Boss: Cancelled; No Season Three But…

Boss cancelled by StarzStarz has decided to cancel Boss after two seasons on the air. The Kelsey Grammer series won’t be returning for a third season but viewers may still get some resolution.

Boss revolves around Chicago Mayor Tom Kane (Grammer), a powerful man who struggles to stay on top while secretly battling a debilitating brain disease. Others in the cast include Karen Aldridge, Connie Nielsen, Kathleen Robertson, Martin Donovan, Jeff Hephner, and Hannah Ware.

The cable channel renewed the show for a second season a month before the series even premiered. Had they waited, they might have cancelled it instead. The ratings for the first season were underwhelming and the cast and crew knew that season two would have to do better for the show to survive.

It didn’t. The second season averaged 360,000 viewers and a 0.1 rating in the demo. The cancellation certainly doesn’t come as a surprise.

While there won’t be a third season of Boss, Lionsgate TV and Starz are having discussions about wrapping up the story with a two-hour movie.

What do you think? Are you sorry that Boss has been cancelled by Starz? Do you think they’ll really make a movie?

Jean Ward June 18, 2014 at 11:29 am

I really liked this show. It had me on the edge of my seat. What a let down to find out it ended after 18 chapters!

Lulu June 15, 2014 at 2:32 pm

2 hour movie “explaining” the end —

Starz needs to do something – entire 18th episode too many loose ends – not a good ending – needed to be a #19.

Alvin March 3, 2014 at 4:01 pm

It was a great show. Really intense in every way! I hated to hear that it wasn’t coming back. But what’s just as interesting now, is that there is going to be another show about the real Chicago, with the real Mayor, Mr. Emanuel.

Shavon February 26, 2014 at 5:55 pm

I would have thought by now they would have made the mini series of Boss. The show had a loyal following and I must say it was a great series; one of the few shows that had me captivated and truly looking forward to the next week. They always remove the good stuff and leave you with a bunch of make believe crap! I guess it was too close to real life and exposed the reality of big city politics….hummm Great cast, excellent story line, and even the theme song was riveting. {Satin your kingdom must come}

Tony February 22, 2014 at 2:34 am

Boss was one of the most engaging drama series ever made. The acting was excellent and the story lines were well developed and authentic. Kelsey Grammar was brilliant in the role of Tom Cain. Reminds me of another high quality show from back in the day, Dallas. Its a shame that quality drama gets cut in favor of all of the “stupid” shows that are currently on prime time.

Midge Wood February 14, 2014 at 11:58 am

Tired of playing around with DTV and Dish over this channel. You put Boss on and it was too close to what is going on in Chicago and our DC idiots. People watch it and you took it off. I am from the 50’s so I know what when on with the mobs and what happens you take that off too. Stick with the people that pay your salary or we will all leave. Really getting tired of the crap on TV and all the reruns!!!!

Lynda January 10, 2014 at 9:30 pm

I thought it was an excellent show too. Very well written and Kelsey Grammer and associates all were incredibly good characters. Why do shows like this and S
outhland always get cancelled…

none December 23, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Boss was thrilling raw and uncut. Tom Kane was the man and T.I mad the season 2 a little bit better this is crazy that was a great series. I say forget the movie and start back shooting the series it will get better with time.

shirley October 27, 2013 at 8:48 pm

I loved this drama. It was very well written…could barely wait for the next episode. I think one of the reasons that caused the low ratings was the lack of press and advertising. Viewers didn’t know that the series exsisted. I found out by accident after I watched Oprah interviewing Kelsey Grammer.

stan the man August 26, 2013 at 7:38 pm

our course, we the fans would love to see, some type of proper ending.

Especially when the show and all aspect of it, were the best~!
plot, writing, casting, acting, directing, etc., if it would have been exposed to
a larger fan base, like SHO or HBO, it would have out lasted the Sopranos
or Dexter, it was that good, and that smart~! – some of the best TV ever made~!
its very sad we all live in a society that only cares and runs on $$$ and not on Art
Form. – for this was truly TV Art Form at its very best~!
please do at least a 2 hour movie~!
j.p. from utah

David Singleterry August 26, 2013 at 12:16 pm

I agree with Sheriff no BOSS no starz .

Lee August 19, 2013 at 10:17 am

I’ve been waiting since the end of last season to see the “NEW” season. I love “BOSS”. How in the world does some of the stupid stuff stay on tv and something like “BOSS” doesn’t make it. A suggestion would be possibly putting it on mainstream television. I’m sure it would catch on. I would much rather see the series continue than a wrap up movie, but if a movie is all that’s coming ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kelsey Grammar is a great actor I’ve followed him from Cheers to Boss. I still watch Frazier every nite.

Cynthia August 19, 2013 at 12:36 am

I’m a big Kelsey Grammar fan! Boss was excellent! Please make the movie to wrap up the series!

SM Allen August 15, 2013 at 1:29 pm

Pity – I thought it was a very good show, and I was looking forward to having it continue this fall. Quality is important.

sheriff July 25, 2013 at 11:58 pm

What the hell! We loved this show . Definately will unsubscribe to starz since Boss is the only reason we subscribed! Goodbye Starz!

jimmy December 5, 2013 at 11:43 pm

Great show. good idea to cancel Starz