Accidentally on Purpose: CBS Sitcom Cancelled, No Season Two

IMAGECBS has long had a problem finding the right sitcom to round out their Monday night line-up. Two and a Half Men, How I Met Your Mother, and The Big Bang Theory work well but the network needs a solid fourth player. As this season began, it looked like Accidentally on Purpose just might be the one. No longer. It’s been cancelled.

Accidentally on Purpose revolves around thirty-something Billie Chase (Jenna Elfman) after she breaks up with her boyfriend/boss (Grant Show). She has a one-night fling with a much younger man, Zack (Jon Foster), and becomes pregnant. Billie ultimately decides to keep both the baby and the guy. The series also features Lennon Parham, Nicolas Wright, Ashley Jensen, and Pooch Hall.

The TV show got off to a pretty good start with a 3.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 8.91 million viewers. On Monday nights, the first 15 episodes ended up averaging a 3.1 in the demo and 8.23 million viewers. That’s actually quite good but the network has very high expectations because the TV show is surrounded by their very popular comedies. The real test is to see how well the series will perform on another night.

After a hiatus, CBS brought Accidentally on Purpose to Wednesday nights. With The New Adventures of Old Christine as a lead-in, the ratings fell like a rock. The three original episodes averaged a 1.8 in the key demo and 5.72 million viewers. If there was any hope for the series, these numbers dashed them.

CBS has now confirmed that the sitcom has been cancelled and will not be returning for season two. CBS can afford to be picky in what sitcoms it keeps and has also cancelled Gary Unmarried after two seasons and Old Christine after five.

Fortunately, the network aired all 18 episodes of Accidentally on Purpose and viewers got to see Billie give birth. Unfortunately, they won’t get to see how she and Zack cope as new parents.

What do you think? Are you sorry that Accidentally on Purpose has been cancelled or did CBS make the right choice?

anonymous March 10, 2013 at 4:30 pm

I am extremely disappointed it was a good show, there good acting immediately from the beginning. Most series have bad acting in the beginning this was the first show I have seen where the acting was good right from the start. It was a very funny show and i can’t see a single reason why they would take it off the air.

Erika March 2, 2013 at 2:58 am

Very disappointing!! I wanted to see season 2!!!! I Loved this show!!!

Anonymous February 20, 2013 at 3:57 pm

Bring it back! I want season 2

kkw February 11, 2013 at 8:55 pm

This show is awesome….super duper hilarious and I just Love Billy & Zack!!!!!!!
PLEASE BR ING IT BACK!!!!!!!!
PLEASE BR ING IT BACK!!!!!!!!
PLEASE BR ING IT BACK!!!!!!!!

queen February 11, 2013 at 11:42 am

bring it back please great show want more

Sarah February 4, 2013 at 7:06 pm

I saw this show on netflix and i fell in love with it. I NEED SEASON TWO!!!!

Desiree January 14, 2013 at 11:14 pm

Seriously, I just watched this show on Netflix, I loved it. It really is a bummer that it will not go to season two. I literally rolled on the floor laughing at his show. So, if you find it in the deepest part of your heart, bring this awesome show back on.

Anonymous January 11, 2013 at 12:12 am

i love this series. very much.

Carolyn January 10, 2013 at 11:05 am

I want to see a season two…loved this show.

Norma December 23, 2012 at 1:35 am

I say BRING IT BACK!!!!!!!!!!!! IT WAS Awesome! I used to roll laughing with EVERY EPISODE! ! I MSS WATCHING IT! PLEASE RECONSIDER PUTTING ACCIDENTALLY ON PURPOSE !!!! With the way things are in this world, we NEEEED MORE LAUGHTER TO BE ABLE TO COPE WELL MAKE IT EASIER TO COPE. YOU COULD DO IT ON TUESDAY NIGHTS. I KNOW THAT JENNA ELFMAN IS STARTING ANOTHER SITCOM ON TV. BUT, MAYBE SHE CAN DO TWO SHOWS AT ONE TIME……….

Chelsy November 29, 2012 at 9:40 pm

I love this show!!!!!!!!!!! Im so bummed that they canceled! Please bring it back!!! I laughed the whole time watching it, and great actors! Please!!

Jamie November 15, 2012 at 8:18 am

Bring the show back!!! Some of the best entertainment that I’ve had in years.

learra November 9, 2012 at 9:10 pm

this completely bummed me out!!! i love this show and i was looking forward to seeing how Billie and Zack handled being parents :(

Shanell October 7, 2012 at 5:23 pm

I love Accidently on Purpose, i am so sad that they did not continue it. There could have been at leat a total of 3 seasons. Dont get me wrong i like How I Met Your Mother, but i really dont see how there is so many seasons.

Shanell October 7, 2012 at 5:19 pm

I love Accidently on Purpose! and i am super sad by how it ended. I think there could have been at least 3 seasons. Don’t get me wrong i like How I Met Your Mother, butt i really dont see how there aas many season of that as there is.

Anonymous January 24, 2013 at 3:01 pm

Love the show! BRING IT BACK!!!!!!