The Following: Season One Ratings

The Following TV show ratingsMonday night’s The Mob Doctor was cancelled after one season. Will The Following perform better in the ratings or will end up being cancelled as well? We shall see.

The Following follows a former FBI agent (Kevin Bacon) who returns to help stop a diabolical serial killer (James Purefoy). The rest of the cast includes Adan Canto, Annie Parisse, Kyle Catlett, Natalie Zea, Nico Tortorella, Shawn Ashmore, and Valorie Curry. The first season typically airs Monday nights at 9pm on FOX and there are 15 episodes.

Below are the TV show’s ratings for the 2012-13 season, the best way to tell if The Following is going to be cancelled or renewed for a second season.

Final season averages: 2.6 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 7.96 million total viewers.

Episode 01-15: Monday, 04/29/13
2.7 in the demo (+13% change) with 7.82 million (+11% change).
Season averages: 2.63 in the demo with 7.96 million.

Episode 01-14: Monday, 04/22/13
2.4 in the demo (+14% change) with 7.04 million (+11% change).
Season averages: 2.62 in the demo with 7.97 million.

Episode 01-13: Monday, 04/15/13
2.1 in the demo (-5% change) with 6.36 million (+1% change).
Season averages: 2.64 in the demo with 8.04 million.

Episode 01-12: Monday, 04/08/13
2.2 in the demo (0% change) with 6.30 million (-4% change).
Season averages: 2.68 in the demo with 8.18 million.

Episode 01-11: Monday, 04/01/13
2.2 in the demo (-4% change) with 6.57 million (-1% change).
Season averages: 2.73 in the demo with 8.35 million.

Episode 01-10: Monday, 03/25/13
2.3 in the demo (-8% change) with 6.66 million (-9% change).
Season averages: 2.78 in the demo with 8.53 million.

Episode 01-09: Monday, 03/18/13
2.5 in the demo (-7% change) with 7.34 million (-10% change).
Season averages: 2.83 in the demo with 8.73 million.

Episode 01-08: Monday, 03/11/13
2.7 in the demo (-4% change) with 8.15 million (-8% change).
Season averages: 2.88 in the demo with 8.91 million.

Episode 01-07: Monday, 03/04/13
2.8 in the demo (0% change) with 8.81 million (+3% change).
Season averages: 2.90 in the demo with 9.01 million.

UPDATE: The Following has been renewed for a second season.

Episode 01-06: Monday, 02/25/13
2.8 in the demo (-3% change) with 8.58 million (+2% change).
Season averages: 2.92 in the demo with 9.05 million.

Episode 01-05: Monday, 02/18/13
2.9 in the demo (+21% change) with 8.39 million (+8% change).
Season averages: 2.94 in the demo with 9.14 million.

Episode 01-04: Monday, 02/11/13
2.4 in the demo (-17% change) with 7.79 million (-14% change).
Season averages: 2.95 in the demo with 9.33 million.

Episode 01-03: Monday, 02/04/13
2.9 in the demo (-12% change) with 9.01 million (-11% change).
Season averages: 3.13 in the demo with 9.84 million.

Episode 01-02: Monday, 01/28/13
3.3 in the demo (+3% change) with 10.10 million (-3% change).
Season averages: 3.25 in the demo with 10.26 million.

Episode 01-01: Monday, 01/21/13
3.2 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 10.42 million total viewers.
Season average: 3.20 in the demo with 10.42 million.

It was a solid start for the new series and was on par with the Alcatraz series debut a year earlier (3.3 rating with 10.05 million viewers). As per usual, the real question will be if viewers will come back episode after episode.

What do you think? Do you like The Following TV series? Do you think it should be cancelled or renewed for a second season?

Amy March 26, 2013 at 2:21 pm

Love this show! It has great actors and lots of suspense! Please don’t cance,l I could not handle another reality show! I love Kevin Bacon!!

Jamie March 25, 2013 at 8:04 pm

I LOVE THE SHOW…I think its very entertaiining…I cant wait for monday nights so I can watch it….great acting.I love the story line…Very suspenseful..Please dont cancel…

Maureen March 19, 2013 at 7:49 pm

I love this show!!!! It is well written, suspenseful, and excellent acting , especially Kevin Bacon.

Joe March 14, 2013 at 11:04 pm

P.S. – if you want to see Kevin Bacon do some serious world class acting, get your hands on the 1995 film Murder in the First. He’s incredible.

Joe March 14, 2013 at 10:34 pm

Like The Killing, The Following has taken a story line that could easily have been handled in a feature length movie and tried to squeeze who knows how many hours out of it. I’m bored.

samspring March 14, 2013 at 12:32 am

compelling stories – all linked, I think. I taped bad copy of #3 – up. Waiting for reruns in summer.

MARYELLEN March 12, 2013 at 7:20 pm

just love the show
the actors are great.

please return for a second season.

Samara March 12, 2013 at 5:41 pm

I think this is an entertaining show! I wouldn’t want it to be about each individual follower and their individual crimes…that would be like every other procedural show out there! The concept of one, supremely charismatic, psycopath having a following, of other psychotic people, so large that it can’t be quantified by the FBI and other agencies, is far greater than most television storylines! For those who believe it is insulting to their intelligence, I can only say that they must not understand subtext and aren’t able to see the unwritten complexities that fill this show! Imagine yourself entangled in a situation where it is truly impossible to know who to trust and every interaction is potentially a life or death encounter! I would love to see this show get a second season!!

LynnElla March 12, 2013 at 2:31 pm

The show is suspenseful and well written. I do think Kevin Bacon is wasted here and I suspect half the police involved will wind up being a part of the cult. My biggest concern is the predictability of the show – there haven’t been any shockers yet – and the violence can be overwhelming at times for a television show.

Jodi McKenzie March 12, 2013 at 1:31 am

I love it!! I dont care if its realistic or not, its suspenseful and creative and very entertaining. Would hate to see it get cancelled particularly when there is garbage like “two broke girls” being picked up. Get rid of some of that drivle and keep The Following!

Gary March 12, 2013 at 12:14 am

Started with a decent premise, but has gone awry, gotten predictable and tedious.
I like Kevin Bacon well enough as an actor in most roles, but think he’s wasted in this show.
Law enforcement types are all incompetent and unable to deal with a bunch of amateur criminals. Writers are treating the audience very poorly by asking us to suspend our intellects and just accept this show for its commitment to violence, not something more believable. I’m over it.

Anonymous March 11, 2013 at 10:40 pm

The writing is ridiculous.

Martha March 9, 2013 at 9:53 pm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS SHOW, PLEASE RENEW…… I WANT MORE

Pat March 8, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Seemed really good at first, but is getting weaker as the weeks go by. Thought that it was going to be about each follower, and the crimes he/she committed, not really interested in Joe and his pathetic kid, if it doesn’t improve soon I will be dropping it this series never mind next.

FWF March 5, 2013 at 1:32 am

Not very realistic, there are better shows on. I like the casts too bad.