$#*! My Dad Says: Reactions to Series Cancellation

Bleep My Dad Says canceledAfter months of being on the bubble, CBS cancelled $#*! My Dad Says after just one season of 18 episodes. Though the sitcom has better ratings than Rules of Engagement and CSI: Miami, those shows will return but William Shatner and company will not.

Last week, Shatner told his fans that he was holding his breath waiting to hear about the renewal. After the cancellation news broke, Shatner wrote to his Twitter followers, “Thank you to all for the outpouring of love you have shown $#*! My Dad Says. I thank all of you for watching.” Not surprisingly, the 80-year-old actor is already busy with several new projects. He’s currently asking his followers to identify specific scenes for a new Star Trek documentary called The Captains.

Justin Halpern, the creator of the Twitter feed that spawned the TV show wrote on his blog, “It was a bummer until I remembered that I got a TV show based off a Twitter feed and a book and was basically the luckiest asshole who ever roamed this earth.”

According to Halpern, here’s what transpired when he called his no-nonsense father:

“Hey. What do you need. I’m busy,” he said.

“Do you have a second?” I said.

“Is this Justin?” he said.

“Yeah. Who’d you think it was?”

“Didn’t know. Just picked up the phone.”

“You didn’t know who it was and you answered the phone with ‘Hey. What do you need? I’m busy’?” I asked.

“Lets people know not to f—- around with my time,” he said.

“My show got canceled,” I said.

There was a moment of silence on the other end of the line and I wasn’t sure if he heard me. I was about to say it again, when he spoke.

“Well. F—-. Sorry to hear that, son.”

“Eh, it’s OK. It happens. It was crazy I got a show on the air in the first place.”

“Well, I liked it. It was kind of s—tty at first, but I thought it got a lot better. You know what show I like? Cheers. That was a good show,” he said.

“That was a good show,” I said, wondering if that was part of a larger point he was about to make.

“Also I liked The Simpsons. At first I thought, it’s just a stupid cartoon for pants-s—tters, but I was wrong, great show.” (Pants-s—tters is how my dad refers to toddlers.)

“Well, I just wanted to let you know. I know you’re busy so I’ll let you go,” I said.

“I’m 75. If you’re busy when you’re 75, you f—-ed up the first 75 years. I want you to know that I’m proud of you. You didn’t put a bullet through Bin Laden but I’m proud of you. You’re a bust-ass kid.”

“Thanks,” I said.

“And let’s not forget the big picture here. You don’t have to live with me anymore. One less person crawling up your a— every morning. That’s all anyone can f—-ing ask for.”

What do you think? Are you upset the sitcom won’t be back for season two next fall?

Canceled and renewed TV show

39 Comments on "$#*! My Dad Says: Reactions to Series Cancellation"

Notify of

8bithero
8bithero
May 24, 2011 3:27 am

@Amanda

If you honestly think it was pulling in money in advertising and they cancelled it because of the name, I have a bridge here in Brooklyn to sell you. It’s all about the dollar.

Amanda
Amanda
May 23, 2011 8:35 pm

@8bithero

If you read the reason it was cancelled it wasn’t due to ratings, it was due to the title of the show. I think that is an awful reason to cancel a show, especially a show which had outstanding ratings.

If people don’t have a problem watching all the crime shows about murder, rape, battery, child molestors, then why would they have a problem with a title? This show took away from all the other crap that is being aired now days.

Richard
Richard
May 23, 2011 4:55 pm

The show’s ratings were much better than the horrible “Rules of Engagement” and after about episode 10 it really found its stride. This is the one cancellation of any network that I regret, because when I tape Thursday nights on CBS, I have to leave a hole to not waste time between Big Bang and CSI.

adam
adam
May 23, 2011 12:31 pm

I think this post illustrates why the show didn’t live up to the source that inspired it.

8bithero
8bithero
May 23, 2011 8:55 am

@dahlhalla

Those “jerks” are the American people. Nobody was watching this show. The reason shows get cancelled is simple:

Low ratings=Less advertisers=Less money=Lost money=Cancelled show.

Why pump more money into a show than you take in?

dahlhalla
dahlhalla
May 22, 2011 7:25 pm
Well, another stupid move for CBS! Why don’t they give a show a chance? It was a funny show, and I liked it. Who are these jerks that think they know what America likes and dislikes? Sometimes people just like to watch a funny show that doesn’t require any deep thinking or the need for a degree in criminology or medicine to understand. Frankly, I’m sick of having to vote to see the outcome of a show, or watch TV with a container in case I get sick from all the HD blood and gore that can be seen on… Read more »
Jules
Jules
May 22, 2011 10:02 am

I really liked this show boo on who decided to cancel.. sometimes it just a time slot issue what is up with you programming all the popular shows on the same night and time on every channel. Thank goodness we can at least record our favorites..

MK
MK
May 22, 2011 6:13 am

It did get a lot better as it went along. Shatner and the older son and his wife were all good. The younger son…meh.

Dave
Dave
May 22, 2011 4:02 am

Great show, really sorry to see it go. Shatner and the cast were superb. Why cancel a show with 8M viewers? Something ain’t right.

Ray W.
Ray W.
May 21, 2011 7:20 pm

That’s crap!! CBS has no idea what they’re doing! This show was totally funny!

Dubya Tee
Dubya Tee
May 21, 2011 5:24 pm
I thought Shatner was perfect in the role, and he’s actualy older than the real-life ‘Dad’ for that matter, it was just a good fit. I even got a lot of people into watching the show because of how funny it was. Many of my friends thought the younger son was kind of boring in his roll, but they loved everything else about it. I’m definitely going to miss the show, and was really hoping to know who the person they were all opening the door for in the finale was, but I guess we’ll never know now. I’ll also… Read more »
a wilson
a wilson
May 21, 2011 4:34 pm

I enjoyed this show. It was funny and had some reality in it. I am sorry to see it go. I am considering stopping watching ABC CBS and NBC because it is run by the bart simpson and produced by that Idiot American Dad cartoon character. Real people could NEVER be that stupid! I can not believe that executives at these huge networks are college educated. They probably attended Mcdonands University and have a degree in burgerology….on second thought, they are not be that smart….

Ouch!
Ouch!
May 21, 2011 9:15 am

Oh thank God! The agony is over. Can’t remember why I was forced to watch this agonizing mess. The cast even appeared uncomfortable! So long. Good ridence!

Trevor
Trevor
May 21, 2011 5:42 am

Ummm who was the son? Not a good way to end the series with that hanging over your head

Jeremy Rynek
Jeremy Rynek
May 20, 2011 10:02 pm

Well this what I have to say: BULLS**T!!!!

wpDiscuz