So You Think You Can Dance: Renewed for Summer 2014

so you think you can dance season 10During tonight’s live season finale, judge and co-creator Nigel Lythgoe announced that So You Think You Can Dance has been renewed for an 11th season which will air next summer. He noted that he’d received the good news from FOX just five minutes before going on the air.

Tonight’s live episode is being split into two parts — airing from 8-9pm and then from 9:30-10pm — due to the President’s address.

The program has been airing just once a week this season and has continued to slide in the ratings. Last summer averaged a 2.0 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 5.47 million total viewers. To date, this season’s been averaging a 1.6 rating with 4.47 million.

FOX hasn’t made an official announcement yet but one is expected to be be forthcoming. It’s also expected that the series will continue to air just once a week.

What do you think? Are you a fan of the series? Do you prefer one or two episodes a week?

Theo March 26, 2014 at 1:17 pm

Would love to see it twice a week so that the contestants can showcase more of their talent and so that viewers like myself are granted the opportunity to see it. This is one of the VERY BEST shows on television today and it is a joy to watch. The music and dancing, the dedication from the dancers and choreographers all mix to produce not only a platform in which talented, motivated and determined young people can showcase their talent but it also lets other young talented individuals realize and appreciate the power of music and dance and gives them pride in their gifts. This has been and is more than a television show to me. I’ve had multiple times where a dance routine performed on that stage related directly to something I was going through and it has actually proven on numerous occasions to be cathartic and an unexpected comforter. This show is a God-send and the world needs more of it.

bri March 26, 2014 at 12:39 am

I love watching this show. They really allow people the chance to learn different styles of dance and give them a chance towards a dance career. It also builds self esteem within the dancers ad well as teaches them how to become a better dancer.
Does it show in the ratings the people who DVR the show? I’m one of those people who record everything to watch later because I cant always be home to watch it plus I really can’t stand watching commercials so I fast forward through them. Maybe more people are recording it and watching it later on and that doesn’t show up in the ratings?
But anyhow I really think they should go back to 2 shows a week. I really loved that season when they had it like that. It also gave the dancers a chance to show more of what they can do. Please don’t cancel the show.

Carolyn March 19, 2014 at 7:55 pm

Twice a week, please. Can’t get enough watching amazing talented young people.

Debra-Ann March 17, 2014 at 8:01 pm

I would like to see it go back to two nights a week. I think that the show seemed very rushed. I have been watching since season 1 and I think that trying to pack everything into one evening was just too much. I know that TV time costs the earth, but on the other hand if you still want people to watch the show, I think the two night format was a better fit.

C March 7, 2014 at 9:42 pm

Twice a week!

Dave Weinberg February 4, 2014 at 1:42 pm

There are so many things that make this show great! the dancers, the Choreographers, and most importantly the judges. I love the fact that they’re there to help the contestants. Not to argue in bicker with each other like most other reality shows. This show has everything! Drama, comedy, talent, class and all of that. Of all the reality shows this would be my favorite. I recording every show, and I’m quite upset when the show is over, I wanted it to just keep going. Two shows a week would be a fantastic.

anita williams December 15, 2013 at 11:14 am

love this show if I cant be home to watch I always record it, my mom is restricted on what she can see so she dosent watch much tv anymore but she always watches so you think you can dance hope it goes on for many years to come we need good shows like this. One night a week or two nights I will be there, and so will my mom and dad.

Bonnie LaFever November 27, 2013 at 12:34 pm

I am 68 yrs old. I have not missed a season since the first season. Being handicapped, I have found, ” So You Think You Can Dance”, gives me something to look forward to. I have my phone on speaker phone while I go back and forth with my friends discussing each dancer. I prefer 2 nights. I like the way the show flows better with 2nights.

Carole September 11, 2013 at 10:41 am

This is one of my very favorite shows and I’m thankful for another season. I can’t get enough of it, so two weekly episodes would be wonderful. I usually wait until Vegas week to start watching, but the auditions were excellent this season. They had the personal touch and kept to the dancers with real talent. I also loved having Paula and Twitch as judges.