Merlin: Syfy Renews BBC TV Show for Season Three

MerlinIt’s the news that fans of Merlin have been waiting for. Syfy isn’t repeating NBC’s decision to cancel Merlin after one season.

Like Smallville, Merlin presents a new look at the younger days of a legendary fictional character. The series stars Colin Morgan, Angel Coulby, Bradley James, Katie McGrath, Anthony Head, Richard Wilson, and John Hurt.

As you may recall, NBC ran the first season of the BBC program last summer. The ratings weren’t very good so they cancelled Merlin. Fortunately, the program moved to another NBC-Universal company for season two.

Season two of the fantasy series ran on Syfy from April until early July and attracted an average of 1.7 million viewers. That’s good enough for the cable channel to want to renew the show for season three.

Of the news, Merlin creator/executive producer Johnny Capps said, “We are thrilled that Syfy will be broadcasting the third series of Merlin… The upcoming season will add an exciting new twist to Merlin’s ongoing struggle to protect Prince Arthur, as well as thrilling audiences with bigger and bolder action sequences, stunning CGI monsters, mysterious villains and comic fun for all the family.”

The BBC had already ordered a third season of 13 episodes last December. Filming reportedly got underway in Wales in March.

There are no specific dates yet but it’s expected that season three of Merlin will begin airing in the UK in the latter part of 2010 and pop up on Syfy in early 2011. No word on the release of season two on DVD.

What do you think? Are you glad to hear that Merlin is returning to Syfy for season three?

Canceled and renewed TV show

99 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Linda Bedinghaus says

I hate to think Merlin’s finale is Friday May 31,2013 on SYFY> Do you know if an another channel will continue the series. I look forward to Friday night at 10:00 o’clock. If I am not home my dvr will record it for me. I wish SFFY would continue with Merlin.

2. Debbie says

Yes, I would absolutely enjoy a new season of Merlin…I just got into watching Merlin…it would be sad if they cancelled out Merlin totally….

3. Beneta says

YES – Cannot wait to see more Merlin. I have had to go to Netflix just to see prior season. Good to hear there will be more seasons.
    THANKS

4. Gee says

Yes BRING IT BACK – The show it is great – I’m into SyFy: When will the show return to the Syfy channel I’m aging.

5. Our family says

We love Merlin. As a family we watch every episode and now have others watching it as well. We anxiously await their return!

6. Lalla says

Well, I’m not a 61-year old mother, I am a 71-year old lady who loves Merlin. In fact, I also adore the Sam Neill Merlin and every other Merlin that has ever been produced. As for the one airing on SyFy, I hope there are many seasons. It’s an enchanting program, and I agree that a thousand times better and more entertaining that some of the garbage that SyFy airs!

7. says

I’m a 61 year old mother, widow and professional. I adore Merlin. I look forward to Friday evenings on SyFy. Keep the series alive and broadcated..PLEASE

8. MH says

SCI-FI great decision this is a great series with a great story line.keep them on the air for a forth and fifth season,remember when smallville frist came on WB,it was not so great but 10 seasons.Keep Merlin coming

9. Leah says

YES!! YES! YES!! Bring Merlin back for a third, fourth etc. season. We are all eagerly awaitng the new air dates.

10. Anne says

I absolutely hope they bring Merlin back for season four. My whole family is anxiously waiting for it.