The Cape: NBC Cuts Episode Order; Cancellation Next?

The CapeThe peacock network has decided to cut their season order of The Cape from 13 to 10 episodes. Production of the TV series will shut down this week, the latest sign that the show will be cancelled.

The Cape follows Vince Faraday (David Lyons), an honest cop who finds himself framed for a series of murders and presumed dead. Fueled by a desire to reunite with his family (Jennifer Ferrin, Ryan Wynott) and to battle the criminal forces that have overtaken their home city, Vince becomes “The Cape” — a vigilante and his son’s favorite comic book superhero. Others in the cast include James Frain, Keith David, Summer Glau, Dorian Missick, Martin Klebba, and Vinnie Jones.

The series has been a disappointment for NBC in the ratings and Monday’s numbers were the worst so far. The TV series debuted on January 9th with a special two-hour event that attracted a decent 2.6 in the 18-49 demographic and 8.45 million total viewers. Eight days later, episode three of The Cape dropped a huge 30% in the demo, to a 1.8 rating and 6.22 million. Episode four’s ratings fell another 11% to a 1.6 demo rating and 5.84 million viewers. Monday’s hit a new low with a 1.5 and 5.343 million.

Which show is better?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The show currently averages a 1.9 in the demo and 6.46 million viewers. After just five episodes, it’s become one of the lowest-rated scripted series on the network, tying with Chuck.

TV show supportFor months, NBC has had The Event slated to return to the Mondays at 9pm timeslot on February 28th. When that happens, only eight episodes of The Cape will have aired. Word is that the network is considering delaying The Event for another week to finish off The Cape’s season. If that doesn’t happen, it seems unlikely that NBC will find a place to air the leftover pair of episodes.

It’s even more unlikely that The Cape will be renewed for a second season or end with any kind of resolution.

What do you think? Is The Cape doomed to be cancelled? What could have been done differently? Is it better than The Event?

UPDATE: NBC has delayed the return of The Event by one week. Episodes nine and 10 of The Cape are expected to air on February 28th, finishing the season.

Canceled and renewed TV show

177 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. natalie r says

i love that show i wish you guy’s would’nt have kill this show i don’t watch tv but monday was my night

2. Ruth says

if you are going to cancel the cape, at least cancel it on tv but keep making it and put it on hulu or nbc.com!!! I LOVED THAT SHOW AND LOOKED FORWARD TO WATCHING IT EVERYDAY. finish it! it was only 3 more episodes!!!!! put it back on!

3. Chris says

You know its getting harder and harder to like watching TV shows when they get canceled in the middle of the story. The Cape was great my buddys and me would talk about it for a week after watching, That has not happened in a long time. I think if a network is going to do a series they should tell the people this is only a One season or mini movie so maybe a different network could pick it up. The Cape is the only thing i watch religously on TV.

4. says

My daughter and i love watching the cape on Monday evenings. We looked forward to each episode. It is very upsetting its a great show with the hero and the villian. Good verus evil and its not corny. NBC will be my least favorite network if they cancel The Cape. It is an exciting show with a great storyline. It is the type of show that when its ends you are wanting to watch more. Please NBC DON’T CANCEL THE CAPE:(

5. Peter Skeeter says

The cape was a good show, but the companies want us to see dumb show with no direction. Bring it back!

6. Tay says

I loved this show because I have been a comic book fan for years. I was happy that finally someone made an original superhero that nobody could see the end result with. I know that there are not nearly as many viewers as there were at the start, but I wonder how many people watch it on something like hulu. I know that I can be busy during the showing times, so I always catch it the next day on hulu and love every moment of it. If they are going to cancel it fine, but do not leave the fans that have been with it hanging with no end. I will continue to check everyday just to see if the next episode is on. Keep kick’n Cape

7. ejae says

i want to petition that this show is put back on the air it was a good show me and my wife couldn’t wait for mondays to watch how dare NBC take it off the air .they don’t know good shows when they see it petition petition petition !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Anonymous says

Yes lets petition, petition and petition, how dare them cancel such a good show, i was wondering what happened to it and am so dissappointed that they would do this

8. Betty says

My husband and I are 65 years old and we loved the Cape. We had wondered what happen to the show so I decided to go on line and see. I am very dieappointed. We thought it was a very good show. We hope NBC does not cancel this show.

9. Harold says

Once again a good show is being canceled before it gets a chance to build a following.
    What is worse is show like THE OFFICE is been on for years and it sucks.