The Firm: Cancelled, No Season Two?

No season two of The Firm on NBCIt’s been a rough road for Mitch MicDeere. Now, it’s come to an end — at least on NBC. The Firm has been cancelled after one season of 22 episodes.

The Firm picks up years after the young attorney (Josh Lucas) made his deal with the mob to take his old crooked law firm down. He and his family have come out of hiding but their problems haven’t gone away. The show also stars Molly Parker, Callum Keith Rennie, Juliette Lewis, Natasha Calis, Tricia Helfer, Martin Donovan, Shaun Majumder, and Paulino Nunes.

The series represented one of NBC’s biggest launches of the season but it misfired right from the start. The two-hour premiere brought in a dismal 1.4 rating in the 18-49 demographic with just 6.32 million viewers.

When The Firm moved to its regular timeslot on Thursdays a few days later, the numbers got even worse. Week two dropped 29% in the demo and the ratings kept falling in subsequent weeks. After hitting an embarrassing low for a primetime show — a 0.8 demo rating with 2.97 million viewers — NBC sent it packing to Saturday nights.

Would you like to see season two of The Firm?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The numbers have been awful since that move — even for a Saturday night show. It’s frequently outperformed by movies and crime drama reruns on the other networks.

To date, The Firm has an average of a 0.7 rating in the demo and 2.10 million viewers. On our NBC Ratings Report Card, which measures the relative demo success of shows on the network, the show has a “D-” grade — even after low viewership is taken into account.

On the positive side, NBC’s deal for The Firm is unique and a bit more like the one the network had for Merlin, the supernatural drama produced by the BBC.

Sony and eOne partnered to produce The Firm, primarily for the overseas market. Thanks to pre-sales and Canadian production tax credits, the cost of producing the series was already paid for and NBC was able to pick up the show for a greatly reduced licensing fee, just like any other secondary buyer.

Not surprisingly, The Firm won’t be back on NBC (according to TVWise) because the network has opted not to renew its deal with Sony and eOne. The series could continue to be produced for other markets however and even possibly be picked up by a cable channel here in the US. There’s been no word on the show’s fate beyond NBC so, for now, we’ll have to wait and see.

There are 22 episodes in the first season of The Firm and tonight’s marks the 17th. Right now, the finale is slated for June 23rd. If a second season isn’t going to be produced, hopefully the last episode will supply enough closure for the few million faithful viewers who’ve kept watching.

What do you think? Are you sorry that NBC isn’t continuing the show? Would you watch on another channel or purchase season two on DVD?

Harald March 25, 2015 at 7:49 pm

Pls. Bring it back!!!
Greetings from austria

NKT March 24, 2015 at 10:05 pm

Pls bring the firm back. I love the show. Pls brinh it back!

zintle March 20, 2015 at 3:02 pm

Im from South Africa, I was DEVASTATED when I heard that there will be no season two. it was a great show, captivating to say the least. It had great potential.

just me March 19, 2015 at 10:24 pm

Really toooooo bad they dropped the show!
Good thng Dexter was not on regular TV, or it would have been cancelled the same way this one was!!

Rinko March 16, 2015 at 9:56 am

Awesome show, bring in season 2 please

caole March 1, 2015 at 11:05 pm

Seriously when a very god series comes on, we all get into the story line,their lives,and then wham it’s gone. I’m sure if you reintroduce it ,it would do well,no reason foit not doing well.There are stupid shows out there doing rotten and they have not been dropped,while THE FIRM,has good story lines. Please rethink or come out with a made for TV movie to continue and finish story. The soaps have been around for over 50 years ,season after season.You can make this happen for the FIRM. Thanks ,hoping and trusting something will happen. Carole

Atari Yunana February 22, 2015 at 2:27 pm

I seriously find it hard to comprehend reasons why movies such as: The Firm and Traveller will be cancelled. Just like someone earlier commented, it seems the less interesting movies get more attention than the interesting ones. Infact, whenever I watch The Firm, it makes me remember my favourite movie- 24.

SM February 9, 2015 at 5:01 pm

Started watching this and I got hooked even though there is annoying things. Sexy Juliette Lewis saves everything. Hope to see her more I got huge crush when I was 10. Atleast give us one more finale tv movie or something…

jonesy February 5, 2015 at 6:38 am

Every time i find a good show and really get into it. It always gets CANCELED. But on this show you didn’t even finish the story line. I think it is an amazing show and millions of people would have loved it. Did you ever think maybe just maybe it wasn’t advertised properly. i haven’t heard of this show until a couple of weeks ago and now i get to the end of season one thinking there’s going to be some kind of ending. but i guess not.You can’t end a show like that. You people cancel way to many good shows. like , THE FIRM!!!! , BREAKING BAD , SONS OF ANARCHY ……ETC… I can go on for a while. if you need help on fixing these problems just shoot me an email.

shinchan_46 January 20, 2015 at 8:09 am

I wanna watch season 2. The Firm is a great series. I learned a lot.

Korey January 16, 2015 at 11:06 pm

Bring the Firm back!!!!! It was so awesome. Your network seems to always be pulling the great shows and keeping all the stupid ones.

Johnson January 7, 2015 at 4:29 am

I don’t have the time to type too many words.
I just want it back!!! It’s one of the best i’ve seen so far.
Hello. Im fan from Nigeria. I watching this show repeated time. I really enjoyed The Firm. I wish there was a season 2. There are not many interesting tv series like this and why this series been cancel??!! please if this series come out through DVD i would like to buy later.

Anonymous February 9, 2015 at 2:23 am

I would like to watch the Firm season 2 please bring it back. I really enjoyed watching season 1.

Ivan December 31, 2014 at 4:55 am

Please, bring it back. it is a great project, i believe. It is not fair to stop showing it right in the middle of the most interesting part.

lya December 23, 2014 at 9:45 pm

Hello. Im fan from Malaysia. I watching this show repeated time. I really enjoyed The Firm. I wish there was a season 2. There are not many interesting tv series like this and why this series been cancel??!! please if this series come out through DVD i would like to buy later.