Parenthood: What Happened? Has the NBC TV Show Been Cancelled?

ParenthoodWe’ve received quite a few e-mails from readers who are been worried that Parenthood has been cancelled by NBC. Well, it hasn’t been canned and will actually be returning on January 4th. That’s the good news but fans shouldn’t get too complacent. The drama hasn’t been performing all that well and certainly isn’t assured of a third season.

Last May, Parenthood was one of those shows that was “on the bubble” but still ended up being renewed. Though season one premiered with a 3.1 rating in the coveted 18-49 demographic and 8.1 million viewers, it soon after dropped to a 2.3 rating and 5.83 million viewers. The 13 episodes of season one ended up averaging a 2.6 in the demo and 6.38 million total viewers.

For season two, Parenthood debuted at about the same demo rating it had at the end of season one. Unfortunately, that didn’t last. In mid-November, shortly before it went on hiatus, Parenthood hit a series low of a 1.8 rating in the 18-49 demo and 4.8 million viewers.

The first half of the season has averaged a 2.1 in the demo and 5.22 million. Parenthood is currently the seventh-highest rated scripted program on the network, falling in the middle of the list, just below The Event. While it’s not in immediate danger of being cancelled, the show’s certainly not safe either. Its fate will ultimately be decided by how well it performs when it returns from the six week hiatus. Most shows don’t typically fare very well and ratings drop after a hiatus. Will Parenthood be the exception?

What do you think? Will the ratings for Parenthood go up or down? Will it be cancelled or survive to see season three?

Stella Ramirez July 1, 2013 at 7:23 pm

Please!Please! Do not take Parethood off the air. My whole family watches this show and we were anticipating this season. Anxiously waiting!

Risa June 19, 2013 at 11:19 pm

Parenthood is my favourite show and it’s disappointing that it may get cancelled. I love the characters, story line is great and I really look forward to watching it when it comes on! Wondered what happened as it just stopped coming on!

Anonymouse June 11, 2013 at 5:55 pm

That is so True = Love the show but it is so inconsistant – It is on for a couple weeks then off for a couple months…what is up with that – just when you look forward to it and the show gets really good it goes off for who knows when…Love that show

Kimberly May 25, 2013 at 10:29 am

In my opinion, it is one of the best shows on NBC! I’m surprised it hasn’t won an award of some kind. It’s a real, family oriented, no murders or blood quality program. The actors are amazing and the writing just as good. I hope it fairs well in the future as I would miss The Braverman’s.

ruth May 20, 2013 at 11:07 pm

love the show wish they would stop taking it off then puting it back on this is redicules its on then its gone then it starts back up thats why the ratings r all over the place put it on and leave it the hell alone its a great show start it in september and let it run till may

Lottie May 15, 2013 at 10:52 pm

To me, the reasons that the ratings go up and down is because there is no consistency in the airing of the show. In previous times, tv viewers could expect and get to see their favorite shows each week at the same time . For example, Hawaii 5.0 and Person of Interest and other shows come on each week at the expected time. They are consistent. If you have to show reruns, do that. It is better than not seeing the show at all for a long period of time. It is indeed the very best television show to date.

susan moore May 11, 2013 at 2:12 pm

My husband, daughter, and I have a favorite program. That program is Parenthood. Today’s date is May 11, 2015. Please, please tell us when the show will be coming on again. P.S. For the purposes of your demographic, my daughter is 45 and my husband and I are a little older. Your guess!

Julie April 26, 2013 at 6:48 pm

My husband and I look forward every week to this good all American family show. It seems every show with meaning that portrays a families ups and downs is always cancelled. This was a show that touched our hearts and that any family should be able to relate to. I am so tired of all the reality shows. These actors are talented and touched our hearts. I do not understand why the reality shows hang in longer than the a good all American family story. We will be disappointed if the show does not go on. Please find a way to keep it going!

peggy April 18, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Please don’t cancel the best family show on tv. I look forward to it each season and couldn’t believe there were so few episodes this year. Every family can relate to the situations that occur in this show.

Nancy Sallade April 8, 2013 at 8:00 pm

This is my favorite show! It has everything. Has it been cancelled? I can’t find out anything and it is already April. I am afraid you have used bad judgment and cancelled this great show if favor of others which are just silly and offensive. Why do you feel you have to play to the lowest element of society? Surely there is room for this classy, realistic, show.

nancy April 2, 2013 at 12:49 pm

I really love this show, look forward to Tues nite just to see it. What a shame we are forced to watch another realty show just to make the network more profit. Too bad, I will have to read instead

marge March 27, 2013 at 12:17 am

Can’t believe that such a wonderful show is being cancelled…What are the Stations thinking… This is true family situations…Always refreshing to watch. TV shows are getting so bad. Never anything worth watching…..Guess it’s time to go back to reading books.. Can’t believe this.

Lena March 26, 2013 at 7:19 pm

I REALLY LOVE THE SHO, ITS REAL LIFE. THE SHOW IS REAL, FUNNY, AND JUST EXCELLENT MY SONS AN I REALLY ENJOY THE SHOW. I THINK IT COULD MAKE IT ANOTHER SEASON, PLEASE DON’T CANCEL THE SHOW!!!!

Bacardi March 20, 2013 at 3:37 pm

I like the sshow….real life situations with family

Anonymous March 14, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Also REALLY LOVE the show,great cast and brilliant story lines.. PLEASE bring it back