Boss: Cancelled; No Season Three But…

Boss cancelled by StarzStarz has decided to cancel Boss after two seasons on the air. The Kelsey Grammer series won’t be returning for a third season but viewers may still get some resolution.

Boss revolves around Chicago Mayor Tom Kane (Grammer), a powerful man who struggles to stay on top while secretly battling a debilitating brain disease. Others in the cast include Karen Aldridge, Connie Nielsen, Kathleen Robertson, Martin Donovan, Jeff Hephner, and Hannah Ware.

The cable channel renewed the show for a second season a month before the series even premiered. Had they waited, they might have cancelled it instead. The ratings for the first season were underwhelming and the cast and crew knew that season two would have to do better for the show to survive.

It didn’t. The second season averaged 360,000 viewers and a 0.1 rating in the demo. The cancellation certainly doesn’t come as a surprise.

While there won’t be a third season of Boss, Lionsgate TV and Starz are having discussions about wrapping up the story with a two-hour movie.

What do you think? Are you sorry that Boss has been cancelled by Starz? Do you think they’ll really make a movie?

Cammie rice March 16, 2013 at 2:29 am

I am so disappointed that Boss is canceled, what a shame,,,I live outside the US and watched Season 1 on Apple TV, but they don’t have season 2? How do ou find out if they will ever have S2? So bummed. : (

Patricia March 15, 2013 at 8:45 pm

My husband and I just learned of BOSS and started watching it. We finished Season 1 and ready to watch Season 2. What a fantastic series. I’m so disappointed that it was cancelled.

Kelli Campbell March 2, 2013 at 9:55 am

I am shocked and completely and utterly disappointed that Boss has been cancelled and will not return for a 3rd season! I watch so few “new” shows on network TV because they are all shallow, baseless, and uninspired and pander to the drooling masses who prefer to to watch mindless TV (i.e. reality shows) instead of watching shows which require thought and more than 30 seconds of concentration to watch! Boss was a smart, riveting show that made you beg for more when it ended each episode. The entire cast is a phenomenal ensemble of cleverly cast actors who brought the show to life with their performances. Each episode was brilliantly written and acted! One of the best I have seen in a long time. It is a sad commentary on our society that smart, well-acted and thought provoking TV shows are going the way of the dinosaur along with any channel that brings the arts of us! I can only hope STARZ does make a movie in order to properly conclude the show for its faithful viewers.

Elaine S Hubbard February 20, 2013 at 11:03 pm

Boss was great! I think it lacked viewer due to poor advertisement to the public.

sofeya January 24, 2013 at 11:42 am

Bad choice of reality tv expression. Reality shows “in my opinion” lacks talent, class, etc. But they do indeed get high ratings. hummmm

sofeya January 24, 2013 at 11:34 am

The show lacked viewers because of ill promotions and having the dumb reality shows airheads. Boss cast were the tops in acting. I could not perceive Mayor Kane as Kelsey. Kelsey’s acting was so excellent that Mayor Kane took on a real life person. Kudos to the entire BOSS cast.

Waddy Sams January 21, 2013 at 10:11 pm

The best show on TV. The heck with a movie, I couldn’t care less.

Williams January 14, 2013 at 2:46 am

I really liked that show. They could at lease end it right

rebecca January 13, 2013 at 3:43 pm

They always get rid of the good shows

copshowfan January 7, 2013 at 12:24 pm

This is a case of it being on Starz. I had to wait for the DVD of the first season. Tone down some of it a tad and put it on TNT and it’s a hit.

Sedviga Bushlink January 4, 2013 at 7:07 am

Shows that air on Friday night are always in jeopardy. Moving it to a more popular tv night would have saved the series. What a shame. It had so much potential.

Sherri January 3, 2013 at 12:25 am

I am shocked that this has been cancelled. I agree with the previous reviewer, I believe that there are many people that do not subscribe to Starz and maybe being on HBO or larger network this would have had increased viewers? This was really a great show. I am truly at disbelief and how frustrating to watch a series and with no warning, it is just cancelled? Shame on Starz! Move this to HBO!

pa mountain mama December 29, 2012 at 10:18 pm

I liked the overall story line, but didn’t like the amount of sex and super fowl language. the show moved EXCEEDINGLY slowly, and I think that those three things caused the downfall of the series. I hope that there is a movie to let us know how the show would go and end….

GM December 22, 2012 at 1:08 pm

I REALLY enjoyed the show!!!! I should come back for multiple seasons. But, if not, then DEFINITELY A MOVIE.

Ron Dowlat December 11, 2012 at 3:39 am

This makes absolutely no sense at all…!!
Boss is one of the BEST dramas on TV ever….!!
This show belongs on A Major Network like
ABC or CBS and the ratings would be through the
Roof….!!! Obviously they would have to remove
Some of the racy scenes…..but I’m sure it could be
Done tastfully….!!! The writing is on the wall …no
One watches The Stars channel….HBO …maybe..
….I’m really bummed about this…..!!!!