The Unit: After Cancellation, Producers Get Some Good News

The UnitToday certainly wasn’t a good day for fans of The Unit. CBS cancelled the show after four seasons on the air. For producers of the series however, today’s dark cloud also had a silver lining.

Though there won’t be any new episodes featuring Dennis Haysbert, Regina Taylor, Robert Patrick, Scott Foley and company, the show will return to the airwaves next year.

The show’s studio, 20th Century TV, announced today that the military drama has been sold in syndication. According to the Hollywood Reporter, The Unit has been cleared in 56% of the country, including Fox and CBS stations. It’s sold in all 15 of the top markets, including New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, and Dallas.

Because only 69 episodes have been produced, the stations are likely to run episodes only once or twice a week. While several series have been saved recently because of potential syndication profits, there’s seemingly no interest in continuing The Unit. This likely stems from the fact that hour-long dramas aren’t as popular in syndication as half-hour sitcoms.

The series launches into syndication beginning in the Fall of 2010.

Canceled and renewed TV show

244 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Yang says

We should just boycott the network until they give in, after all they want ratings right? Take it away from them and make it hurt real good.

2. MARCUS says

THE UNIT WAS A ONE KIND ENTERTAINMENT EXPERIENCE AND STILL STANDS ALONE !!!!!!VS THE TRASH OUT THERE. I AM REFERING TO NEW UPCOMING SHOWS IN THE 2010 FALL TOO. SAD, SAD, SAD BUT THEN AGAIN CBS HAS ALL THEIR HOPES PINNED TO DETECTIVE SHOWS…. NO WONDER MAINSTREAM TV NETWORKS CANNOT HOLD A CANDLE TO FX, SPIKE, AND OTHER COOL NETWORKS OUT THERE.

3. SGT says

Bring the show back. The average people that view this show is 55. I dont know where they get those numbers. On my las 2 deploymentes to Iraq and Afghanistan that show is all we wash I’m talking over 15 thosend soldiers 19 and older.
    the reason why I said over 15 thousend is because that is the average number of hits for that show on the media server combine betewin iraq and afganistand for year 2007 to 2009
    what about the troops, how do you get ratings overseas? this is the most popular show among real soldiers.
    please bring it back at least for one more seasson, believe me when i said this we see wife leaving husbands all the time because o deploymentes (mission come first) that is not the last thing we want to remenber about that show, another stadistic.

4. Richie Rich says

I just learned about this show and watched the first season on dvd, WHY STOP A GOOD THING????!!!! Im sure like many MANY others out there we would love to see the next season apear!!!! Is there any way to get this show to make a few more seasons?

5. Kaitlyn says

I love the Unit. I have all the seasons, I just want the story to end with a good finish. Not just leave us hanging half done! Let them do the 5th season it was going to be the last anyways!!!

6. Sky says

Hey, i’m from Portugal, i have seen THE UNIT, and i loved it more then any series!!! Do a good deed and bring it back, i beth there are alot of other series that can be left on a side!!
    The Unit Rulezzz !!!

7. SR_24 says

WTF!!!!!!! They cancelled one of my favorite shows can belive it!!!!!!
    If CBS don’t want to bring THE UNIT back please give the viewers an ending!!!!!
    Bring Season 5 and ended there, that way everyones is happy!!!! But in my opinion
    it should continue. They say the average people that view this show is 55 I am 33.
    thanks for reading and hope to see season 5 back.
    BRING THE UNIT BACK!!!!!!!!!!!

8. J. Sorrentino says

People, get it together! TV is all about advertisements and what to put in between them to get us, the viewers, to watch the commercials. We have no control over the networks’ craving for a better “bottom line”. I miss The Unit, too. But I understand the decision.

9. C Colhour says

The people making these cancellation decisions are as bad as the government. They don’t care what the people want. They just do whatever they wish. They suck..

10. Adam Decker says

I liked The Unit. It’s a shame it couldn’t last longer. It should have kept its old timeslot or be given a better one because it kept getting delayed, over and over again. Maybe there should be a crossover of The Unit on another show to finish the storyline. It could have ended worse.

11. Maryellen says

My husband and myself loved the UNIT. I am really upset at it’s cancellation!! How do we bring a show back? I would like to know who make these decisions? This was a bad one…