Deception: To Be Cancelled or Renewed for Season Two?

Deception on NBC cancelled or renewed?With Revolution taking a break, NBC decided to try a new Monday night drama, Deception. Has it been a ratings success for the network or will it end up being cancelled like so many of their other Monday night dramas?

On Deception, a wealthy party girl has been mysteriously murdered. Her childhood friend, now a San Francisco narcotics detective, is convinced by her former partner to go undercover into the wealthy world she thought she’d left behind. The cast includes Laz Alonso, Meagan Good, Victor Garber, Katherine LaNasa, Tate Donovan, Wes Brown, and Ella Rae Peck.

The series debuted in January to a 2.0 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 5.66 million total viewers. Those were hardly impressive numbers and were less than half of what Revolution’s premiere drew a few months earlier. Year-to-year however, it was a big improvement over the ratings NBC was getting for Rock Center with Brian Williams.

In week two, Deception’s ratings dropped more than 20% to a 1.6 demo rating and 4.14 million. That was not positive — and the ratings kept falling. As we now near the end of Deception’s 11 episode run, the ratings seem to have stabilized at a 1.1 demo rating with about 3.3 million viewers.

Those numbers are terrible and certainly there’s no ratings justification for NBC to renew Deception for a second season. They cancelled shows like Chase and The Playboy Club and they had better numbers than Deception.

On the positive side, at least NBC aired all of the episodes. Unfortunately, viewers are unlikely to ever get their storyline questions answered.

But, what do you think? Should NBC stick with Deception and give it another shot next year or should they cancel it instead? Why do you think it didn’t catch on with a bigger audience?

Lindsay March 26, 2013 at 4:00 pm

DO NOT CANCEL, they are so many unanswered questions. Please renew

Clara March 26, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Do not cancel. Give it another chance. It ranks up there with Scandal. I am turning all my friends on to this show!

Annette March 26, 2013 at 2:49 pm

I am so tired of the “Reality Shows” which are not reality at all. I much prefer watching a drama series such as Deception. I certainly hope there will be a Season 2

Sheila March 26, 2013 at 2:18 pm

This is a show that deserves a 2nd chance. There are a lot of shows out there that can do to be cancelled but this is not one of them. It has everything you want in a show; suspense, drama, mystery and surprises….who could ask for more!
I do agree that a time change may work for ratings; I get up at 4AM so I am in the bed early and have to catch it on Hulu….but never miss it!!

Dan March 26, 2013 at 11:43 am

I watch Deception and it is an awesome show. I also watch abc’s Revenge. Both shows have great talent and interesting stories that keep you wanting to watch.
I think Monday night at 10pm is not a good slot to obtain more viewers

Esta C. Griffin March 26, 2013 at 10:04 am

I love the show. Deception is my favorite…Wes Brown is a brilliant actor.. Please don’t
Cancell..

ANITA March 26, 2013 at 10:00 am

PLEASE DONT CANCEL IT… IT IS A GREAT SHOW…

corey March 26, 2013 at 9:12 am

I’ve watched this show from day one. Meagan Good is an absolute goddess. Besides it’s an excellent show and coming from someone who loved season one of Revenge (season two is an absolute horror show) NBC should definitely bring it back for another go around. The 10pm Monday slot sucks. If they do bring it back they have to move it away from Monday Night Football. If not, somebody else pick it up. NBC Universal has cable options. They owe it to the people like myself who have watched it since the first episode. Also, John Laroquette plays a great character. Either way, Meagan Good is going to be a star.

Anonymous March 26, 2013 at 8:58 am

Please do not cancel the show! I love the show!!!!

Shawna March 26, 2013 at 8:43 am

PLEASE keep Deception its a great show.

cece March 26, 2013 at 7:12 am

I love the show and honestly was looking forward to season two please don’t cancel it.

SANDI March 26, 2013 at 6:24 am

Noooooooo!!!! PLEASE don’t cancel Deception!!!! This show is as good a Scandal and some of the episodes are BETTER than Scandal. Will the show always be about the Bowers only? What’s going to go on with Will? Joanna, Jullian, Mia and as crazy as it sounds, Vivian? I agree with the other fans, change the air time to 9:00pm Eastern/8:00 pm Central. The cast is EXCELLENT. John Larroquette is a veteran and he is exceptional! Two things, make Joanna “smarter”. Develop Will’s social life a little more (but in an appealing way). Who is he outside of work? What’s the story with the gardener? How’d he get stuck with the Bowers? I WANT TO SEE LITORAL GO THE MARKET, MAKE IT HAPPEN NBC!!!

Debra March 26, 2013 at 4:35 am

the rating is low because the show come on at 10:00 pm. But this drama is the really good. I watch a ll eps in two days. Bring this show back

sherice March 26, 2013 at 1:04 am

Please don’t cancel love this show!!! Great drama, suspense, I actually tune out my other favorite shows just to catch Deception.

Anonymous March 26, 2013 at 12:59 am

I was shocked to see Deception didn’t come on tonight, but a show named Revolution which I thought was a new show until I read the article. Anyway I watched Hawaii Five O. Deception was a great show, with great characters and excellent story line and should at least be given a chance at a 2nd season. I don’t know who determines if/when a show should not be continued, but they need to rethink this.

Unknown March 26, 2013 at 10:06 am

Deception didn’t air last night because last week was the season finale. I love the show….I hope they don’t cancel it.