Reunion: Killer’s Identity Revealed for Cancelled Fox Show

The short-lived show Reunion, created by Jon Harmon Feldman (who also created the prematurely cancelled 2003-05 series, Tru Calling), centers on the lives of six friends. The show premiered with the murder of one of the friends at a 20-year high school reunion. The series then followed the criminal investigation in the present, while flashing back to the characters’ past – one episode covering one year of their lives, starting with 1986 and working forward to the present.

To date, nine episodes have aired and 13 have been produced. Production was halted after the show was cancelled and its 13 episode original order (up to 1998, eight years before the murder happened) were completed.

Reunion castAs a result, viewers were left hanging. Creator Feldman said that, because of the nature of the show, it was unlikely that the killer of Alexa Davalos’ character “Samantha” would ever be revealed.

In December, Feldman said “The show was intricately plotted over 22 episodes to tell the full story of our characters’ lives (and deaths). Because the events of Samantha’s murder are partially reliant on characters we haven’t yet met – and events we haven’t yet seen – there is no way to solve the mystery of her murder without being able to complete the full arc of our story through present-day.”

Despite an outpouring of fan support, it doesn’t look like the show will be resurrected but a FOX executive has given a clue as to the identity of who the killer was (probably) going to be.

At the recent Television Critics Association press tour, FOX Entertainment president Peter Ligouri discussed the show’s premature finish. Ligouri shared, “Reunion was particularly cumbersome in terms of trying to provide an ending for the audience. How [creator Jon Harmon Feldman] was laying out the show to gap those additional years was an incredibly complex path. There were a number of options, and he didn’t make a definitive decision on which option he was going to go with as to who the killer was, and there was just no way to accelerate that time.”

He went on to say that the network and the show’s writers talked about several options for the killer’s identity, but “the best guess was (at that particular time) that it was going to be Sam’s daughter,” whom she had given up for adoption in the first episodes. The exact reason for the murder remains a mystery.

Despite the show’s failure to find an audience (averaging 4.3 million viewers), Ligouri said FOX won’t shy away from trying unique forms of storytelling in the future.

“It is regrettable when stories end before their time. I don’t think that should stop us from being ambitious with serialized storytelling. We put these shows on and we’re going to continue to put these shows on every year with every good intention to end them, but eventually the audience votes.” TV Series Finale home page

Sara October 6, 2011 at 1:47 pm

I have a question , why did will become a priest ?!

Angel September 1, 2011 at 5:27 am

i have just watched part of this movie recently… looking forward to watching other episodes but could anyone tell mi who killed ‘Dr. Samatha Brewster’ ?????

Lau February 1, 2011 at 9:17 pm

considering out world runs on the internet & facebook…my friend & i decided to make this page:

may work, may not. but we will never know unless we try. if we get enough people to join….we can find a way to get our finale. so please “like” the page…6 years is too long! we need our questions answered! [& tell your friends & fellow "reunion" fans to like it too!]

Niki January 27, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Seriously!!!
You cancel THIS, then go on with the OC for a couple of seasons, cancel THAT, and instead put on the new CRAP you currently air?!

I won’t say that you should learn by their example, cause seriously they don’t even HAVE shows worth writing about, but look at the CW network! Like their hit show Gossip Girl or their HIGHEST rated shows Vampire Diaries and Smallville… they are NO WAY NEAR your ratings, hell, they aren’t even near half! And STILL they continue to air that Gossip Girl incest sexist show for FOUR seasons or something, and YOU can’t air decent 21 episodes! This with the cast that star in Blockbuster movies such as Clash of the Titans?!

Get over yourselves, who do you think you are – the CNN! If THIS is how you treat your fans and your actors/employees then why do you even wonder about the low ratings? Who would want to watch a show when we know there’s 70% chance it will never be finished. I mean there are channels such as the CW who just milk it overtime, and they should take some of your style in consideration, FOX – but you go the exact opposite direction, which isn’t exactly great either.

The only good thing about this is that unlike with the OC, at least the show was cancelled before you let the producer ruin it! Then again the producer WAS NOT Josh Schwartz!

While we are on this topic – here’s an advise:
- Instead of wasting your time and money on an amateur with NO talent in the longrun, beyond creating misleading spoilers and promos more exciting than the actual episode – AKA Josh Schwartz, why don’t you invest in people who ACTUALLY took classes in writing and production and not go for some spoiled rich kid with a legacy – a lousy legacy at that.

Florence January 10, 2011 at 1:31 am

I still cant believe that i will not watch the final episodes…..this is so painful …Fox please try and do something

Lisa June 3, 2010 at 6:15 pm

I just started thinking about this show and decided to google it & this was the first result. I miss this show, I was completely intrigued & then BAM! Nothing. No warning or anything. This was actually my last straw with FOX. Everytime I get into a show on FOX they just cancel it. I was completely head over heels with the O.C and they cancelled that & it had a HUGE following! Still does, everyone I know own the seasons on DVD. Since they cancelled reunion I have yet to watch any show on FOX. Face it FOX execs, none of your shows are gonna get ratings through the roof because you’re not a trustworthy channel. If viewers can’t trust you to not cancel every show that doesn’t get ABC, CBS & NBC style ratings, they wont watch your short lived shows!

Autumn May 29, 2010 at 10:01 am

Actually there is a facebook group trying to start a petition and one o the people have already contacted fox and they claim to have no
idea what she was talking about but in sure if they get enough calls then they could possibly Put he show back up.

kak March 7, 2010 at 10:28 pm

i agree, i liked this show and after all these years i think about this show and how much it really bugs me that i don’t know how it ends! its like taking candy from a baby, how can you cancel a show after airing 9 episodes. its like the writers were to lazy to complete there complicated story line.

RMC January 15, 2010 at 10:59 am

I LOVED this show! I so wish it would have finished airing the entire story.

Steve S November 13, 2009 at 8:22 am

All these years later, and I am still so mad they cancelled this! This show was awesome, one of my favorite all time! I am talking up there with the orignal 90210, Party of 5, Kings Of Queens, Seinfeld, etc.! I don’t even understand the explanation of why it was cancelled? They say they couldn’t come up with how to connect the eposides or something? Like someone else suggested, maybe have a movie to wrap it up, if you don’t want to finish the series. Same thing happened to another of my favorite shows, Freaks and Geeks(but that was a sitcom, so not the same). Is there any petition we can start and send to Fox or start a group on faceboook?

B February 13, 2010 at 7:28 pm

couldn’t agree more. i want an ending’

Jenna September 26, 2009 at 8:58 am

I would LOVE for this show to come back…I STILL think about how good it was and that I don’t know what happened!!!

Lisa September 25, 2009 at 5:03 pm

I couldn’t believe this show was cancelled, me and my friends loved to watch it. It was definitely one of the best shows on TV and by far my favorite…please please please bring this back and keep all of the actors/actresses that originally played in the series.

debbs September 18, 2009 at 8:39 am

hey am in Uganda in africa we have just recieved reunion and o mu shock dats it???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

matt July 30, 2009 at 2:06 am

hey does anyone know the name of the song that was used in the promotional video… it went like this… para pa pa pa parapa para pa pa pa parapa … sorry for that but its the only way I can describe it

MissInformed March 24, 2011 at 7:57 am

The song is called “Hazy Shade of Winter.” You did a good job with spelling out the music. :-)

Clarissa July 29, 2009 at 7:49 pm

É verdade. No meu ponto de vista o Reunion é incrível e deveria voltar, por favor. Eu acompanhava sempre quando sumiu e agora relembrando vim procurar algo e estou aqui.