The Killing: Season Three Being Shopped

season three of The KillingWhen AMC cancelled The Killing after two seasons on the air, it was reported that Fox TV Studio planned to shop the TV series to other outlets. It now appears that they’ve indeed been busy and both Netflix and DirecTV have expressed interest.

According to TVLine, meetings are still ongoing and people close to the show “feel hopeful” that something can be worked out. Other prospective buyers, including Amazon, have yet to have their discussions with Fox. The article notes that having Mireille Enos and Joel Kinnaman on-board is a big asset since both actors have become much better known since they signed on for the pilot.

In a pre-cancellation interview, Kinnaman said that he believed that there were lots of opportunities for new stories. He noted, “We’ve invested a lot in these characters and want to see how they continue their journey… I feel like Linden and Holder [are] just [getting] started.”

While there may be plenty of stories left to tell, one has to wonder if the audience for this show is still big enough to justify the production costs. Many expressed disappointment that the Rosie Larsen murder case wasn’t solved at the end of season one and chose to skip season two. The sophomore season drew just 1.58 million total viewers, a year-to-year decline of 27% from the first year.

What do you think? Would you like to see a third season of The Killing? Do you think the numbers justify the TV series being saved?

Canceled and renewed TV show

37 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. JY says

I just finished season 1. I actually liked how season one ended. That makes me want to watch season 2 more, not less. Really hope that season 3 surfaces somewhere. [Haven’t seen the european original yet, but want to at some point.]

2. says

The Killing is a great Drama, I just wish it had a better ‘Name’. Some episodes are a bit draggy though. I’ll still watch if it returns.

3. deb says

The acting is superb. The chemistry is unmatched. PLEASE continue this unmatched drama. I don’t get excited about tv very often but this show has the magic. Just needs a little marketing. Build it and they will come. I agree with Joe K, this show is just beginning. Let’s watch it grow.

4. Beth Coccaro says

I would love to see more episodes. Loved this series. AMC makes some dumb decisions – this and Rubicon.

• spike says

Is there some place where we can make a lot of noise to get a new season of Rubicon? I know it’s not for everyone, but it was SO good; I think it hit a little too close to home & maybe that’s why they took it off? Anyways, I’d even take a DVD of season one & watch it over & over again! I’d pay more $ to Netflix to have a new season developed!! I digress…

5. Kat says

No one in my family is going to bother with Season 3 unless it’s on DirecTV (which is being beamed to our home anyway). Meanwhile, we would’ve done whatever it took to see a new season of Terra Nova, whether that means signing up for some weird Netflix or Amazon deal or whatever. Ah well.

6. Arlene says

Yes! There was nothing wrong with THE KILLING either season, just a lot of impatient nitwit critics who didn’t and still don’t understand that each episode was a day long (like ’24’). I’ve seen the real Swedish series 2 (which I guess would be the season 3 being shopped) and it’s good tv. I would love to see Mirielle Enos & Joel Kinnaman back again. They were better than the Swedish actors (imo).

7. says

Funny that Netflix is looking at it since that’s how I got totally hooked on the show in the first place. I watched the first season on Netflix, then didn’t miss one minute of season two. I worked everything around Sunday night at 8. Linden and Holder are the best partnership since Scully and Mulder. Please bring The Killing back!!!

8. says

The numbers with viewership means nothing these days being that there is DVR. A lot of people admitted that they DVRed The Killing and watched it at a later time. That is why the numbers were so low. I personally loved the show and hope for it’s return. That is why my husband and I created a petition and a Facebook page. If you love the show too, sign the petition and like us on facebook. Let’s prove to them that the show is worth keeping!!!

9. Matt says

To be honest I was satisfied with how season 2 ended and a third season might be over doing it in someway. But as a fan of the series a third season might be good to wrap up the story