Numb3rs: TV Show Cancelled by CBS; No Season Seven

Numb3rsAs expected, CBS has pulled the plug on their long-running drama, Numb3rs. A mainstay of the Friday night schedule, brothers Charlie and Don Eppes won’t be back next fall with a seventh season.

Numb3rs revolves around an FBI agent (Rob Morrow) and his genius brother (David Krumholtz) who helps solve cases with mathematics. The cast also features Judd Hirsch (as their father), Alimi Ballard, Dylan Bruno, Navi Rawat, Aya Sumika, and Peter MacNicol.

The cancellation doesn’t come as much of a surprise, especially when you look at the figures.

The ratings have dropped quite a bit in recent years. Last season fell to an average of a 2.2 rating in the all-important 18-49 demographic and 10.2 million total viewers. This season, the ratings dropped further still, to a 1.8 rating and 8.26 million viewers. CBS cut the show’s episode order from 22 to 16 installments last fall. While the official word was that CBS had an overflow of original programming, networks don’t usually cut the orders of successful shows.

Should Numb3rs have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The cast and crew filmed what could serve as a series finale and Morrow and Krumholtz signed on for new TV show pilots. While the actors would be contractually obligated to return to Numb3rs if CBS decided to renew it, ABC and FOX were confident that they wouldn’t.

Last week, it was confirmed that the show’s sets were being dismantled, another sign that Numb3rs was finished. CBS has now made the cancellation official.

On the positive side, Morrow will return next fall in a new series for ABC called The Whole Truth. He’ll play an attorney opposite Joely Richardson. Unfortunately, Krumholtz’s comedy pilot, Tax Man, was not picked up by FOX for the 2010-11 season.

What do you think? Are you satisfied with the way that Numb3rs ended? What will you miss about the show? Will you give The Whole Truth a try?

Vivien Cappe June 29, 2014 at 10:33 am

I just discovered Numb3rs a few months ago on Netflix and could not stop watching it. I was surprised and disappointed to realize that it had ended after Season 6. I agree that there are so many solid dramas on television that get cancelled because of ratings and other shows that stay on that have nothing to offer. I will really miss the Epps family and friends. I will miss them as much as the crew of Friday Night Lights.

Fran June 3, 2014 at 6:47 pm

I have come across Numb3rs on German TV by accident and loved it from the first episode. Since in Germany they love to repeat episodes and seasons without continuing i lost interest but luckily discovered it online later and was able to watch it (in original with no german dubbing YAAAY). I think this show is amazing, not just because of its amazing plot but also because of its implication and well explained input on science. I was always interested in science in high school but I never was able to understand most of it… especially math. (languages and art were my better subjects). The way they explain the math with visuals and explanations, as well as applications for the real world made all the difference for me. Finally I understood math better now and why my math teacher used to call math a ‘language’. The show is a great benefit to everyone getting interested in math and also philosophy in a way. I love the conversations between Larry and Charlie because a lot of them made you think about the world or different situations. This was also a point I enjoyed about the series. Also the value it gave on Family and doing the right thing. I understand that they cancelled it because of the ratings going down but they probably didn’t think about the people overseas or on the internet watching it. If so they would have much higher ratings! I bet even a couple of thousands were watching it in Germany. And there are a lot of other countries out there! I have read that the show was aired at 10pm in the US. I think that might be a reason why the ratings were so low for such a good show. Its much too late! At that time none can properly concentrate and take the show in fully. If they had aired it at 8.15 pm like most shows and movies in Germany they would have a high number in viewers. Most people working in companies or shops finish at 6 or 7pm. by 8.15pm they are at home ready to relax (children done with homework) so its a great time to watch a show.
I really hope someone will find a need to revive this show with the original actors there is still so much joy to be had from the story line. And like they said in the final episode there are also physicist approaches to be looked at :). Ahh so much science so little time.
Thank you for a really amazing show and a lot of insight to the universe and cosmos of endless possibilities.. or probabilities :D. And I hope to see more episodes some time in the future.

vickie roy May 31, 2014 at 7:51 pm

I was very disappointed when you took numbers off. Why is it you get a good show and you always get rid of it? You did the same thing a few years ago with Crossing Jordan. Stop pulling the good shows.

helen May 27, 2014 at 2:20 pm

I loved watching num3ers, i cry when don got shot, then i screamed when amida got kidnapped, what is it, every time a program gets good, its cancelled, i loved watching the chase and Alcatraz, i will just have to buy the box set and watch the dvds .

Catie May 22, 2014 at 3:38 pm

I can’t believe they’ve cancelled it right before amida and Charlie’s wedding!!!!! My mom and I have watched this show from the very beginning and we’ve waited for that wedding FOREVER!!!!! And now we’ll never know if Don gets married or not!! Did Don get promoted? What about Don’s team?? How could they do this?! SOOOOO disappointed with CBS…

christine hay April 5, 2014 at 3:34 pm

This was a program that both me and my husband enjoyed we ever brought the dvds to ‘re watch them. Am so upset that another good program has been stopped. Like flashpoint did as well.

Darwin Lemon November 8, 2013 at 4:33 pm

CBS always does this garbage, they cancelled The Unit, they cancelled CSI Miami and they cancelled Flashpoint. All good shows, and they just dropped them. Thank goodness for dvd’s or the fans would only have their memories to hold on to!