Persons Unknown: New NBC Mystery Series; Cancel or Keep It?

Persons UnknownThe peacock network recently premiered a new mystery series for the summer called Persons Unknown. Will the series last? Will viewers get answers to their questions or be left hanging?

Persons Unknown revolves around a group of strangers who wake up in a strange hotel and find that they’re in a ghost town and unable to leave. They see security cameras observing them and their unknown captors create mistrust among the group by offering freedom if they hurt the others. The cast includes Chadwick Boseman, Lee Purcell, Jason Wiles, Andy Greenfield, Daisy Betts, Tina Holmes, Alan Ruck, Kate Lang Johnson, Sean O’Bryan, and Gerald Kyd.

The NBC mystery series debuted on June 7th to very disappointing ratings. The premiere attracted a poor 1.4 rating in the 18-49 demographic and just 4.38 million viewers. That represents a distant third place for the timeslot and is an even worse performance than last year’s I’m a Celebrity… Get Me Out of Here!.

In week two, the numbers dropped to a 1.2 rating and 3.52 total viewers. Episode three’s ratings dropped even further to a 1.0 in the demo and only 2.87 million viewers. How much lower can the numbers go?

The network is promoting Persons Unknown as a mini-series and say that all viewer questions will be answered by the end of the 13th episode. There have been talks that if the show is successful, it could return for a second season (like CBS’ Harper’s Island). The series was created with international buyers in mind so if it’s successful in other countries, year two could be forthcoming (ala The Listener). However, with ratings like these, NBC wouldn’t likely have an interest in buying it.

TV show supportActually, the peacock network could pull the show off the air before all of the current episodes have even aired. NBC has moved it up to 8pm for the next couple weeks, trying to attract a few more viewers. Hopefully, the network will let all 13 episodes air and allow faithful viewers to see the story reach its conclusion. At this point, a move to Saturday nights or forcing people to watch episodes online wouldn’t come as a surprise.

What do you think? Is Persons Unknown worth watching or would you just cancel it before all the episodes have aired?

Canceled and renewed TV show

428 Comments on "Persons Unknown: New NBC Mystery Series; Cancel or Keep It?"

Notify of

Thorsman
Thorsman
July 5, 2010 6:09 pm

You don’t think that maybe the reason these shows always seem to fair so poorly is that people are afraid to become invested in them because you can’t count on the network to stick with it long enough to finish them out? See Happy Town, Harper’s Island, and Jericho for details.

LucindaLewis
July 5, 2010 4:14 pm

For fans of the show you might want to see the Facebook page. Many of the fans are expressing the same sentiment that you are on here. That NBC has no one to blame for the show failing but NBC’s publicity department for dropping the ball. Sadly, the major networks don’t know how to promote a show that isn’t a boring old standard family series like Eight is Enough. All these new, more unique niche market series have an audience but will rarely be seen.

Feel free to check out the Facebook Group.

Anon1968
Anon1968
July 5, 2010 11:30 am

I just found Persons Unknown yesterday through ON Demand which is a part of Comcast. I watched all 4 episodes in one day. I then searched the guide for it and there is no listing of it coming on television for the next few weeks. I am very disappointed. I hope NBC will not take it off the air. I don’t recall any adverstising for it I accidentally found it and hope to see more.

Bridget
Bridget
July 5, 2010 1:43 am
I LOVE THIS SHOW!!! I think we still need some great shows to watch in the summer. This one has been awesome! Apparently, a whole lot less people follow summer programs but for those of us who do, I wish NBC & several other networks would take heart and stop pulling programs off the air that people look forward to each week! Remember Kath & Kim? So FUNNY! They yanked that off the fall schedule, so why not show it in the summer? Same with In The Motherhood on ABC. Another favorite of mine was Mental on FOX. Just when… Read more »
Nate
Nate
July 4, 2010 10:11 pm

Please give it a chance…NBC can replay the episodes during the fall season “downtime” instead of other repeats. Then promote the DVD hardcore. Finally, when the second season starts, pick a timeslot and STICK WITH IT!!!

