Queer Eye for the Straight Guy: Bravo Fab Five Say Goodbye

Queer Eye for the Straight Guy on BravoYou may recall back in August that we published a story about the imminent demise of Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. The tip came from an interview with Queer Eye’s self-proclaimed “Cultural Vulture” Jai Rodriguez himself. Bravo very quickly denied the show’s demise and said that a decision wouldn’t be made until the end of the year. Well, it appears Rodriguez was correct and the series’ goose is now officially cooked.

Queer Eye began airing on July 15, 2003 and quickly became a breakout hit for Bravo. The show stars five openly gay men as they help culturally transform a male “victim;” providing makeover for his wardrobe, appearance, home and overall style. The “Fab Five” experts are comprised of Rodriguez, Carson Kressley, Kyan Douglas, Ted Allen and Thom Filicia. (Incidentally, though it may seem like they’ve been together for all 90 episodes, only Kressley and Allen have been part of the show since the pilot episode.)

The show has been so popular that it’s inspired versions in various foreign countries and languages. In addition, a Los Angeles-based spin-off series, Queer Eye for the Straight Girl, debuted in 2005 and was cancelled after one season. Now the original has been put to rest as well.

Bravo has announced that the 10 episodes of Queer Eye: The Final Season will begin airing this summer. A special episode will commemorate the finale, perhaps reuniting the five — since the last episodes were shot last summer when the cast supposedly had no idea about the cancellation. Interestingly enough, Bravo has also announced plans for a similar makeover show starring Project Runway judge Tim Gunn.

But you don’t have to worry about missing the “Fab Five.” They’re all very active in other projects and shows. Filicia, for one, just announced that he is hosting a home makeover show for Bravo competitor the Style Network.

NBC Universal has also been pushing reruns of Queer Eye. The distributor is pushing suggesting affiliates use the show to fill the slot left by the recently cancelled Megan Mullally Show. Chances are you’ll see the Queer Eye guys popping up on daily NBC daytime schedules by the beginning of February.

Canceled and renewed TV show

32 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Walter says

Will the Fab 5 episode filmed on horseback in Central Park, NY be shown this summer? Seemed to be a great idea. Sorry the show was cancelled, hope to see it continued during the 11 a.m. slot weekdays.

2. shelly says

what is the tease all about. ive been watching the show faithfully and it is my laugh medicine for the day. even though i love all the guys that carson was a diamond in the ruff. if i could find the qualities of all 5 men rolled into one straight guy that would be great, but for now i need my FAB FIVE please NBC reconsider. if only you knew what youve done to so many of us. give us our girls back!!!!!

3. April says

I can’t believe you would take that show off the air!!! What are you thinking??!! Best daytime show around. Bravo must not have been paying them enough. It was my daytime therapy, pick-me-up and entertainment rolled into one!

4. ME says

What happened to the ***** eye on NBC at 3:00pm??? Please PLEASE put it back!!! It’s entertaining and we love watching it. Don’t want to watch that soap!

5. Barbara says

Why can’t you just leave well enough alone??!! We love the show please put it back on at 3:00 or anytime and let us enjoy a great show.

6. Dar says

What happened to ***** Eye at 11 am on weekdays? I looked forward to their excellent advice, good deeds and humor every day, and was soooo disappointed to find the show wasn’t on this morning! I love the Fab 5–the best 5 people on TV!!!! Please do not deprive us of the Fab 5, NBC!!!

7. Klaus Hergesheimer says

If NBC were really on the ball, they’d pick up ***** Eye as a limited series of say two to four specials to air during the year.

8. says

I would hope that ***** Eye would make a come back. As i am a staunch follower of all of the episodes ever since it started airing on Malayisan television.
    I am indeed shocked or stunned at the immediate dismiss of ***** Eye. In fact, the five of you are my idols. It is definitely a great loss to the reality show industry, I would say. Anyway, the Fab Five will always be remembered. Wishing all the best to the Fab Five in their future undertakings!!!.

9. David M. says

I am deeply hurt that Fab 5 is no longer airing on TV anymore. I actually met Carson while actually taping one of the now last episodes of ***** Eye at my former job, Mexx. He was really flirtatious. Of course, I had to flirt back. I think that’s how I was able to be on camera. Anyway, I will miss the show and I wish the five well in their future endeavors. David

10. Peggy says

I am truly saddened that the Fab 5 are over,my daughter and I watched it faithfully. we loved them all. they’re such a hoot. I wish they’d come back.

11. Janet says

It’s actually not true, that the 5 didn’t know when they finished taping if they would be coming back or not. Everyone on the show knew ***** Eye was going to be ending for good that summer as early as December 2005. The reason the show ended was because the Fab Five’s contracts were due to end in August 2006 and none of them wanted to renew. The nonsense about waiting till the end of the year to decide is total bs. By the end of last summer, they’d already broken the production, relocated to LA (Scout don’t even have an office in NY anymore) and all the cast amd crew had found new jobs.
    The finale is a “straight guy pageant” where 25 of the past makeovers compete in shaving, cake deocrating and flower arranging contests to be named Mr Straight Guy. It was taped before a live studio audience, mostly fans, so it’s totally stupid for Bravo to now think that can keep it secret.