Deception: To Be Cancelled or Renewed for Season Two?

Deception on NBC cancelled or renewed?With Revolution taking a break, NBC decided to try a new Monday night drama, Deception. Has it been a ratings success for the network or will it end up being cancelled like so many of their other Monday night dramas?

On Deception, a wealthy party girl has been mysteriously murdered. Her childhood friend, now a San Francisco narcotics detective, is convinced by her former partner to go undercover into the wealthy world she thought she’d left behind. The cast includes Laz Alonso, Meagan Good, Victor Garber, Katherine LaNasa, Tate Donovan, Wes Brown, and Ella Rae Peck.

The series debuted in January to a 2.0 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 5.66 million total viewers. Those were hardly impressive numbers and were less than half of what Revolution’s premiere drew a few months earlier. Year-to-year however, it was a big improvement over the ratings NBC was getting for Rock Center with Brian Williams.

In week two, Deception’s ratings dropped more than 20% to a 1.6 demo rating and 4.14 million. That was not positive — and the ratings kept falling. As we now near the end of Deception’s 11 episode run, the ratings seem to have stabilized at a 1.1 demo rating with about 3.3 million viewers.

Those numbers are terrible and certainly there’s no ratings justification for NBC to renew Deception for a second season. They cancelled shows like Chase and The Playboy Club and they had better numbers than Deception.

On the positive side, at least NBC aired all of the episodes. Unfortunately, viewers are unlikely to ever get their storyline questions answered.

But, what do you think? Should NBC stick with Deception and give it another shot next year or should they cancel it instead? Why do you think it didn’t catch on with a bigger audience?

Wanetta March 26, 2013 at 12:43 am

Awesome show!! Excellent story line that keeps you coming back for more. Pleaseeee don’t cancel. It ended with an awesome cliff hanger.

maria March 25, 2013 at 11:58 pm

PLEASE!!!!! Put it BACK!!!! I LOVE DECEPTION!!!!

shelley March 25, 2013 at 11:39 pm

I love this show. Please don’t cancle. Don’t care what time you air it. I have PVR. Give it another chance. Please.

Mary March 25, 2013 at 11:23 pm

Do not cancel Deception this show is GREAT!!

Stormee March 25, 2013 at 11:09 pm

I mostly watched Deception on my computer, which may be what many other viewers are doing. I do hope that they bring it back. Maybe it’s the scheduled time. There are just too many good shows at that time–Castle and Hawaii 5-0 if I can name drop.

Jude March 25, 2013 at 10:58 pm

Great show!!!!! I watch every episode on on-demand every week.

Marty March 25, 2013 at 10:46 pm

Don’t take off the show. I thought it was a very good show. It was interesting and suspenseful. They always take the good ones off just to put something stupid on. Please let there be a second season

Trevlyn March 25, 2013 at 10:46 pm

Love love love the show. I always looked forward to Monday nights to view the show. It Definitely should not be cancel.

Kiki March 25, 2013 at 10:25 pm

Pleeeease don’t cancel the show!!! Deception has good suspense, drama, and the love story with Joanna and Jullian Bowers!!! I love the show and although the time is late I stay up every Monday to watch it. I can ‘t wait until the 2nd season. Give the show a better shot by giving it an earlier slot.

Hilary Huyck March 25, 2013 at 9:47 pm

I think that the show should atleast have a second season. The actors are great; the story line different and the suspense real. What does it take to convince NBC to carry it on for another season. Change the time slot. Think it through. Perhaps your followers should have a little more say. Thank you for listening…

Maria Gallina March 25, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Love the show, but I agree 10pm was too ltae of a time spot.It would get better ratings at a different time. Hope it is renewed because the ending left you hanging. Reminds me of how the show Awake was cancelled. I LOVED that show but the time slot and day is why that show was cancelled too.

kris March 25, 2013 at 9:33 pm

Don’t cancel deception! It’s a great, smart show

Ashley March 25, 2013 at 8:34 pm

Pleaseee don’t cancel the show!! I loved it! Great story line and actors. Put it on at 8 pm. 10pm is too late for such a great show!

IVARS March 25, 2013 at 7:49 pm

don’t cancel DECEPTION

ANNE March 25, 2013 at 7:30 pm

Keep the show, I love it! Mystery, drama, suspense plus the cliffhanger at the end of season 1, NBC owes it to its viewers to renew it!