How I Met Your Mother: CBS Sitcom Renewed for Two Seasons; Will That Be the End?

How I Met Your Mother seasons seven eightCBS has decided to renew their popular Monday night sitcom, How I Met Your Mother, for seasons seven and eight and a total of 44 episodes. Though the series is up in the ratings (averaging a 3.6 in the demo and 9.13 million viewers) and the future of Two and a Half Men is less secure than it once was, you would think the renewal would have been a slam dunk. Not quite.

Negotiations have reportedly been going on for months to determine how much CBS would have to pay for each episode of the series. Up until this season, money hasn’t been a big factor because the network and 20th Century Fox Television agreed to a standard six season deal when How I Met Your Mother (HIMYM) began. The series could be cancelled at any time and the network would only pay slightly more money if the sitcom was renewed. Well, the original agreement is about up and HIMYM is more popular than ever. It also makes the studio a lot of cash in syndication.

Under the new two year deal, it’s believed that CBS will pay in the range of $3.5 million per episode. That’s close to double the existing deal which is about $2 million per episode.

Whether or not the series will continue to see season nine remains to be seen. Co-star Jason Segel has already made it known that he plans to leave when his current contract is up, at the end of season eight. If the show is still a hit in 2013, the network, studio, and producers will have to decide if they want to continue without him, and potentially others in the cast if their contracts expire as well.

What do you think? Should How I Met Your Mother end after eight seasons? Is that long enough?

eli October 15, 2012 at 5:27 pm

i wish have a best endding with all of members .and keep the funny thing until the end episode.director and producer attention that we are 7 years watch for best result.without jason or any one all of dreams about this serial gone (just like that(barney stinson)

bigriss27 August 13, 2011 at 12:50 am

I think we should learne how he met their mom by now. I mean he would have to meet her date for a big then get married and have kids. We are running out of time I mean it is almost 2012! Also is the girl okay woth robin? He says aunt robin so she. Must be a cool girl….make them meet already!!

L. A. Stew. May 23, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Really there is no telling whether or not to cut the show after eight seasons. We have to wait out and see how the episodes do. Character and story telling trumps our mortal attachment to the previous tales.

Fran April 18, 2011 at 3:36 pm

After watching Ted get together/break up with a barrage of women during the past several seasons I don’t think anyone cares anymore as to how he met their mother. Enough is enough already.

eli October 15, 2012 at 5:21 pm

agreed

Deborah Bullock March 23, 2011 at 12:44 pm

If actors are going to start to leave the show, I say end it after 8 seasons, to keep the integrity of the show intact.

Colin March 17, 2011 at 6:39 pm

love the show but end it after season 8, don’t keep going with Marshall gone

yogita March 15, 2011 at 7:30 am

I just love HIMUM,i’ts really funny and entertaining,i wish it would never end… but i can’t wait to see Ted’s wife!!!!

Adam Decker March 7, 2011 at 10:07 am

Two is better than one as they say. Here I was thinking that it would only go on for one more season, but two is better. It will probably end after that as most shows that go on beyond what they should end up having their final season rewritten by the fans (ie That 70′s Show or Scrubs). So he should finally meet the mother, whether we’ve met her or not. They’ve had a lot of red herrings in the way but the next one will hopefully be the mother. I just hope for a decent ending and nothing like The Soparnos.

Rebecca March 5, 2011 at 7:07 pm

Seven seasons would have done the trick – but I’m happy with eight. I’ll keep watching. I think I’ve seen every episode and most of the time it’s a great show – Barney can be a bit too much sometimes, but I love the bits when they revisit Robin Sparkles and all the jokes about Canada…hehe. Ted used to not be very funny (he wasn’t very good in the first season or two) but he’s better now and we really want to see him meet his kids’ mom. That could even happen next season, if we also get to see the courtship and wedding of Ted and the Mrs. I hope it ends well, and I assume it’ll end during that eighth season. Fans want to know who the mother turns out to be, and now they shouldn’t let us down.

Tay March 5, 2011 at 1:04 pm

I love this show! i dont want it to ever end, but im know that the mother has to be revealed at some point. eight seasons is good, and it couldnt go on without any of the current gang.

Chase March 5, 2011 at 12:43 pm

I’m a firm believer in letting something run its course. As long as the writers have stories to tell and as long as the cast and crew want to keep doing it, I say let them at it. It’s a rare thing in television these days to find a show that stays consistently entertaining week after week and HIMYM is one of them. If CBS plans on giving them more after season 8, you can bet that I’ll keep tuning in every Monday night because, as Barney Stinson says, it’s going to be legen- (wait for it) dary.

KB March 5, 2011 at 10:01 am

Much as I’d love to see it go on forever, 8 seasons is a very respectable run. Given that they have a long running story, it’d be nice to see them make some plans and wrap it up nicely at the end rather than having to do a quickie job when it’s suddenly canceled. Plus, by 2013 we’re starting to run into the realm of Ted better get popping out those kids soon or the future parts make no sense!

Michael March 5, 2011 at 3:08 am

It’s one of the smartest and funniest sitcoms on the air today. Good to hear that it will be around for another two years. It’s one of my all-time favourites.

Carrie March 4, 2011 at 11:03 pm

YAY This is the only show I watch on CBS and I LOVE IT
Good News, too many good shows are being overlooked these days

Paul March 4, 2011 at 10:49 pm

I think it should have ended in the middle of the first season… it is not funny.