Black Box: Has the ABC TV Show Been Cancelled?

Black Box TV show canceled or season two?ABC recently cancelled several shows (Mixology, Suburgatory, Betrayal, etc.) and renewed many others (Resurrection, Revenge, The Goldbergs, etc.). What about the new Black Box series that airs on Thursday nights?

The show revolves around a beautiful and brilliant neuroscientist (Kelly Reilly) who’s hiding the fact that she’s bipolar. The rest of the cast includes Ditch Davey, David Ajala, Terry Kinney, Ali Wong, David Chisum, Laura Fraser, Siobhan Williams, and Vanessa Redgrave.

The show debuted on April 24th to a poor 1.5 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 6.87 million viewers. The ratings have gotten even worse as the weeks have progressed. This week’s installment hit a new low with a 1.1 rating and 4.31 million.

While ABC hasn’t cancelled Black Box, they surely will. The ratings have just been too low to be renewed for a second season.

The question now is, “Will all of the episodes air?” There are nine episodes remaining. If the ratings keep going down, the network could easily pull the show and replace it with reruns. Hopefully they’ll either air or release them so the show’s small audience can see them.

What do you think? Do you think that Black Box should be cancelled or renewed for a second season? Do you think ABC should air all of the episodes they have?

Cindy July 25, 2014 at 8:48 pm

I love this show…ABC changed the times so there was confusion until I discovered it again. Great subject..great writing..great acting! Please don’t cancel!!!!!!

Cindy July 25, 2014 at 8:41 pm

I loved the show bring it back

margaret July 25, 2014 at 8:41 pm

Absolutely love black box. Please don’t cancel the show. Was very
disappointed to hear it may be cancelled. My daughter
is going into mental health and she can’t wait for the next episode.
Absolutely unhappy about intelligence being cancelled as well.

Dana July 25, 2014 at 8:39 pm

I really enjoyed the black box season,and looking forward to a 2season…..

Carolina July 25, 2014 at 8:37 pm

Love the show! Please do not cancel. The show is well written and acting is A+.

Barbara July 25, 2014 at 8:34 pm

Please dont cancel Black Box. I work hard and I enjoy coming home and watching this show. Kelly Reilly is very convincing. This show addresses many real neurological problems and its really Interesting.

Pam July 25, 2014 at 8:27 pm

Don’t cancel this show! I really enjoy watching the medical challenges Catherine faces. The concept of the “box” is interesting and the patients are more realistic than for example shown on “House”. The emotional conflict between Will and Ian is a plus to the show in addition to Catherine’s daughter Esme. I can see a real story development there. Also, I think Kelly Reilly’s role in this show is much more powerful than her role in “Heaven is for Real”. I was so disappointed to see Owen fire her without further investigation. This show is much better than Grey’s Anatomy!!! Let’s see a Season 2.

Anonymous July 25, 2014 at 8:19 pm

Black Box should be renewed for a second season

Sally July 25, 2014 at 8:16 pm

Have enjoyed the series Black Box. I have learned a lot about bipolar disorder. However, I do not believe has the potential of surviving another season.

Mary Sheffield July 25, 2014 at 8:08 pm

I loved The Black Box. I think this is a very relatable subject matter. I loved the comment from The Cube’s patient who was hallucinating his doubles….he said, “Do whatever you have to do. I just want to be normal.” And there was Dr. Black standing there probably thinking the same thing. Except her condition can’t be cut out. I would love to see another season. It’s nice to deal with realistic subjects and societal challenges other than violence all the time.

cindy July 25, 2014 at 9:10 pm

I looked forward to watching black box. There are not many TV shows on the general stations worth watching if you are not a reality show person. I love PBS channel my favorite and I think Blackbox is right up there as a tv series. I hope it stays so there is something worthwhile watching with some very good actors. Get rid of the reality shows, just soap operas and we need shows with good actors.

Christine July 25, 2014 at 7:59 pm

Please renew the show! This show has more thought provoking story lines than anything on TV. The ratings are low only because it is summer. If this came on before or after Grays Anatomy, it would be amazing! The actors are all amazing and the characters are great! Please bring on season 2!!!

Ann July 25, 2014 at 7:58 pm

Since you have already produced 9 new episodes, why would you run reruns instead of the new ones.? How will we know when the 9 new ones will be on.? My husband & I both enjoy this show….she is a brilliant actor & the show does delve into medical issues with amazing treatments. Please don’ t cancel this show.

admin July 26, 2014 at 9:24 am

All 13 episodes have now aired.

Jan July 25, 2014 at 7:50 pm

When this show first came on I was pretty turned off by it – didn’t watch the next couple of weeks because it was SO centered around Katherine and I wanted to see the other medical stories. But now that I picked it back up (and considering the ending of last night’s episode) I’d really like it to come back.

I loved the two hours last night. The way I can tell a show is good is that when I look at the clock for the first time there are only about 15 minutes left. Crummy shows I’m looking at at 10 after.

Not that I think what I say will do any good, but it’s a show that you DO have “get into” – you can’t take it from the first episode and be very devoted.

Gloria July 25, 2014 at 7:40 pm

Please don’t cancell BlackBox it is an excellent show. I love it and want more.it keeps you evolved. Please keep it ABC.

Diane July 25, 2014 at 7:25 pm

This is a great show. Networks need to give shows a chance to find their audience. At the rate they cancel good new shows makes me not want to invest in any new shows.