The Guardian

The Guardian Network: CBS
Episodes: 67 (hour)
Seasons: Three

TV show dates: September 25, 2001 — May 4, 2004
Series status: Cancelled/ended

Performers include: Simon Baker, Dabney Coleman, Alan Rosenberg, Wendy Moniz, Raphael Sbarge, Charles Malik Whitfield, Denise Dowse, Kathleen Chalfant, Dorothea Harahan, Amanda Michalka, Courtney Stevens, Angela Featherstone, Rusty Schwimmer, Johnny Sneed, Rod Britt, and Erica Leerhsen.

TV show description:
After a drug conviction, hotshot Pittsburgh attorney Nicholas “Nick” Fallin (Simon Baker) is sentenced to perform 1,500 hours of community service by representing children for the nonprofit Children’s Legal Services organization.

Though initially reluctant, he soon becomes a vigorous child advocate and works with earthy boss Alvin Masterson (Alan Rosenberg), social worker Laurie Solt (Kathleen Chalfant), and fellow advocates James Mooney (Charles Malik Whitfield) and Louisa “Lulu” Archer (Wendy Moniz).

Nick must juggle this commitment with working for his father Burton (Dabney Coleman) at his law firm defending corporate clients. At Fallin & Associates, Nick is assisted by Amanda Bowles (Erica Leerhsen) and works alongside Jake Straka (Raphael Sbarge).

Canceled and renewed TV show

19 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Marshall says

My wife & I stumbled on this series on Netflix.
    We are both trying to figure out why neither of us never new this was on.
    But it is a fantastic series just love it.
    They should somehow bring it back.
    (After mentalist is done of course)!

2. Toni says

Love this series. I thought I was watching something else when I picked it up. Great series. Awesome writing and great character development. Great acting also. I wish it could come back. Then there would be something worth watching on network television. So sick of reality tv.

3. Wanda Bachmann says

I’m watching re-runs of The Guardian and loved it when it was running. And, yes, I think shows that are intelligent get cancelled. The show was relevant (drug addiction), great acting, great writing. What a waste we have now…

4. Temple says

Dabney Coleman, Simon Baker, Alan Rosenberg and heck – the entire cast was exceptional!
    Sorry it only lasted 3 seasons, they’re re-running it on TVGuide channel right now in southwest USA; but seriously, it is better than most of the drama series on now, in 2012.

5. Arlene P says

I stumbled upon The Guardian after watching a bit of The Mentalist. No comparison. The Guardian is excellent and the character development is well done. But true to form, it gets cancelled. Disappointing!

6. Virginia Petersen says

I watched all the episodes of The Guardian from Netflix. I could either rent them or watch it from my computer or TV. Dont know where they are for sale though.

7. emily bergson says

My husband and I Loved the series and wish it could be brought back and continued. It seemed obvious to us that the producers expected to have another season- the finale of 3rd season was not a real ending. We watched all 3 seasons on netflix having missed the original showings.Best series ever. Plese bring us season 4!!!

8. DR says

The Guardian Season 3 is set to release sometime in Feb 2011 but I haven’t seen the actual date yet. Seasons 1 & 2 have already been released and can be purchased at Amazon.com

The show ended suddenly as it was cancelled after the last show in season 3 had been taped. The network decided that it was not worth renewing so cancelled after the cast had already split for the summer. Part of the reason, supposedly, was that Simon Baker was reluctant to promote it. He was already working 14 hours+ each day 5 days a week, had young children at home and wished to spend his little time off with his family.

9. Andy says

I really enjoyed this series. There are about 4 programmes a week I never miss/always record and this was one of them (2009, Channel 5 in the UK). Why on earth was it discontinued?! Too intelligent, perhaps?

10. Barbara Nicoll says

We love the Guardian too! I think we have watched all of the episodes on Sleuth, but as you said the ending is very unsatisfactory. I would love to see it back!

11. says

I just loved The Guardian T.V.series starring Simon Baker why oh why did it end so suddenly it was one of the best shows on T.V. and the ending was unsatisfactory so many unanswered situations please please bring it back. Loads of my friends loved it to.

12. rufina says

My husband and I are so hooked with watching The Guardian. As a Valentine gift, I want to gve him the dvd copies of all the episodes of this great tv series. Unfortunately, there is none in the market. SO I would like to reiterate the requests of those who wrote here..PLS RELEASE DVD COPIES OF ALL THE 3 seasons of The Guardian. I also would like to know why the show folded up…Thanks…

13. Diane says

Why isn’t there any DVD’s of the Guardian tv series? I love the Mentalist & Simon Baker. Would love to see some of his other work.

14. BONNIE DRISCOLL says

PLEASE RELEASE DVDs OF ALL THREE SEASONS
    OF THE GUARDIAN FOR THE HUNDREDS OF FANS
    OF SIMON BAKER WHO WERE UNFORTUNATE TO
    HAVE MISSED THE ORIGINAL TV AIRINGS OF THIS
    HIGHLY ACCLAIMED REMARKABLE PROGRAM.
    IT WOULD BE QUITE PROFITABLE TO DISTRIBUTE