Judge Joe Brown: Cancelled Over Contract

judge joe brown  canceledJudge Joe Brown is leaving the bench — at least for now. After 15 years on the air, Judge Joe Brown has been cancelled because a new contract agreement couldn’t be reached, reports B&C.

According to Brown, he and CBS Television Distribution (CTD) have had a profit split over the past seven years. CTD says that profit margins have become slimmer since they made the deal because viewership has dropped. With the exception of Judge Judy, all of the court shows are down this year, sometimes by as much as 20%.

After not being able to work out a new contract with Brown, CTD tried to shop a new judge — Judge Geoffrey Gaither of Marion County, Indiana — but Fox (which licenses Brown in the biggest markets) wasn’t interested.

As a result, CTD has cancelled the show and affiliates are left to figure out how to replace it.

Brown said, “It was time to move out on my own since I had some ideas that I had been having to pull teeth with no novocaine to get adopted.” He feels that CTD “difficult to deal with” and “applied zero public relations and zero advertisement” to his show.

The judge is launching his own production company and is already shopping ideas to distributors. They include a three hour radio show starring Brown and that’s already been cleared in 30 markets. This program may lead to a TV series. He also plans to produce at least one new court show, one featuring retired California Judge Deann Salcido.

Judge Joe Brown launched in September 1998 and has consistently been the second-highest rated court show, behind Judge Judy. It will continue to air until September 2013.

What do you think? Will you miss watching Judge Joe Brown? Would you watch a new program featuring Brown?

Canceled and renewed TV show

46 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Pat says

I instintively laughed while reading the comment that Judge Joe Brown seemed like he was lazy and did not care. Judge Joe Brown worked as a real judge in Memphis, TN for years helping people, advising & making sure some of the defendents were often compelled to complete school or drug programs in lieu of prison. He would close down his court room on particular days after work and hold a drug rehab program. He gave good sense recommendations on his tv show. Sure he has a laid back manner although I have never heard causing him to be described as lazy we all have a right to our oppinion. Good luck Judge Joe Brown.

2. Anonymous says

I miss watching Judge Joe Brown and Judge Alex. I had them set as a series on my DVR. Very disappointed and angry. They need to be brought back. Yes, I would watch another show with Judge Joe. The new court shows are boring but I know Judge Judy is connected to it because she was talking about it on a talk show. I do not care for those judges. Bring back Judge Joe and Alex.

3. BONITA DECKER says

I THINK ITS SAD THAT THE MOST REAL NI NONSENSE JUDGES ARE THE ONES CANCELLED SUCH AS JUDGES JOE BROWN AND ALEX FERRER. WE NEED THOSE JUDGES BACK NO MATTER WHAT WE HAVE TO DO. THEY WERE THE REAL THING WITHOUT ACTORS PLAYING THE LITIGANTS ..WHY ARE WE AS PUBLIC OK WITH THAT. IM READY FOR A PETITION TO CORRECT THIS INJUCTICE .

SINCERELY
    BONITA DECKER

4. Kimberly Kite says

Why r they taking all the good couet shows off tv. They took Judge Alex and Judge Joe Brown off T.V. U guys need to put these 2 court shows back on T.v. They were both awsome Judges and spoke the truth and they made a difference in peoples lives. Please put them.back on T.V.

5. Fifi says

I liked his show in its beginning stages. As a matter of fact, he used to be my favorite TV judge. However, over the years he seemed to wax cold and was not as lively as he was at first (seemed disinterested and bored w/his duties as a judge). I used to love to hear him give straight-laced and impartial advice to those involved in cases in his courtroom. He actually came off as a type of father figure to me. I became very disappointed when he began to let the litigants talk over him and run the show. I’m sorry for him that the cancellation happened the way that it did, but I honestly feel it was inevitable; the show had run its course. “I wish you well, Judge Joe Brown. I’m sure you’ll be just fine without a television show.”

6. laura pettigrew says

i will miss him very much i think he did what he was suppose to do .i loved him and will miss him.i will watch anything that he does.hope to see hime on air soon.my husband and myself think and talk about him a lot. and i think he is funny too.!!!!!

7. Anonymous says

I never liked judge joe brown he seemed like he did not care I think he just liked the title but not the job he tried to excuse every case and did not want to be bothered with it I think he was just lazy glad he’s gone judge judy rocks she don’t put up with ignorant people .sc