Ripper Street

ripper street tv showNetwork: BBC America
Episodes: Ongoing (hour)
Seasons: Ongoing

TV show dates: January 19, 2013 — TBD
Series status: Cancelled but then revived

Performers include: Matthew Macfadyen, Jerome Flynn, Adam Rothenberg, MyAnna Buring, Charlene McKenna, Amanda Hale, Jonathan Barnwell, David Wilmot, and David Dawson.

TV show description:
This dramatic TV show begins in April 1889 in London — six months after the last Jack the Ripper killing. H Division is responsible for policing one and a quarter square miles of East London, a district with a population of 67,000 poor and dispossessed and also filled with factories, rookeries, chop shops, brothels and pubs.

The men of H Division had hunted Jack the Ripper and failed to find him. When more women are murdered on the streets of Whitechapel, the police begin to wonder if the killer has returned.

To investigate the killings, calm and meticulous Detective Inspector Edmund Reid (Matthew Macfadyen) and his troubled right-hand-man, Detective Sergeant Bennett Drake (Jerome Flynn), team up with Captain Homer Jackson (Adam Rothenberg), a US Army surgeon and a former Pinkerton detective who’s an expert in the world of early forensics.

They cross paths with Tenter Street brothel madam Long Susan (MyAnna Buring). She and Jackson came to London from America and both reside at the brothel. Their relationship has become strained due to Jackson’s attraction to one of Long’s most profitable girls, Rose Erskine (Charlene McKenna). Rose longs to break free from her role in Whitechapel and travel the world.

Despite her husband’s reservations, Reid’s once-happy wife — Emily Reid (Amanda Hale) — is determined to make a new life by helping the fallen women of Whitechapel though she’s still troubled by a terrible family tragedy. Meanwhile, sensationalist newspaperman Fred Best (David Dawson) knows a dark secret about the Reids’ sorrow.

Series Finale:
Episode #TBD
This TV series has not ended yet.
First aired: TBD

What do you think? Do you like the Ripper Street TV series? Do you think it should be cancelled or renewed for another season?

Canceled and renewed TV show

84 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Cessna Smith says

Very good acting, writing, scenes are realistic, and altogether a gripping drama series. I would very much like it to continue.

2. Joni says

LOVE – LOVE – LOVE RIPPER STREET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can’t wait for the new season to start!!! Love Matthew MacFadyen!!!

3. Victoria says

Can’t WAIT FOR MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOVE THIS SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT IS LIKE WAITING FOR THE GAME OF THRONES TO START!!!!!!!!!!! ANTICIPATION IS A REAL DRIVING FORCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JUST DON’T DISAPPOINT!!!!!!!! WE LOVE THIS SHOW!!!!! MY HUSBAND AND I CAN’T WAIT TO TURN OFF THE PHONES AND SETTLE DOWN FOR OUR FAVORITE SHOWS AND I DVR THEM ALL!!!!!!!!!!!! I SOMETIMES REPEAT WATCH SO THAT IF I MISSED A TIDBIT ON THE FIRST VIEWING I GET IT THE SECOND TIME AROUND. FANTASTIC SHOWS!!!!!

4. Rob in Seattle says

I’ve only seen the 8 episodes and I’ve really been drawn in . Would hate to think that was all.

5. says

I love this show!! I hope it continues for many seasons!! I’m watching it for the second time and see things I missed each time… Please keep it going!!

6. D.G. says

As to “Ripper Street” – renewed or cancelled – which is it? One source says,”ongoing” and with in the same paragraph it says. “cancelled.” I hope it is the former. Hooked our whole family immediately. We love the BBC. Well written characters, well researched and splendid acting. Hope they continue with it. We also miss “Hell On Wheels” and “Longmire”. Why is it that some —- can continue on and on and others don’t get the chance they deserve. I know, it’s all about ratings and what the competition is. “Zero Hour” was at the same time as “The Big Bang Theory” so we recorded one to watch later. Now it’s gone. It had potential.

7. Victoria says

LOVE THIS SHOW!!!!! MY HUSBAND AND I FIX OUR DATE NIGHTS AROUND OUR FAVORITE SHOWS!!!! WHEN IS HELL ON WHEELS COMING BACK??? LONGMIRE??? COPPER??????? SMASH IS ANOTHER ONE!!!! CAN’T GET ENOUGH OF THESE SHOWS!!!!! KEEP THEM COMING!!!!