Blue Mountain State: Cancelled; No Season Four

Blue Mountain State canceled season fourThe game is over for Coach Daniels (Ed Marinaro) and his team. There won’t be a fourth season for Blue Mountain State. The Spike TV series has been cancelled.

The comedy series revolves around the on and off-field antics of Pennsylvania college football powerhouse, Blue Mountain State. Coach Daniels has his hands full with the hijynx of his wife (Denise Richards) and students like team captain Thad (Alan Ritchson), quarterback Alex (Darin Brooks), and team mascot Sammy (Chris Romano).

The comedy performed decently for Spike in season one and realized significant gains in season two. The cable channel reported that the series saw a 33% increase with men 18-34, a 50% climb in men 18-24, and a 14% increase with men 18-49.

Total viewership dropped however in season three which kicked off this past September. While some episodes of season two had attracted 1.25 million viewers, at least one episode of season three garnered only half as many viewers. Spike TV aired the last two episodes of the season on November 30th. It turns out they’ll also be the last of the series as well.

Should BMS have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Lionsgate, the studio that produces Blue Mountain State, apparently considered shopping the series to other outlets but it didn’t work out. The cast and crew were recently told that season four wouldn’t be happening.

While it’s been reported that the show was cancelled due to a decline in ratings, producer Eric Falconer says differently. He tweeted, “BMS wasn’t cancelled because of a drop in ratings. Season 3 was actually up 20% + in all male demographics vs S2. It was a budget issue.”

As recently as last week, Falconer was still hoping to hear that the show had been picked up for season four. However, it seems that State was actually living on borrowed time with Spike — even during season three. Last August, Spike TV executive VP Sharon Levy told Variety that the cable channel would be focusing on only non-scripted programming for the immediate future.

Of the cancellation news, Ritchson wrote, “Sad day for #BMS fans.” He followed that up with, “I can’t thank the dedicated cast, crew, and fans enough for all the love and support. Portraying Thad was a dream come true. I’m grateful.”

Brooks thanked the cast and crew and “everyone who made this show possible…a HUGE thank you!! Love you guys!!”

What do you think? Are you sorry that Blue Mountain State has been cancelled? Would you follow the show to another channel? Would you be interested in a BMS movie?

Canceled and renewed TV show

528 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Tanner says

Someone needs to pick this show up it was the best **** I had ever seen funnier than hell. I finished all three seasons in a matter of days on Netflix. I would pay for cable just to watch bms. Please save the show….. GO GOATS!!!

2. Mark says

I am so confused as to why they would cancel this TV series. This was honestly one of the funniest shows I’ve ever set eyes on. If I knew about this show while it was aired I would be watching it like my sister watches big brother. I found this on Netflix and was in love with it after two episodes. Even to this day I still believe the intro to that show is the best of all time. Someone needs to continue this show.

3. Lars says

It’s very sad, that there isn’t going to be a next season. I still hope that one day, they will make a season 4. A movie of BMS is awsome idea and it is a possibility to attract the bigger audience so that they can make season 4!

4. sean bonar says

This was one of the most original shows on TV. I have to say that this sucks and is totall bullshit! BMS was so funny and it still makes me laugh every time I watch it on NETFLIX. God forbid that some one puts on a show that men like.

5. Anonymous says

BMS is the greatest show I’ve ever seen, and this is coming from a girls perspective. I love it. When my boyfriend showed it to me on Netflix I couldn’t stay away. I finished both season in about 2 weeks and I want MORE! they should definitely do a season 4 or even a movie. But a season would be better I feel. Love it and it should keep on coming.

6. Jenna says

My boyfriend and I love this show! We recently discovered it on Netflix and fell in love with it. It is hilarious. Thad is a complete joke, Alex is just funnier than ****, and Sammy makes me laugh so hard that my abs hurt the next day. Why is this show cancelled? I want a season four or even a movie!

7. Kyle says

I am so made there is not a season four. I LOVED this show so much it was hilarious! They needed to make another season. I feel like not too many people knew about the show, but now all of my friends watch the previous seasons and I always hear people talking about it. One of the funniest TV shows I have ever watched!

8. Jake says

I would follow BMS to any channel! Season 4 is a must! A movie would be awesome too! Definitely bummed that spike canceled, but I really hope that someone else will pick up this great show!