Privileged: CW Series Cancelled, No Season Two for Joanna Garcia and Company

PrivilegedThough it was looking like the underperforming CW series had a chance at survival, the network has decided to pull the plug on Privileged.

Privileged follows the story of Megan Smith (Joanna Garcia), a perky young journalist who becomes a live-in tutor for two wealthy teenage girls (Lucy Hale and Ashley Newbrough). Others in the cast include Michael Cassidy, Allan Louis, Brian Hallisay, Kristina Apgar, and Anne Archer.

Despite positive reviews and buzz, Privileged debuted on September 9, 2008 to just 2.64 million viewers and a 1.2/3 rating/share of the 18-49 demographic. Those numbers weren’t great for the junior network and ratings for subsequent episodes fell significantly over the rest of the season.

The network made multiple attempts to boost the show’s audience — giving it more exposure by rerunning episodes in various timeslot — but most viewers just didn’t seem to be particularly interested.

Though the ratings certainly hadn’t mandated it, the network had been considering bringing Privileged back for another season. A few weeks ago, it was announced that the CW would rerun the series during the summer months, an indication that the series still potentially had a future.

But, though Privileged matches the CW’s target demographic, the network has ultimately decided to cancel it. The CW has several potentially strong new series in the hopper and would rather take a chance on them.

Following the cancellation news, series creator Rina Mimoun wrote to Michael Ausiello, “It’s truly heartbreaking. I’m so grateful to everyone out there who supported our little show and fell in love with Megan Smith. She was the most delightful character I’ve ever had the pleasure to write and watching JoAnna Garcia bring her to life every day was a gift I will never forget.”

She concluded, “I’m incredibly proud of the work we did and forever indebted to all the fans, critics and to Warner Bros. for being so wonderful and supportive. I will miss this more than you know.”

How would Megan’s story have ended? We may likely never find out.

Sammy November 16, 2009 at 12:39 pm

This makes me very sad it was an excellent show! I have just finished the first season in the UK and went straight to look when the next one began…. Please make season two!!!

Anonymous November 1, 2009 at 8:34 pm

Super Bummed to find out we will not be hearing the rest of Megans Story!! What a shame!

Helen October 29, 2009 at 12:07 pm

This is real upsetting! I was really hoping and looking forward to a season two! How will we ever know what happened with Megan and that amazingly handsome guy she was dating? It was to be continued…. CW, how could you ruin the suspence lingering through many!?!?!? Tist tist on you… I haven’t found not one other chow on the CW that I religiously watch. I was so dedicated to this show that I even recorded it via DVR if I was VERY busy doing something else. If it wasn’t something important, I drop what I’m doing just to sit there and watch it! This show was even one of my husbands guilty pleasures! He enjoyed this show! No more CW for me… I’ll stick to USA, FOX and Lifetime!

Kuon October 25, 2009 at 4:22 am

URGH!! This is SO unfair!! WHY?!! They could make big bucks with it and make hell of a story that could very well beat Twilight and Desperate Housewives got damn it!! They’d make everyone watching it so happy with all the comedy and romance stuff other than making big bucks!! WHY?!! How could they be so SELFISH?!! NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Twisted October 15, 2009 at 6:19 am

Not every show is going to be an instant hit. Why wouldn’t you give it a chance? Most of the people I work with had never even heard of it. Market it more widely.

Anonymous October 9, 2009 at 7:30 pm

I hate the CW now…im going to tell all my friends to not watch it until Privileged is back on!!!!! IT IS SUCH A FRICKING GREAT SHOWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hannah October 9, 2009 at 3:49 pm

so sad its not being continued!

savanah October 9, 2009 at 7:58 am

It is so disappointing. The season finale left us hanging. It does have a lot of potential stories ahead. Why do you always cancel a great show like this. Please bring it back. Even just for one season so we can know how the story megan will end.

Niki October 5, 2009 at 9:25 am

I love this show….i want it back and want to know how it ends!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stef October 2, 2009 at 12:26 am

noooooooooooooooooooo cant believe its cancelled. best show everrr

Andrea September 29, 2009 at 8:41 pm

So sad! I loved this show and watched it every week. I’m so disappointed that it won’t be on and we won’t get to see how things turned out for everyone. Please bring the show back!!!! It was one of the few on TV that I enjoyed watching.

Lauren September 29, 2009 at 5:09 pm

I am so disappointed to see that the show has been canceled! I had no idea the ratings were not good last season! I watched the show faithfully, in fact, it was my favorite over Grey’s Anatomy and Desperate Housewives!!! I love Joanna Garcia, and would love to see the show return!

Lauren
Tucson, AZ

Anonymous September 28, 2009 at 6:45 pm

I really enjoyed this show…will miss it dearly…looked forward to it every week. What can you do?

Amanda September 24, 2009 at 3:04 pm

WHY!!!! I thought this show was great. I love Joanna Garcia. They should take off Gossip Girl, I really do not like that show. For once this was a show on the WB that made since to me since Buffy and Angel. PLEASE, PLEASE,PLEASE bring it back!

Anonymous September 22, 2009 at 7:53 pm

this sucks!! they could have at least ended it where we aren’t all left wondering what was going to happen!! Terrible Decision CW!