Star Trek: William Shatner’s “Done” with Former Castmates?

William ShatnerWilliam Shatner is the king of self promotion and seems to have conquered just about every area of mass media. Next Sunday, the second season of his talk show, Shatner’s Raw Nerve, debuts on Bio.

The former Captain Kirk is also known for having a healthy ego and it came out several years ago that he had hurt the feelings of some of his former Star Trek castmates — in particular Nichelle Nichols, George Takei, Walter Koenig, and the late James Doohan — while filming the series and the movies. Doohan refused to talk to Shatner in later years and Takei has explained how difficult it was to work with him.

In an interview with the NY Post, Shatner says that he’s not losing sleep over it. The interviewer asked if he thinks that he’s mellowed over the years, having rubbed some people the wrong way in the past.

The 78-year-old actor responded, “I really haven’t rubbed anyone the wrong way. I think you’re referring to some castmembers from Star Trek. I’ve asked them numerous times to see if I can assuage their bitterness. I don’t know what their problem is, quite frankly, so I’ve given up on trying to make it better. I don’t like any ill-feeling, and if there was something I could do to correct it I would. But nothing seems to work.”

What do you think? Does Shatner really care what they think or is it just for show?

petermca October 6, 2012 at 1:05 am

shatner and kirk have allways been up them self.

jim February 9, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Absolute garbage, linking the capacity to feel and human emotions to the existence of God, what a crock of shite

Sandra January 29, 2011 at 8:33 pm

William Shatner can be very abrasive and doesn’t care how his words affect people. At a Star Trek convention where he was paid to attend and speak before an audiance of his Star Trek fans, he made mocked his fans. Despite the fact that the fans had kept the Star Trek franchise alive and well, which he benefited financially from their efforts (ie. movie roles, merchandizing, etc.), he treated his fans like they were “freaks.” If he would treat fans like that who “adored” him, I could see how he could offend his co-stars on Star Trek. He is an ego-maniac and has been from the beginning of his career— his non-Star Trek performances are all laced with his inflated ego. Unfortunately, a person with an inflated ego is actually very insecure. People like Shatner act or perform this way because they don’t want people to see how vulnerable they actually are. Star Trek co-stars should just forgive him. After all, Shatner should be pitied. He will never be very happy.

Jerry February 28, 2010 at 3:21 am

The question is illogical. None of us can know if Shatner really cares, unless of course you use the Vulcan mind-meld.

Mitch December 26, 2009 at 8:33 pm

I think Bill Shatner wants people to like him too much to let people run around saying they are angry at him. Especially through the press which damages his income potential.

john December 25, 2009 at 7:17 pm

you can only please some of the people some of the time…

Mittsy December 24, 2009 at 1:09 am

Well, they seemed to all get on at his roast…

Never underestimate the power of a “public spat”

Medina Davis December 3, 2009 at 5:22 am

I’ve seen Shatner at conventions for years. He’s great but his ego is not small by any means. His wanting to make amends is for the press and public only.

Having read Shatner’s book and some of the others books, I know he did do things to serve his career and ego and hurt theirs. Perhaps not on purpose but I don’t think he gave them much thought.

I don’t think the other actors are holding grudges so much as they’ve chosen not to include him in their lives. Like Shatner, Takei’s used the rift to get a little press.

Joseph December 3, 2009 at 3:18 am

I disagree. The quote doesn’t use the word “done” but that’s what he’s saying. He’s giving up on making things better. I like Bill but I’ve read accounts of those years (some his own) and he couldn’t have cared less about those people back then. Anytime he’s wantd to make things better I think is just for the press. IMO.

pjowens75 December 2, 2009 at 10:35 pm

How do you get that Shatner is “done” with former castmates out of what he has said? He has explained that, after trying everything he can to repair any damage he has done, there is nothoing more he can do. Where does the quoted word “done” even appear in anything he said? In fact, the only place the word “done” appears is in your headline.

Sorry, folks…lousy journalism.

lilia December 2, 2009 at 5:41 pm

Its not that William Shatner is “done” with his former castmates but more like he doesn’t know what else to “do” with them. Some people are hard to please and find a self-rightous satisfaction in carrying a grudge. He said he has tried to fix the situation or make it better and nothing works. It sounds like they may not want to forgive. Each personality basically is as it is. You can never please everyone cause everyone ‘s different. Best to accept that each “ego” is different than yourself in thought and behaviour; forgive and let go of a senseless grudge. That’s what the crew on Star Trek would’ve done. Have they learned nothing?

Joe Doc December 2, 2009 at 12:50 pm