Spartacus: Starz Big Premiere Ratings; Cancel or Keep It?

Spartacus: Blood and SandWith much hoopla and some mixed reviews, Starz debuted their new original series, Spartacus, over the weekend. Did many watch? Will it survive?

The first season of the series, titled Spartacus: Blood and Sand, follows the legendary Roman gladiator with newcomer Andy Whitfield in the title role. The gritty series features the talents of Lucy Lawless, John Hannah, Peter Mensah, Manu Bennett, Viva Bianca, Craig Parker, Jai Courtney, Erin Cummings, Nick E. Tarabay, and Antonio Te Maioho.

According to THR, the series premiere of Spartacus drew 553,000 viewers on Starz and another 460,000 on Encore.

Is Spartacus worth watching?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

While those figures aren’t very big, they do represent Starz’s best performance in the pay-per-view channel’s short history of producing original series.

Starz estimates that viewership for the first episode, once re-showings and DVR viewing are added in, will surpass two million total viewers. It’s unknown if that number includes official online viewing via outlets like Netflix. The real test, of course, will be to see if viewership grows or falls in the coming weeks.

The series has already been renewed for a second season of 13 episodes so there’s no doubt that it’ll be back for season two.

But, what do you think? Is it worth watching or is the show finished in your house? Cancel or keep it?

Eric Lowery April 16, 2010 at 2:52 am

First of all, I have never written anything about any show that I ever loved or hated, but I felt that I needed to, no check that, WANTED, to write in support of Spartacus Blood and Sand. This is the most well conceived and well written series that I have ever seen, & I can imagine that the portrayal of life at the time is spot on. I hope this series is around for many years, and personally, I think STARZ, has hit one out of the park with this series, after all, this series alone caused me to add STARZ to my channel list. It is an amazing show and a wonderful thrill ride, one that I hope continues for a long time to come.

Anonymous April 16, 2010 at 4:08 am

Eric didn’t you anonymously, just 3 days ago post that you didn’t like the show? If not that anonymous posters pic, looks strikingly similar there Devil Dog! I really do love this Show!

orlando April 15, 2010 at 10:52 pm

I just saw the season finale!!!!!! Omg it was the best season finale ever!!! im happy and sad now!! happy that spartacus held it down!!!! sad that it is over…. now awaiting true blood then dexter than back to spartacus!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ryan April 15, 2010 at 5:41 pm

I am a classical history major at Michigan State University and this show is INCREDIBLY historically accurate. It is hands down my favorite show on TV and I watch Fringe, Heroes, Lost, 24, The Office, and South Park every week they are on the air.

shoaib haider April 14, 2010 at 11:23 am

best series ever known my whole family likes it and we are from Pakistan loved the the show must go on

Guest April 14, 2010 at 6:14 am

This series is the best thing to hit TV in decades! Great, great stuff – please keep it going.

sean April 13, 2010 at 8:32 pm

If I had heard right the real spartacus mass an army and held the romans at bay for a year and a half that would be sick. Could you imagine the possibilities of the drama and battle scenes

Valerie April 14, 2010 at 10:32 pm

Exactly. This show holds an epic future.

The 298 Spartan April 13, 2010 at 3:10 pm

I agree the best show ever ever made on TV!

sam April 13, 2010 at 2:14 pm

best show i have ever seen!

Luke April 12, 2010 at 6:01 pm

Can’t wait to see the season finale…

Fartakus April 12, 2010 at 1:11 pm

All I have to say is : Once again the gods have spread cheeks to ram c*&^ in @%%”.

Valerie April 14, 2010 at 10:31 pm

HAAAAAAAAAA Best. Line. EVER.

Epic Fail April 12, 2010 at 2:15 am

One of the most entertaining shows I’ve ever seen. Just when I thought that it couldn’t get any better, the authors and actors surprise me each time. A MUST watch. Can’t wait for the finale!

Meltdown April 11, 2010 at 3:25 pm

Incredible show! I’ve always loved the history around the Third Servile War, even as a kid. Loved the old Kirk Douglas movie, but this of course, is leaps and bounds better with the cast and more cutting edge special effects we have available today.

At any rate, this series must keep going. I’d love to see it encompass the story in its entirety. All the way from the Capuan Revolt to the last brutal charge near Rhegium.

tom smith April 11, 2010 at 7:11 am

I only watched the first two episodes and I thought it was a great show. I don’t have Starz in my cable network. I don’t care to pay the extra just for that show. So I will wait when its available on dvd unfortunately. But otherwise, I think its a great show and I like to watch something different that these reality shows. Very well acted.

Melissa April 10, 2010 at 10:28 pm

LOVE the show! Im a big history buff so I appreciate stories that represent past events! This is a must keep!

Zack Naea April 9, 2010 at 9:38 pm

I AM SPARTACUS
Hopefully the common viewer can appreciate the hard work it takes to put together something of this magnitude. The best part of this series is that it’s actually more historically accurate than Kubrick and Douglas’ first depiction of Spartacus. Not to put my man Stan down, but the comparison was needed to show the research involved. The slow start definately creates anxiety with thoughts of when the slave rebellion will start. However, the entertainment of gladiators and the constant conniving seems to captivate my attention AND EVERYONE ELSES. My only hope is that dumbass critics don’t effect the outcome of this show.

Anonymous April 13, 2010 at 2:45 pm

hey when you try to combine the cinematography from such movies as 300 and sin city, with horrible actors and shitty producers you get ” spartacus”

Valerie April 14, 2010 at 10:29 pm

I completely agree. Not only is it absolutely riveting, it is extremely historically accurate. I think it is fantastic and am completely addicted to it.