Shannon
Shannon
July 3, 2010 6:17 pm
Persons Unknown is a good show. A good show that sadly got no real promotion from NBC and when it didn’t immediately have millions and millions of viewers NBC suddenly moves it to a new time slot. Moving new shows to different time slots does nothing but confuse the viewers a show already has and drops the ratings. I actually convineced a couple of people to watch it. Low and behold they missed it because NBC changed the time slot. Two shows in and a time change does not make a high viewer show. Two shows in and a time… Read more »
Brooke
Brooke
July 3, 2010 12:46 pm

This show is a MINISERIES, you idiots! It only has 13 episodes. There will not be another season. That’s why it’s called a miniseries.

Nate
Nate
July 6, 2010 10:36 am
Don’t be a troll. This was actually a decent comment section for once. No one on this page was saying anything negative until you came on and started calling everyone idiots. I don’t care if that’s how they do it in middle school, in the real world, adults don’t just sign up to give negative comments. And for the record, they were planning to make it a regular series, but producer Remi Aubuchon and NBC wanted to make it feel more like a summer “event” and Aubuchon wanted to end with less cliffhangers. So he felt that calling it a… Read more »
LucindaLewis
July 6, 2010 11:41 am
@Nate … I hate to burst your bubble, but being angry and spewing hate rants at people that post on boards and insulting a money making enterprise like Twilight isn’t a way to earn friends or followers. NBC reads all the posts and if they see that it brings hate filled rants and psychotic threats to people that don’t agree with one thing or another, the execs PULL the show even faster. Sadly, Persons Unknown is tanking with the vast majority of viewers even faster than the 10pm Jay Leno show. There was NEVER any talk of this series going… Read more »
Nate
Nate
July 6, 2010 12:45 pm
I’m not living in a bubble, just reality. And the reality is that my source, if you had actually read my reply, was the show’s executive producer Remi Aubuchon. In an interview he gave, he stated the show was going to be an on-going series, but he and NBC decided they wanted a more event-style feel and more closure. They felt they could springboard off of this if the network wanted another season. I already typed that, but you must have missed it in my last comments. And yes, it is tanking, but that is the network’s fault for little… Read more »
chuck w.
chuck w.
July 3, 2010 8:42 am

I also missed last weeks episode was afraid this show was canceled. I really hope they show thewhole season and would like to see another season. Well guess all we can do is cross our fingers and hope for it!

Cheryl
Cheryl
July 5, 2010 1:18 pm

Keep the show. In my house we look forward to every episode. We love the cast and all the questions.

Patti
Patti
July 2, 2010 7:58 pm

I watched the first show and was immediatley addicted taped the second show but when I watched it it was a different show. Please don’t cancel it. It wasn’t advertised properly

I Ruin Websites
I Ruin Websites
July 2, 2010 12:22 am

F.Y.I. If you love the show do one of two things.
1. Start a Fan Site ( websites,blog,forums)
2. Tweet about it on twitter and tell your friends too, also mark it up on facebook and YouTube.

Those are some of the best ways to get great shows known.

Me
Me
July 2, 2010 6:51 pm

There’s also a fan page on Facebook, I posted on there not to cancel!

Ellen Klowden
Ellen Klowden
July 1, 2010 9:21 am

I spent several hours yesterday participating in theory threads. I really want to know what the motives are behind the actions taken by the perpetrators.

sosdeb
sosdeb
July 1, 2010 6:09 am

I have watched from the start. I really want to see it through to the conclusion. This week we can see that not all are in the dark and that is very exciting. In the Long hot Summer it is nice to have a mystery to solve.

Anonymous
Anonymous
June 30, 2010 6:42 pm

Persons Unknown is soooo worth watching…don’t pull the plug…

Herb Finn
Herb Finn
June 30, 2010 5:04 pm

They should have been airing it on Saturday in the begining – then they could be sure to get low but stable numbers.

Michel
Michel
June 30, 2010 3:49 pm

I love the show. It is a keeper for me.

wpDiscuz