Magic City: Cancelled by Starz, No Season Three

Magic City special previewStarz has officially cancelled Magic City after two seasons on the air. The 16th and final episode of the low-rated series will air this Friday night.

“We are tremendously proud of the series and everyone involved,” Starz said in a statement released to Deadline. “From the writers, to the cast and crew, it has been an incredible collaboration. This was a story born from Mitch Glazer’s singular vision of Miami, the Magic City of his childhood, and we are grateful to him for bringing it to life on Starz. The season’s story arc will allow us to deliver a satisfying conclusion to the series, and we thank all the fans who checked in to the Miramar Playa.”

What do you think? Are you sorry that there won’t be a third season of Magic City? Do you think it’s a better show than the ratings indicate?

BARBARA August 10, 2013 at 12:37 am

WOW was I surprised. This is good show and I was getting to really hate Houston’s character – he plays such a BAD man. Really like JDM too…. too bad – seems they always take away the really good ones and then come up with things like the White Queen…. just the previews alone want to make me NOT watch it — but I will just to see. Think they have enough of those period pieces already. But MIAMI…. come on! A lot of us remember that stuff going on and it’s like real history made into a tv show. Hope they re-think this.

CAMILES August 10, 2013 at 12:37 am

Why would they cancel a great show?!

Jaret Redding August 9, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Wow! That sucks!! I didn’t find out it was cancelled until I heard them say the series finale before this episode aired.. Spartacus and Magic City in the same year.. Smh

Vickie Mags August 8, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Are they kidding? Like someone said above, an intelligent, good show cancelled again. Boo, Starz.

sandyc August 7, 2013 at 9:39 pm

Pretty sure I will cancel my Starz channel on Saturday. What a shame that good television with talented writers and cast can’t survive. It was the only reason I subscribed.

Britt Lambert August 7, 2013 at 5:37 pm

Please don’t cancel this show it is so good. I look forward to Friday nights and really the only reason that I even turn on Starz network.

Matthoffs August 6, 2013 at 9:29 pm

Wondering why I should continue to pay extra to have Starz included in my cable package?
Great fun shows like Magic City are hard to come by these days. I guess people are more interested in watching Honey Boo Boo. Sad.

Vickie Mags August 8, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Sickening, right?

Meg Amor August 6, 2013 at 8:17 pm

Oh god, another one bites the dust. What the hell is it with intelligent entertaining shows with great characters, backdrops etc? They all seem to get cancelled. I have some serious doubts about the intelligence level generally here in the States. Shows like ‘I’m a hillbilly, married to my sister and my mom is the mother of my 2 year old’ seem to get a renewed season time and time again. I am so over it!!!

Anonymous August 6, 2013 at 4:36 pm

Starz you are crazy to be cancelling Magic City. My husband and I love it. Please continue this fantastic and entertaining show. It’s has tremendous actors and exhilarating storyline. I hate it when ends. It’s quick hour.

PLEASE RENEW!!!

Joan August 6, 2013 at 3:46 pm

Magic City is a great program. I cannot believe it is not coming back for a 3rd season.
Maybe if they hadn’t programmed it to be on Friday night, there would be more viewers.
The acting is superb and the story line is so good. Having a terrifically entertaining series in that era and in that location is great entertainment. How can they not renew?!?

Sharlene August 10, 2013 at 2:09 pm

I agree, I have read before that it is a death sentence for a show when it is aired on Friday nights for some reason. I am assuming that viewership is down across the board on Fridays which doesn’t help good showes getting renewed.

Sad to see this show cancelled, very entertaining week to week and kept me hooked.

Audrey August 6, 2013 at 3:38 pm

This is terrible!! My husband and I watch this every Friday night and absolutely love this show. I can’t believe how many great shows get canned and leave the fans in wonder. This is by far one of the greatest shows ever made and canceling it is a bad move.

Keith August 6, 2013 at 3:33 pm

What an amazing show. I am stunned that they decided to cancel it. Great story line, great acting, incredible costumes and sets.Truly a glamorous show that I will miss.

Neenie August 6, 2013 at 2:04 pm

I was so suprised and upset to learn that “Magic City” has been cancelled. Between the storylines, the setting, the fashion of the era and so much more, I found the show to be incredibly entertaining. I am very dissapointed at this news (but not as much as my aunt is because of her crush on Ike Evans)! :(

Maureen August 6, 2013 at 12:55 pm

I just cannot believe that Magic City has been canceled. This is a big disappointment as I love the show and can’t believe people aren’t watching, unless they just don’t get Starz.

Grandizer August 6, 2013 at 1:28 am

Really tired of the “We are tremendously proud of the series and everyone involved” lines you always hear form the people who cancel shows.
I never knew how low the viewership was for this show, but am glad I watched it.

And once again, renewing a show that has not even aired yet??? Really??? Wow.

Jeremy Rynek August 6, 2013 at 3:50 am

I know, Starz is definitely making a nasty little habit of renewing shows before they premiere. Remember Boss? Also the pirate show that won’t be on until next year, that’s already renewed. Obviously it’s the wrong move.