Betrayal: Has It Been Cancelled? Will There Be Season Two?

Betrayal canceled? season two?ABC has been searching for a ratings hit to fill the Sundays at 10pm timeslot. Turns out that Betrayal isn’t that show but could it still return for a second season? Has it already been cancelled?

Betrayal revolves around professional photographer Sara (Hannah Ware) and top attorney Jack (Stuart Townsend) who, despite being married to other people, have a torrid affair. Things become even more complicated when Sara’s husband and Jack end up on the opposite sides of a murder trial. The rest of the cast includes Henry Thomas, Chris Johnson, Wendy Moniz, Braeden Lemasters, Elizabeth McLaughlin, and James Cromwell.

The series debuted in September and got off to a slow start with a 1.5 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 5.16 million total viewers. The numbers got even worse in week two, dropping more than 24%. In week three, they dropped another 26%.

Should Betrayal be cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

In short, the ratings were awful but the network didn’t pull the series off the air and a rep even said that ABC was sticking with the show. Why? Likely because they’d already cancelled another new drama, Lucky 7, and fellow freshman Once Upon a Time in Wonderland was also tanking.

Though Betrayal’s ratings have leveled off, that doesn’t mean that ABC is any more satisfied with the numbers and there’s just no way that they’re bring it back for a second season. It’s still on the air because they didn’t have anything to take its place.

The network has released their plans for early 2014 and, to no surprise, Betrayal isn’t part of them. That’s not an outright cancellation but, realistically, there’s as much hope of this show coming back as there being a second season of Pan Am or GCB.

ABC has taken to calling Betrayal a limited series which wouldn’t have stopped them from making a second season had the ratings been stronger. Hopefully for the fans who have stuck with it, the show will end in a satisfying way and won’t not leave a bunch of unresolved storylines.

What do you think? Do you like Betrayal? Would you like to see a second season or does the show deserve to be cancelled? Why didn’t it catch on?

Canceled and renewed TV show

1,061 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Raquel De Leon says

Don’t cancel BETRAYAL! It would be such betrayal to all the devoted fans who stuck through from beginning to end. Sometimes the SO-CALLED ratings are not everything. Think about ABCs loyal viewers period. We want more Betrayal!!!!!

2. Laura says

Everyone who is commenting here needs to email ABC. Go to abc.com and scroll to the bottom of the page. Find “contact” and click on it. Select ABC Programming/Feedback from the drop down menu. Fill out the form, under show select Betrayal and email the network with what you want. Commenting on blogs might help, but contacting the network directly is more likely to make a difference. Get clicking so we can keep our show!

3. Briangela says

One of the best dramas in a long time. I think it didn’t catch on because of little advertising. I happened to DVR it by mistake and loved it from the first episode. Please give it a chance and don’t cancel.

4. buggy says

OMG DO NOT CANCEL THIS SHOW!!!!! i love it and would be in a rage if it got cancelled…lol….its interesting and i like the characters and all the different “betrayals” that are going on. i think its well written and it keeps you guessing…..so tired of crappy shows being renewed and the good ones axed……this one should be spared!!!

5. Laura says

One of the best written and acted shows on TV and they’re going to bail after one season. It absolutely makes me not want to watch new series on ABC since I get hooked and then they cancel them. There is no way they will wrap this up in one more episode to any satisfaction. I have always thought ABC was a quality network, but they have really missed the boat with this one. Talk about executives wanting instant high ratings. Never mind the fact that they advertised the show like it was all about sex and the affair, when the show is far more than just about the affair. Unbelievable. I don’t know who makes these decisions but THEY are the ones who should be cancelled.

6. missy82 says

Betrayal is a great show, however I think the bigger issue is the season of release. I had no idea about the show until I saw it on Hulu and it sounded interesting… I am now an avid fan! When the show was released, my kids and I spent the majority of our time traveling to the beach, etc… I only wish the show was on Thursdays before or after Grey s Anatomy. I normally spend my Sunday evenings getting kids ready for school on Monday, and we all go to bed around 9 :(

• says

people keep calling this a love story.IT IS NOT!it,s about two people who cheated on their spouses and their families ,and they seem to be portrayed as some sort of heroes.they are not! their families are going to suffer because of what they do.so far they have got of easy,DREW should have BANNED Sara from seeing Oliver right away and told her ,child or rat. jacks family would have killed them both in episode one!they will probably have more baby rats to keep up the bad work

• Tiffany says

This is for Billy –
        He did tell Sara that she had to pick. It was in the divorce agreement. Drew did not want Jack around Sara or Oliver. She agreed not to see jack any longer.

• says

to Tiffany what i mean is it has taken to long for Drew to do this.it should have been the first thing he did.he should have got a court order refusing her access to Oliver because of her gangster connections.no judge would give her unsupervised access in case he turns into a crook like Jack.they deserve each other but nothing and no-one else

• Tiffany says

Ahh, yes, I understand now. I think it was because Drew still loves Sara. When Sara moved back home I was hoping that they would try to work it out. That is one of the many reasons that I would like to see a second season. Sorry to go on about the show. I really do love it but i also understand why some do not.

7. Rosemary Flis says

PLEASE DONT CANCEL THIS SHOW. I WAIT ALL WEEK FOR SUNDAY NIGHT AT 10PM THIS IS ONE DRAMA THAT GOT ME WITH THE VERY FIRST EPISODE. IT WOULD BE GREAT IF IT WAS EVEN STEAMIER BUT THE STORYLINE IS GREAT AND LOVE THE CAST.

8. Linda Stack says

I am very tired of starting to watch a 10p.m. slot and have you pulling it off the air. Exspecially Betrayal. I looked forward to Sunday night with Once upon a time, Revenge and then Betrayal. If you put something in place in the 10 p.m. slot I probably wont bother at this point to become interested becasue they are always pulled from the air.

Linda

9. Martha says

Love the show. Dooooon’t take it offf!!! I don’t watch TV much but every Sunday at 10 I am glued to the TV..