Cult: New CW TV Series Replacing Cancelled Emily Owens, MD

The smallest network has announced that their newest drama, Cult, will debut on Tuesday, February 19th. It’ll be taking over cancelled Emily Owens, MD’s spot on the schedule.

It’s unclear how many episodes of Cult have been ordered but here’s the press release:

THE CW’S NEW MIDSEASON DRAMA “CULT” PREMIERES ON TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 19 (9:00-10:00 PM)

December 4, 2012 (Burbank, CA) – The CW today announced the series premiere of the mind-bending, suspenseful new drama CULT on Tuesday, February 19, 2013 (9:00-10:00p.m. ET).

Investigative journalist Jeff Sefton has learned to laugh off his younger brother Nate’s relentless string of obsessions, especially his latest rant that a hit TV show intends to harm him. However, when his brother mysteriously disappears, Jeff takes Nate’s paranoia seriously, and in the process uncovers the dark underworld of the TV series “Cult” and its rabid fans, who are obsessed with the show’s charismatic cult leader, Billy Grimm. As the show’s gruesome plot twists begin to play out in the real world, Jeff enlists the help of a young research assistant Skye in a race to save Nate and unravel the mystery behind the TV series whose hardcore fans would literally kill to see what happens next…

The series stars Matt Davis (“The Vampire Diaries”) as Jeff Sefton, Jessica Lucas (“Melrose Place,” “Cloverfield”) as Skye Yarrow, Alona Tal (“Supernatural,” “The Killing”) as Kelly Collins and Robert Knepper (“Prison Break,” “Shameless”) as Billy Grimm.

CULT is from Fake Empire and Rockne S. O’Bannon Television in association with Warner Bros. Television and CBS Television Studios, with executive producers Rockne S. O’Bannon (“Farscape,” “V”), Josh Schwartz (“Chuck,” “Gossip Girl”), Stephanie Savage (“Hart of Dixie,” “Gossip Girl”) and Len Goldstein (“Hart of Dixie”).

What do you think? Will you be giving Cult a chance?

Canceled and renewed TV show

42 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Ali says

I agree with several posts below. I loved Emily Owens MD. It was such a refreshing show with real-life struggles for Emily (Mamie) as she learns about herself and grows into the woman she is. This is a great show for young woman for empowerment. Also it is downright hilarious when we can hear her conscience talking about why she cant like will, what’s bothering her about Cassandra, etc. I will certainly not be tuning in the this Cult show-just so cliche whereas Emily Owens MD had a great message with a captivating story.

2. Emily's Fan says

Emily Owens MD was a refreshing show. I don’t usually watch this network, but my teens convinced me, and I really love this show and Mamie Gummer. I will NOT be watching Cult. No thank you!

• Claire says

Agreed! Cancelling Emily Owens is ridiculous, give the series a chance, and not up against CBS tuesday. One of the few intelligent shows on TV, canceling in favor of a more far out thing that won’t last at all makes no sense. No show can make it under those conditions.

3. Anonymous says

Just freaking ridiculous..Emily Owens MD was a great show..all these damn mystical creature **** **** shows need to go instead

4. Barbara says

Cult will never be seen in my home, solely on principle. I’m too angry that Emily Owens M.D. has been cancelled to give its replacement a chance. In fact I hope it fails miserably.

5. Joanna Kelly says

I am really disappointed in the network for canceling this show!! It actually had significant issues that are addressed in a wonderful and neutral way. It demonstrated accurate information on taboo issues which is rare on tv! Can the networks invest in originality and creativity again? I know the economy isn’t exactly strong, but I think we need to start investing in shows that reflect what the United States was founded on, innovation. The best thing about this show is you can relate to it and learn also!

6. says

There aren’t that many good shows out there, and Emily Owens MD is one of them. There are so many stupid shows and so many copy cat shows.
    I wouldn’t watch Cult if you paid me!

7. Kelly says

You cancel Emily Owens!?!?!?!?!?!?!? CW IS SO STUPID! This was my absolute new favorite show! Who needs cult when you have Emily Owens!

I believe there are a bazillion other people that agree!WHY CANCEL A PERFECT SHOW?

8. Isabella says

People always cut the good shows!!! The world doesn’t need to watch a show called “Cult” it needs more shows like Emily Owens!!!

9. susan schweitzer says

DON’T cancel Emily Owens. You are replacing it with stuff we see on TV all the time. Give Emily a chance. Give her a better lead in. I don’t understand why you leave stupid on and take away good ones!

10. says

I can’t believe this net work. Put a show one 1 short season and then cut it. This is a good show that was picking up and getting better every week. And then you have gossip girl that I stopped watching after the 3rd season… Same old , Same old story of ******* and their money issues. Emily Owens, more real and down to earth , more people can relate. You need to give it a chance.

• Kat says

Actually, the issues on Gossip Girl were very rarely about money; more often they were about interpersonal relationships (read: hooking up). And anyway, it’s going to have its series ending in a couple of weeks, so it’s kind of a moot point. I didn’t watch Emily Owens but I’ll give Cult a try!