Rake: Greg Kinnear TV Show Cancelled by FOX

Rake ratingsFOX has officially cancelled the Rake TV series. The news comes as no surprise and leaves the dark comedy with one episode unaired.

Rake follows a lawyer (Greg Kinnear) who tries to do good but just can’t seem to get beyond his numerous addictions that cause him so much trouble. The cast also includes John Ortiz, Necar Zadegan, Bojana Novakovic, David Harbour, Tara Summers, Miranda Otto, and Ian Colletti.

The show got off to a poor start on Thursday, January 23rd, and the ratings dropped lower in subsequent weeks. After seven episodes, the network sent the series to Friday night where the ratings got much worse — even by Friday night standards. FOX aired two more installments on a Saturday night and has yet to release the final episode.

What do you think? Do you think this show sould have been cancelled? Are you sorry that there won’t be a second season of Rake?

252 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. John C says

Do the people in charge watch tv or just look at ratings? I’m bummed. I would have thought Fox was a good fit but maybe they should put this one on FX.

2. robert saia says

Another FOX screwup. My 80 year old parents watch only sports, so I thought. My mother calls me in tells me that I have to see a show called RAKE. I don’t have time; show gets cancelled. If my parents like it, then it has to be good, right? Wrong. I watch the 5 full episodes online TWICE and realize that this is not good, but GREAT. I remember when Fox cancelled Family Guy, twice! for a dark comedy, it takes time to establish an audience. Too bad, great show, good writing and better than decent acting. This show has some talent behind it, too bad FOX cannot see the forest through the trees.

3. empb says

If you haven’t yet watched all 3 seasons of the Australian Original (Total 24 Episodes, 3 x 8), you should. And if you missed any of the 13 Episodes of the US Remake you need to see them (In the correct running order – “FOX” totally screwed that up!).

“RAKE” is quite simply the best (with the exception of some fantasy or sci-fi shows) TV I have seen for years, still hoping Richard Roxburgh gives in and a Fourth ABC Network-Australian Series hits our Small Screens…….FOX shame on you for cancelling the US remake after you messed it up by not running the episodes in the correct order….

4. Darik says

Greg Kinnear was brilliant. The dialogue was witty and seemed to have the makings of a show with longevity. Surprised and still very disappointed that the network pulled the trigger on this one.

5. Petty says

Shows such as Seinfeld got off to a rocky start, but the rest was history wasn’t it? Sometimes you have to give a show like Rake more time to find its intelligent audience. Greg Kinnear is awesome! I guess we’re doomed to watching Bachelor/Bachelorette, Big Brother and such. Very sad.

6. Doug Walker says

What cancell a good show. Like your news but when you had a winner you turned around and cancelled it. Sounds like Harry Reed in charge of Fox series.

7. Breal says

An original show that’s fun to watch–of course they cancelled it. They’ll probably replace it with another stupid sit com or cookie cutter police show. Please reconsider!

8. Anonymous says

This show was truly underrated – very very funny and Greg Kinnear was fantastic. Brilliant comic timing. So sad it’s been cancelled – and there’s so much junk out there.

9. says

I just found this show On Demand and although I could only watch 2 episodes I found it delightful, witty and funny. I barely remember it being advertised but saw Greg was in it and like him. Not sure how I missed it. Too bad.