Betrayal: Has It Been Cancelled? Will There Be Season Two?

Betrayal canceled? season two?ABC has been searching for a ratings hit to fill the Sundays at 10pm timeslot. Turns out that Betrayal isn’t that show but could it still return for a second season? Has it already been cancelled?

Betrayal revolves around professional photographer Sara (Hannah Ware) and top attorney Jack (Stuart Townsend) who, despite being married to other people, have a torrid affair. Things become even more complicated when Sara’s husband and Jack end up on the opposite sides of a murder trial. The rest of the cast includes Henry Thomas, Chris Johnson, Wendy Moniz, Braeden Lemasters, Elizabeth McLaughlin, and James Cromwell.

The series debuted in September and got off to a slow start with a 1.5 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 5.16 million total viewers. The numbers got even worse in week two, dropping more than 24%. In week three, they dropped another 26%.

Should Betrayal be cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

In short, the ratings were awful but the network didn’t pull the series off the air and a rep even said that ABC was sticking with the show. Why? Likely because they’d already cancelled another new drama, Lucky 7, and fellow freshman Once Upon a Time in Wonderland was also tanking.

Though Betrayal’s ratings have leveled off, that doesn’t mean that ABC is any more satisfied with the numbers and there’s just no way that they’re bring it back for a second season. It’s still on the air because they didn’t have anything to take its place.

The network has released their plans for early 2014 and, to no surprise, Betrayal isn’t part of them. That’s not an outright cancellation but, realistically, there’s as much hope of this show coming back as there being a second season of Pan Am or GCB.

ABC has taken to calling Betrayal a limited series which wouldn’t have stopped them from making a second season had the ratings been stronger. Hopefully for the fans who have stuck with it, the show will end in a satisfying way and won’t not leave a bunch of unresolved storylines.

What do you think? Do you like Betrayal? Would you like to see a second season or does the show deserve to be cancelled? Why didn’t it catch on?

Mary January 13, 2014 at 4:45 pm

I love this show please don’t cancel!! I re-arrange my schedule so I can watch Betrayal.

elsa January 13, 2014 at 4:14 pm

Hanna Ware acted in Boss which was cancelled. That was an EXCELLENT program. Maybe it got too close to the reality of Chicago politics. Sunday night has too many programs and most are simultaneous. We like Downton Abbey, Good Wife, and Betrayal – all on at the same time. If you put Betrayal on another night more people could watch it. I’ll watch it or DVR it in any event but some people won’t. This is a great show. I’m tired of getting attached to a program only to have it end, like Boss and The Borgias and Harry’s Law and many others.

Barbara January 13, 2014 at 7:31 pm

Please don’t cancel Betrayal–one of my favorites–it should be on a different night so it’s not competing against The Good Wife and PBS
programming–There’s nothing good on Tuesdays–
why not keep a great show and put it on another night ???
ABC always have great shows but they’re aired on the wrong times–always causing
cancellations and totally disappointed fans–

Anne Novak January 13, 2014 at 3:52 pm

I look forward to this show every Sunday night just like I did with Pan Am. The ratings have nothing to do with the show not being loved ! It is a terrible time slot ! I get up at 4am Monday morning for work. Do you know how hard that is??? But I struggle and do it just so I can see this show. A lot of the time I have to watch it “on demand” because I just can’t stay awake. But I love love love this show

jeanette January 13, 2014 at 3:38 pm

Please don’t cancel. Love show. Great characters and good storyline.

Paula January 13, 2014 at 3:37 pm

Please don’t cancel . If you do, then please let it end without a cliff hanger!

Debbie irvin January 13, 2014 at 1:33 pm

I love the show. I think its Sunday nite 10 pm is the problem. People watch news gotta get in bed for work Monday. Like to see more characters come on board, Elaine be happy. Sara and jack together. Kharston arrested and of couse u gotta have one of his people be bad guy now.

Pamela R. Smith January 13, 2014 at 1:31 pm

If you going to cancel a series at least end the seris and not shoot one of the main character’s, duh I hate when a TV series is cancelled and not completed (ABC, CBS, NBC)
all because of a RATING really is that what it’s all about.

billy January 13, 2014 at 3:50 pm

why not shoot them both?they are both rotten people and do not deserve a happy ending.maybe now if ABC renew the show we can see more of the other characters .

Matt January 13, 2014 at 8:45 pm

There is still next week’s episode at least. Hopefully there is some resolution.

G K January 13, 2014 at 11:28 am

January 13 2014 Great show!! Wouldn’t miss it

Diane January 13, 2014 at 10:56 am

Please don’t cancel! Great show bad time frame

Donna January 13, 2014 at 10:52 am

I love this show!! I’ll be sad if it’s cancelled!

Kelly January 13, 2014 at 10:15 am

I love Betrayal, it is my all time favorite show this season!! I has everything, love, cheating, lust, scandal, lies, sex, killing, BETRAYAL!!!! Its the best !!

Sharon Jones January 13, 2014 at 10:08 am

Awesome show my favorite hope it comes back..Please DON”T CANCEL

Sharanda January 13, 2014 at 9:46 am

DON’T CANCEL!!!!!!! I love this show. 2nd season please

Sharon Jones January 13, 2014 at 10:18 am

Please don’t cancel

jill January 13, 2014 at 9:12 am

Love, love, love this show!!!!!!!

Tiffany January 13, 2014 at 8:31 am

Great show!!! I anxiously wait for every Sunday! Don’t cancel!!!

Elita January 13, 2014 at 11:51 am

Its funny that people are getting so exited about shows like Breaking Bad where main characters were flushing minced human bodies in toilet , for example ,but show like Betrayal about difficult relationships and everyday life will get cancelled because its boring???!!!

Matt January 13, 2014 at 8:47 pm

I agree. Some shows just take a while to develop the plot. Shoot if Breaking Bad had been on network TV they likely would have cancelled it before the end of the first season.