Jane By Design: Should It Be Cancelled or Renewed for Season Two?

ABC Family TV show Jane by Design canceled or renewedTonight, ABC Family airs the last episode of the first season of Jane By Design. Will the show be cancelled or be given a second season instead?

Jane By Design follows a quirky teenager who has a unique fashion sense. By chance, she gets hired at a hip fashion house and must juggle her job responsibilities while still attending high school. The cast includes Erica Dasher, Andie MacDowell, Rowly Dennis, India de Beaufort, Ser’Darius Blain, Brooke Lyons, Nick Roux, Meagan Tandy, Matthew Atkinson, and David Clayton Rogers.

The TV series debuted in January to 1.6 million viewers and a 0.6 rating in the 18-49 demographic. The numbers for week two dropped about 30% but came back up again in weeks three and four.

ABC Family initially ordered 10 installments and those finished airing on March 6th. Rather than renew Jane By Design for a second season, the cable channel ordered eight more installments to be added to season one.

Those started airing in June and, to date, the first season of Jane By Design has averaged 1.29 million total viewers and a 0.5 demo rating.

Will it be cancelled or renewed? That’s hard to say. It’s the worst performing scripted series on ABC Family right now — but not by much. The latest episodes have performed about as well as the first batch, when ABC Family seemed happy enough with the numbers to order more episodes.

It’s not a positive indication that ABC Family hasn’t renewed it yet but a renewal could still be forthcoming. Either way, we’ll let you know as soon as we hear some news about the show’s fate.

But, what do you think? Should Jane By Design be renewed for a second season or cancelled? How does it compare to the other shows on ABC Family?

PLEASE!!! October 31, 2012 at 7:43 am

abc FAMILY <<< stress on the FAMILY!!!
you've canceled the only FAMILY show that was on!!

Hillary October 31, 2012 at 7:37 am

Along with many other fans, I loved that the show was actually clean!! For once we were able to watch something that had a good message. I believe the reason there were less followers is because many of Jane By Designs fans are the girls that DON’T watch Pretty Little Liars, Gossip Girls, or shows about pregnant teenagers. There may be fewer of us that enjoy more wholesome shows but in a world where all the shows are evolving and becoming more skanky, there is still a demographic of teens that yearn for a wholesome show like Jane By Design!! I believe we at least deserve a season 2 to finish the plot.

BRINGJANEBACK October 28, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Seriously, ABC? You air a show that’s actually good and then cancel it? That was my favorite show on ABC too… you’re making a big mistake. If you had to cancel a show then you should have gone for Bunheads. -_- I am VERY disappointed.

ann October 28, 2012 at 12:13 pm

I like this show on so many levels,the main[other than it’s good] it’s not a reality show. Please don’t cancell. Bring it back.

Fanning October 27, 2012 at 8:51 am

Please renew it! There will be more viewer this time. please renew it, don’t end Jane!

Kristi October 24, 2012 at 6:41 am

Canceling Jane by Design is a huge mistake. It was a great family show that I could discuss with both my daughters. For divorce reasons, we too watched it ON DEMAND because my daughters weren’t home on the day it aired. Please review who is watching this show. The concept, real teen issues with a twist, and heart make it a unique show. My daughters have no interest in Melissa and Joey and some of the adult issues in Bunheads makes me not let my 10 year old watch it. I hope you reconsider canceling this fashion themed show that attracts multiple age groups with it’s plots, fashion and well developed characters.

Myah October 23, 2012 at 9:11 am

I love this show and really hate that they would cancle it. I’m litterally in tears over this show because it grabbed my attention. Why show it and then later cancle it for those who do like it. It’s not like yaw have many good shows anyways. Just put it back on……Thank You

Yrma October 19, 2012 at 8:52 pm

It was one of the only,,, shows we could watch as a family,, !!! (What to do) with the people who made the rong desicion to discontinue Jane by Design

Stacey October 18, 2012 at 12:17 pm

This was finally a decent show to watch, There is nothing else that is on worth watching. I was looking forward to seeing if Jane and Billy end up with each other, and you can’t just leave us hanging about her job either. To bad that you cancelled the show. I wish you would bring it back and give it another chance.

amy October 14, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Yes Keep It On ..Its Best Show Don’t Let It Get Away….<3 Billy<3Jane..Must See What Will Happen..?

Linda October 8, 2012 at 1:41 pm

This is one of the few shows my daughter and I love to watch together. The characters are wonder, the story lines are fresh and inventive, and the clothes are top notch. I cant get into any of the other shows on ABC family, and some are just not appropriate for my daughter to watch. ABC family has let us down.

pauline September 28, 2012 at 8:01 pm

I love that show!Should It Be Cancelled!!!

Trish September 28, 2012 at 6:27 pm

What is wrong with the Family Channel? You finally get a decent program on for us to look forward to that has morals and good role models and you decide to cancel it ! Why can’t you leave just ONE GOOD FREAKING SHOW on your station cause I have no desire to watch anything else you have to offer ! YOU HAVE MADE A TERRIBLE MISTAKE BY REMOVING SUCH A CLASSY PROGRAM ! Get rid of Melissa and Joey or Bunheads !!!!!

Desiree October 12, 2012 at 10:54 pm

Agreed. Bunheads and a few of their other shows are terrible! I work nights and could never tune in, I just watched it on Demand the next day. For a while there I didnt even know Jane By Design had added more episodes to their first season until I did some searching. The schedule of airdates was a bit off, so this could also be the reasoning behind the lack of viewing they claimed they had for the show. Jane By Design is a great show, great actors and better storylines than half of their other shows. PLEASE don’t cancel it. We also have to see Jane and Billy finally get together too!

Kortney Hoopes September 28, 2012 at 11:12 am

I FREAK’N LOOOVVVEEE THIS SHOW!!! IT BETTER NOT BE CANCELLED… TOO MANY SHOWS FROM ABC FAMILY THAT I LOVE ARE BEING CANCELLED AND ITS MAKING ME MAD.. IF YOUR JUST GOING TO CANCEL THEM… DONT START THEM BECAUSE YOU WILL GRAB SOMEONES ATTENTION AND THEN IN THE DEAD MIDDLE WHILE THEY ARE TRYIING TO WAIT FOR IT TO PREMIER… THEY HAVE TO FIND OUT IT HAS BEEN CANCELLED.. SOOO PLEASE DO NOT CANCELL THE SHOW IF IT HASNT BEEN ALREADY!! THANK YOU :D

Liz September 27, 2012 at 8:19 pm

I agree Jane by design should not be cancelled. Absolutely love this show !!!!