My Own Worst Enemy: Co-Star Tries to Understand TV Show Cancellation

My Own Worst EnemyThe NBC TV show that brought Christian Slater to weekly television was cancelled after just four weeks on the air. Production on My Own Worst Enemy shut down after nine episodes and it looks like NBC has plans to air all of them. One of the series’ stars, Madchen Amick, is confused by the network’s decision to cancel the show and has a theory as to why it may have happened.

My Own Worst Enemy debuted on October 13th on NBC. The action drama follows a man (Slater) who has two distinct identities – Henry Spivey and Edward Albright. Henry, his wife (Amick), and children (Taylor Lautner, and Bella Thorne) all believe that he’s a mild-mannered family man. Meanwhile, Edward is a super spy who works under supervisor Mavis Heller (Alfre Woodard) and is partnered with fellow operative Raymond Carter (Mike O’Malley). Others in the cast include Omid Abtahi, Saffron Burrows, James Cromwell, Sarai Givaty, Mark Ivanir, Mindy Sterling, Missy Yager, Eugenia Yuan, and Louis Giambalvo.

Despite a lot of high-profile promotion, the premiere attracted only 7.27 million viewers and a 3.0/8 rating/share in the 18-49 demographic. The following weeks saw the ratings fall and the show consistently lost a large percentage of its lead-in audience from Heroes. NBC cancelled the show after a handful of episodes had aired.

Should Enemy have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Many devoted fans are outraged over the network’s decision and are quick to point out that the existing ratings system is flawed. Speaking to the NY Daily News, Amick is quick to agree. She said, “The thing that’s so frustrating to me is that we were a hit if you take into account Internet numbers, TiVo, DVR – these Nielsen ratings they’re going by are archaic… It would be one thing if America just didn’t get it or it wasn’t that great of a show, but fans were excited and were watching – it had a great following.”

Enemy has impressive special effects and production values, a fact that may have contributed to the show’s demise. Amick notes, “Our numbers came in from the first episode and we were huge, but I think it’s hard times for everybody, and they probably just don’t have enough in the budget to believe in a show that cost that much.” Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

lauren December 14, 2008 at 8:58 am

Oh, c’mon NBC, one of the few good shows you decided to finally air and you just cancel it. Effin great!

nancy December 11, 2008 at 2:29 pm

Ugh ugh UGH!!
whats the MATTER with NBC??!!
this was a great show!!
and prison break started like this and now look at it!
IDIOTS!!
everyone is going to start watching it, mainly because taylor lautner is in it, DONT THEY SEE THAT??!!
ugh morons, honestly

Robert December 10, 2008 at 5:02 pm

This sucks. Finally a good show and nbc takes it away. what next the office. Bastards

Collene December 9, 2008 at 12:57 pm

Figures. Something worth watching and the network cancels. But crap shows remain on the air FOREVER!

Blake December 9, 2008 at 8:30 am

morons. NBC is run by morons. I wish there was a way we could get CBS to pick this up. They seem to be dominating good television lately. Anyway I like this show as much as I like NCIS. Those are my two favorite shows.

roman December 9, 2008 at 12:55 am

If you have ever wondered why nbc is the least watched network, now you know.
Christian Slater heads an excellent cast.
Premise is original and exciting.
Two good reasons to move it another network.
Christian Slater roks:)

And I record it every week:)

Vicky December 8, 2008 at 7:24 pm

I just finished watching tonight’s show and I’m devestated.. Henry wants a baby, now that would’ve been fun to watch. Please give this spectacular show another chance.

Peter December 8, 2008 at 2:45 pm

9 shows is hardly enough time for many people in the fickle public to latch on to a show. for the most part, people watch what is put on TV. I think this show was awesome. Great cast, writing, effects, plot, etc. NBC advertised the hell out of this show. We show up to watch it, and i think more people were watching or recording this show than they post, and then they take it away. Make up your minds. If you don’t want to give shows a chance, don’t waste the money on them in the first place. Put that money into keeping crap like survivor, big brother, er, or whatever on. Everything seems to need to be a cop show, lawyer/ crime show, or a hospital show. Can we not have something on TV besides reality and the same old mix? Wake up NBC, bring Christain and the gang back.

patrick delahey December 8, 2008 at 1:42 pm

When I heard Knight Rider was returning I was really excited but then they messed it up with Ford commercials for 60 min instead of sticking to the essence of the 80′s show. then just when I thought they made it up to the fans by creating an awesome show like My Own Worst Enemy some big shot decides ratings were low and time to cancel it!! Maybe someone has a split personality there at NBC.

Tim Haller December 8, 2008 at 2:57 am

This is a good show, I hope they would reconsider their decision

Cody Leaf December 5, 2008 at 4:34 pm

The nelson rating system is out dated and archace. With the internet and DVRs all you would have to do is update the software and have the user agree to have the shows they watch and record sent in as part of the ratings then you would get a real ratings system. Now with this show being in canclled I will not watch any new NBC televion shows. I don’t know who is running that over there but I know for a fact I could do a better job then they are.

-Codeman

Michele C. December 5, 2008 at 2:32 am

Every year, quality shows with real substance and value are canceled. Yes, I have “gotten used to” knowing that almost everything I watch will be canceled prematurely, while crap like Two And A Half Men wins Emmys. Emmys!! Sigh.

I guess todays execs forget that shows like Cheers ran for two or three years before hitting the Top Ten in the Ratings. They give NO CHANCE for shows that even already have a BUILT-IN fan base (see Firefly, Las Vegas, and many more).

Ratings shmatings! What? A thousand people in Iowa and Florida have Nielson ratings boxes monitoring their viewing habits? This is how things like Full House and that show with Urkel stayed on the air for over a decade.

And production costs… yes, lets’ all look forward to MOWE being replaced with Celebrity Phone Tree or MILF Island. Reality shows are cheap and they show it.

Blah blah blah… soapbox soapbox soapbox…

Ellen December 4, 2008 at 4:06 pm

Cancelling a television show featuring one of the hottest teen hearthrobs of the moment (Taylor Lautner) is the most idiotic things I’ve heard of in ages. Perhaps changing the advertising strategy for the show and looking for that audience of tween-age girls might have been a better plan.

Gary December 4, 2008 at 1:31 am

Very sad. NBC just doesn’t know a good show when it sees one. cut the special effects budget to make it more cost effective if you need to, that’s not why most of us are watching it!. It’s the acting and story line that is great, Christian and Madchen are great – come’on NBC pull your head out!. The effects are good, but that is not what keeps me coming back every week.
Shame shame shame on you NBC.
I hope as others do that a smart network will pick this up and run with it!

Vicky December 3, 2008 at 7:31 pm

Yup, I knew it. I predicted this would happen after watching the pilot episode. I was excited and happy to finaly have a show that I could look forward to every week. The premiss was very original, and the effects and plotlines were fantastic. I just knew a show this spectacular would be wanked. The 4400 and My Own Worst Enemy are fantastic shows, and do deserve much better treatment than this. Christian you will be greatly missed :(