Deception: To Be Cancelled or Renewed for Season Two?

Deception on NBC cancelled or renewed?With Revolution taking a break, NBC decided to try a new Monday night drama, Deception. Has it been a ratings success for the network or will it end up being cancelled like so many of their other Monday night dramas?

On Deception, a wealthy party girl has been mysteriously murdered. Her childhood friend, now a San Francisco narcotics detective, is convinced by her former partner to go undercover into the wealthy world she thought she’d left behind. The cast includes Laz Alonso, Meagan Good, Victor Garber, Katherine LaNasa, Tate Donovan, Wes Brown, and Ella Rae Peck.

The series debuted in January to a 2.0 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 5.66 million total viewers. Those were hardly impressive numbers and were less than half of what Revolution’s premiere drew a few months earlier. Year-to-year however, it was a big improvement over the ratings NBC was getting for Rock Center with Brian Williams.

In week two, Deception’s ratings dropped more than 20% to a 1.6 demo rating and 4.14 million. That was not positive — and the ratings kept falling. As we now near the end of Deception’s 11 episode run, the ratings seem to have stabilized at a 1.1 demo rating with about 3.3 million viewers.

Those numbers are terrible and certainly there’s no ratings justification for NBC to renew Deception for a second season. They cancelled shows like Chase and The Playboy Club and they had better numbers than Deception.

On the positive side, at least NBC aired all of the episodes. Unfortunately, viewers are unlikely to ever get their storyline questions answered.

But, what do you think? Should NBC stick with Deception and give it another shot next year or should they cancel it instead? Why do you think it didn’t catch on with a bigger audience?

Shara March 19, 2013 at 7:29 pm

Deception shouldn’t be cancelled. It is a great show!! I haven’t missed an episode.

Carol March 19, 2013 at 7:28 pm

Please do not cancel. I’m totally hooked and cannot wait to see next episode. I hope the rating number is not only from watching it on TV. I only stream it on Tuesdays. Are the streaming viewers included in the ratings? I cancelled my TV… Thing of the past !

Lauren March 19, 2013 at 7:23 pm

Love Deception and really love the actors on it. I really hope they give it another chance. Perhaps a new time slot would work better for the show…

Ed White March 19, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Keep this show on tv, it is the best show NBC has had in years.

honesty March 19, 2013 at 7:10 pm

I love this show! I havent been excited about a show in a long time. I never missed an episode. Please dont cancel!

BRANDI MCMILLAN March 19, 2013 at 7:05 pm

PLZ CONTINUE THE SHOW. I LOVE IT AND IT HAS BEEN AWHILE SINCE A GOOD SERIES LIKE THIS HAS BEEN ON TO WATCH. I NEVER MISSED AN EPISODE AND EVERYTHING ELSE STOPPED SO I COULD WATCH IT

Anonymous March 19, 2013 at 7:00 pm

I think NBC should give Deception a second round, but they really need stronger writers on the show.

Jennifer n March 19, 2013 at 6:59 pm

DON’T CANCELL !!! Please! Seriously there is so much crap on TV. This cast is amazing and sooo many loose ends to make a great season 2 out of. The audience will grow . Pretty please, give us season 2.

scorpgal March 19, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Please don’t cancel this! The ratings were bad because it was up against Castle and Hawaii Five-O, both of which I also watch (Castle rules!). The problem was the time slot, not the show. I want to know what happens, and I’m getting tired of shows being cancelled because they’re being judged on a ratings system that doesn’t work anymore. With people watching TV on the internet and with their cable system’s “On Demand” feature, ratings for live TV are no longer a reflection of how many people are actually following the show.

Naegles March 19, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Very nicely said scorpgal. I really like this show also. NBC needs to give it another try.

Anonymous March 19, 2013 at 9:01 pm

It was my favorite show! Please do not cancel it. It has fabulous actors and the story line is brilliant.I love the clever story line.

George March 19, 2013 at 9:13 pm

Boy, is this true! As I say above, I never watch anything live, so I can sail through the commercials. This show is way up on my list of likes.

J March 19, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Hope they keep it. Great show!!!

Jessica March 19, 2013 at 6:42 pm

I LOVED THIS SHOW!!!! Please, please do not cancel it. This is one of the better shows on right now. Maybe it didn’t get a high demo because it wasn’t advertised as much as it should have been. I wasn’t going to watch because of this reason and once I did I WAS HOOKED.

Karen March 19, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Absolutely a season 2.My entire family watched it and we loved it.I really hope they put on a season 2.I for one could not get enough

Marie March 19, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Please don’t cancel. It is a greater story line with wonderful actors. We need season 2!!!!!

N.Duane March 19, 2013 at 6:27 pm

Love this show, its a must see. Please renew for season 2!!!!!!

Sarah March 19, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Please don’t cancel. So tired of shows being cancelled & loyal viewers being left hanging. If this one is cancelled, no more new shows for me! NBC please don’t leave us hanging!