The Sing-Off: Cancelled; No Season Four

NBC Sing-Off cancelledWell, there’s one singing competition that won’t be back next season. The Sing-Off has been cancelled after three seasons on the NBC.

Hosted by Nick Lachey, this TV series seeks to find the most-talented a capella singing group in America. Judges have included Ben Folds, Shawn Stockman, Nicole Scherzinger, and Sara Bareilles. The judges decide who advances to the finale and the final winners are determined by viewer votes. The champs take home a Sony recording contract and $200,000.

The Sing-Off began in December 2009 as a short-run series with just four episodes. It did reasonably well — averaging a 2.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 6.9 million viewers — so the peacock network brought it back for season two.

It returned in December 2010, expanded to five episodes, and the ratings rose 26% — to an average of a 2.9 in the demo with 8.6 million viewers.

Should Sing-Off have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

NBC decided to take another chance and give The Sing-Off a two-hour timeslot on the fall schedule with 11 episodes. That gamble didn’t pay off and the ratings were much lower. By the end of the season, The Sing-Off averaged a 1.5 in the demo with 4.56 million.

On our NBC Ratings Report Card, which measures the relative demo performance of TV shows on the network, The Sing-Off has an “C-” grade. The network has now cancelled the show.

NBC could have brought it back for another limited run, perhaps over the summer or in December but were likely hesitant to flood their schedule with yet another singing/talent competition. America’s Got Talent has been very successful for them over the summer months and NBC plans to run two cycles of The Voice next season. There just wasn’t a place on the schedule for The Sing-Off any longer.

What do you think? Do you think NBC should have kept The Sing-Off, perhaps run it in December? Are you sorry to hear that it’s been cancelled and won';t be back for a fourth season?

Juli June 11, 2013 at 11:37 pm

My family and I loved the Sing-off! A rare show we could all agree on. There was no drama or awful scenes as in American Idol. The competition was top-rate! I respected and enjoyed listening to the judges opinions esp Sara B, Ben Harper and Shawn Stockman – what an incredible pool of talent!! Please bring it back even if only for 4 – 5 week installments. We really loved it!! Would Pentatonics ever have been found without the Sing-off?!!! I’ve never heard anything so creative, wonderful, heart-stopping, mesmerizing; they are the art in my head!! The world needs Pentatonics and this incredible artform!! Bring back the Sing-off!!

Bear Bechtel June 11, 2013 at 1:00 am

Yes, we love it and it had great judges… very intelligent critiques!! bring it on!!!

Lauren June 1, 2013 at 5:28 pm

Please bring it back

CK May 30, 2013 at 9:03 am

This show is great and actually portrays real talent! It should be brought back even if it is just 1 hour a week for 8 weeks!

Kathy May 15, 2013 at 10:58 am

Bring this show back this summer. Great talent and upbeat. The sSing-off was always toe tapping to watch.

admin May 15, 2013 at 11:00 am
Karen K May 8, 2013 at 3:40 pm

Please, please bring back The Sing-Off. I love that show and have been waiting to hear when it would be on again.

andrea May 6, 2013 at 11:18 pm

So sad to hear this….I loved this show! Pure talent! And much better than some of the other shows out there! Between this and The Voice, they had my attention! Please bring the show back!!!!!!!!

Ron Harden May 5, 2013 at 7:36 pm

We get a good performing show and it gets replaced by shows that I do not consider worth watching. Bring ACAPELLA back. That is REAL talent.

Craig Stack April 30, 2013 at 11:58 am

A cappella singing is the purest form of music. Can’t hide behind instruments or fancy costumes or elaborate stage sets. Just the human voice as your instrument. Going to miss this show. Maybe one of the other networks will pick it up?

Sue Dashiell April 29, 2013 at 10:37 pm

I am so disappointed. I was going to get my friends to watch.

Jewl Sandoval April 28, 2013 at 10:57 am

I believe the Sing-off was the best singing show we had out there to date. These are real talents and not just beginners. If it vocals you want?, this show brought it. I was looking forward to season 4 and am extremely disappointed about the cancellation. Please bring it back.

MC April 27, 2013 at 10:42 am

I am extremely disappointed. Good shows gone… As far as I am concerned the only musical shows worth watching were the Sing Off and The Voice. America’s got talent is asinine. too much theatrics…. what happened to good old showman ship? I agree with Debi… the judges were appealing, honest , warm and constructive. there was no “popularity contest” and their votes had an impact….Please reconsider.

M C Nagengast April 27, 2013 at 10:38 am

I am super dispaoointed that teh Sing off has been cancelled . I have been waiting all year for it . Other than The Voice , it is the best variety/ music reality show. Idol has tanked over the last many seasons and Americas Got talent is asinine. Why is it that it has to appeal to everyone?? No one likes everything. Such a shame. First NBC blew it with letting Anne Curry go and now this…..
Please bring it back….

Joe Eplan April 6, 2013 at 7:44 pm

I’m really disappointed The Sing Off Isn’t going to be on again.I’m 66 yrs old and I remember guys singing acapella on the street corners. It’s a pure form of music.I’ll hope that another station, possibly cable, will pick it up.

Isaac Lin March 26, 2013 at 12:55 pm

I am really looking forward to season 4. Please bring the Sing-off back!