany and me, my friends and my family as well, still love Gilmore Girls. I think that Lauren G. said so, because their were to many rumores that maybe get of the nerves, when you work on your carrier. I mean Lauren G. is in a new Role and so, in each interview to hear questions about Gilmore Girls, still over years, me too would say : Its over!
But i think if Amy would make it, she would still be Lorelai Gilmore again. She said before, if sth could get her interests she would make it.

I miss Rory and Logan as well. Maybe i get my chance to see them again. They still loved each other as the break. And after a few years of work their could be other chances…
But i wouldnt be mad, if it comes in an other way. I am sure, the movie will be great.
After the 8th Season was cancelled, all were sad. Actors and Fans as well. Maybe they need a chance to get THEY END.

I would love to see a Lorelai Gilmore screaming ‘Coffee! Coffee! Coffee!’ again.
I would love to be see them all again. For their Happy Ending.
If its Gilmore Girls, it only could be great.

Fred July 13, 2010 at 2:16 pm

It’s interesting, but Lauren plays the same type of character on “Parenthood.” It’s nice watching her because she is so believable.

Sharon July 12, 2010 at 10:40 am

Too bad Lauren Graham doesn’t like the idea of a reunion. I thought she did an excellent job–she’ll always be Lorelai Gilmore to me! P.S. Whatever happened to Dean?

elisa g June 23, 2010 at 6:36 pm

yeah i realy wanted to see logan and rory end up together, i thought they were so perfect and happy together. i would love to see a movie where rory sees logan again and they can resume their relationship and grow stronger together..idk thats just my opinion on how the two should end up, i think it would be cute :)

helen moore June 8, 2010 at 1:59 pm

although the gilmore girls is newer to British tv the people i know that watch it love it and e4 keeps showing it over again which is great because i really love it . its funny and heartbreaking and interesting well amazing really lorelai is my hero she has made me a stronger person also i have a new nick name for my mum and its emily gilmore . i really really love the gilmore girls its the best thing on tv and the only thing i can watch over and over again i would be sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo happy if it came back , plus luke is so cute

Garima Mittal April 10, 2010 at 5:06 am

rather i believe logan and rory were meant to be together. 99% of people were disappointed the way series ended. first 6 seasons were amazing till amy wrote them. season 7 was actually bad so much happened like lorelai started dating chris marries him ends up getting divorced and ending was actually bad. I think either logan shouldn’t have proposed in the first place or rory shouldn’t have said no or maybe logan shouldn’t have said “it’s all or nothing” I mean yeah i understand they are too young to get married but then after what all they’ve been through i guess rory and logan are perfect for each other. logan changed because of rory, and they both love each other. they have all what it takes to be in a relationship. A guy who was into casual affairs got serious and committed not only that he’s trying to be a man of his own means now that counts. I loved the episode “you jump, i jump jack!” i can still watch infinite times with same interest. logan is charming, gorgeous and that rocket was amazing gift!! every girl dreams to have someone who can love her like that and rory got her chance she should have been with him in a heart beat.

Jess and rory shared few interest but I think they can be best of pals but for a relationship there are more things then just chemistry. you need dedication and understanding which wasn’t there between them. he just went without saying anything and he didn’t say she should wait for him or anything he left and that was it.

Larelai and chris were better couple according to me. they are childhood sweethearts and thbey know each other perfectly in and out. luke and lorelai were good as friends good comedy and nice healthy relationship but lorelai and chris were meant to be together.

I checked out few sites where fans started writing the episodes for next season and man they are actually bad.

Thank you so much amy for great 6 seasons and i just hope you just don’t drop the idea of making a movie. i would love to see logan and rory together. and ofcourse 2 childhood sweethearts together.

Noodle May 1, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Omg like everything you just said was my exact opinion!!!!!!

latty brown March 22, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Yes i believe they should have made rory and jess be together of of course the best relationship out of all the 4 or whatever others she ever had. They had chemistry and give lorelai a proper ending with luke too. Is this the way u treat ur loyal fans huh!