Better with You: ABC Sitcom Cancelled; No Season Two

Better with You canceled season twoABC has some successful sitcoms on their Wednesday night schedule. Unfortunately, Better with You wasn’t popular enough for the network. The comedy has been cancelled after one season on the air.

Better with You revolves around the Putney family and their significant others. Maddie and Ben have been happily dating for a long time and aren’t in a rush to get married. They begin to question their choice when Maddie’s sister gets pregnant by her new boyfriend and they announce their plans for nuptials. The girls’ parents approve of the idea, having taken on a carpe diem approach to life. The sitcom stars Debra Jo Rupp, Jake Lacy, Jennifer Finnigan, Joanna Garcia, Josh Cooke, and Kurt Fuller.

The TV series debuted back in September to a 2.5 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 7.86 million viewers. In week two, the ratings slide to a 2.2 rating and 6.99 million. Those aren’t terrible numbers but they aren’t great either, especially considering the series was sandwiched between two already established sitcoms, The Middle and Modern Family. Both of those consistently performed much better so it would seem that some viewers were making a conscious to tune out when Better with You came on.

Should Better with You have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The ratings for Better with You slowly declined over the course of the season, hitting a season low a couple weeks ago with a 1.5 demo rating and 4.64 million viewers. While the sitcom now airs up against American Idol, The Middle does too, has a tougher timeslot, and performs significantly better.

With ABC considering starting a second night of comedy, Better with You was on the bubble for a potential renewal. ABC has now decided to cancel it, likely believing that they can get better ratings with a new sitcom.

All 22 episodes have aired and the series finale, “Better with Baby,” aired a few nights ago.

What do you think? Are you sorry that better with You isn’t getting a second season? Why do you think the sitcom didn’t attract a bigger audience?

Canceled and renewed TV show

85 Comments on "Better with You: ABC Sitcom Cancelled; No Season Two"

Notify of

Rey
Rey
May 18, 2011 7:43 am

I love Better With You! I started watching because it came on right after The Middle, and lately I’ve been watching the Middle because it comes on before Better with You. Very sad it’s being cancelled; so much funnier than the average sitcom.

yeah
yeah
May 17, 2011 8:13 pm

Why this show is hilarious

C Cummings
C Cummings
May 17, 2011 5:41 pm

Please don’t cancel Better with you. I love the show. It’ s so funny. I love the comparisons between couples. I look forward to it each week. I do DVr the show but can sit and watch when my schedule allows. Please reconsider. I’ll miss Brothers and Sisters too. So happy for the happy endings though. Thanks for that.

C Cummings
C Cummings
May 17, 2011 5:27 pm

Please don’t cancel Better with you. I love the show. It’ s so funny. I love the comparisons between couples. I look forward to it each week. I do DVr the show but can sit and watch when my schedule allows. Please reconsider. C Cummings

JMS
JMS
May 17, 2011 5:07 pm

Better With You was a perfect part of the Wednesday line up! I loved Better With You it was a great hilarious show-PLEASE don’t take it off the air-there are so few shows that are funny these days!!

Jason
May 17, 2011 1:39 pm

Better with You is hilarious! Much better than that “Middle” show that always seems to be on! ABC sux!

Angela
Angela
May 17, 2011 9:43 am

I thought it was a great show and very funny. One of my family’s favorite shows. I agree with one of the previous comments that had they aired it consistently rather than showing random repeats then it would have picked up a better following. Seems like all my favorite shows are getting canceled this season.

Maureen
Maureen
May 17, 2011 6:35 am

Seriously …. to take such a funny show off the air before it’s really had a chance to catch on is a shame! Once you get to know these characters, you can’t wait to see them each week…great blend of comedy. There aren’t many shows that can make me laugh right out loud, but this one does every week! Sooooo sad to see it not come back. Perhaps another network might be smart enough to pick it up ….. fingers crossed!

trackback

[…] TV show dates: September 22, 2010 – May 11, 2011 Series status: Cancelled […]

Q
Q
May 16, 2011 11:45 pm

I thought it was great, and romantic comedies are a very tough sell for me. Jennifer Finnegan in particular was hilarious, as was the guy who played the father. The show was against Survivor and Idol, was consistently jerked around in the lineup (once getting three or four weeks off in a row in favor of reruns of The Middle) and wasn’t given a real chance. No replacement show is going to do better and this one was growing. A bad decision and a disappointing one, too.

Ken
Ken
May 16, 2011 11:22 pm

Very disappointing! This show was extremely funny and my whole family looked forward to every new weekly episode…

Kim
Kim
May 16, 2011 8:56 pm

I thought this show was great! All 3 couples were so funny. I could relate so much with all the characters in one way or another. I don’t understand why these wonderful shows get canceled….give them a chance!! Its no wonder that people go to cable to watch shows!

Jen
Jen
May 16, 2011 6:56 pm

I’m so upset to hear this!! It was one of my favourite new comedies this season! One of the few new ones to actually make me laugh out loud.

Ellyn
Ellyn
May 16, 2011 3:46 pm

I am really disappointed that it was canceled; the show was very cute. I think that it wasn’t properly promoted by the network.

Iris
Iris
May 16, 2011 2:45 pm

“Better With You” has been cancelled. To help save this show, please join the movement to get it back! Join the “Save Better With You” page on Facebook here: http://www.facebook.com/SaveBetterWithYou and sign the petition here: http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/betterwithyou. Let’s not let this hilarious sitcom go without a fight!

wpDiscuz