Drop Dead Diva: Lifetime Series Cancelled; No Season Five?

Drop Dead Diva canceledLifetime has decided to cancel Drop Dead Diva after four seasons on the air.

Debuting in July 2009, Drop Dead Diva begins as a vapid aspiring model named Deb is killed in a car accident. Unhappy with her prospects in heaven, she finds herself sent back to Earth and ends up in the body of a recently deceased lawyer, Jane (Brooke Elliott). Deb must now deal with being in the body of her complete opposite –someone who’s brilliant, hard-working, charitable, and overweight.

Others in the cast have included Margaret Cho, April Bowlby, Kate Levering, Jackson Hurst, Josh Stamberg, Ben Feldman, Lex Medlin, and Carter MacIntyre.

The fourth season finished airing on September 9th and averaged 2.3 million viewers with a 0.8 rating in the 18-49 demographic. That was slighly better than the performance of the third season — 2.26 million with a 0.7 in the demo. The cable channel reportedly tried to get a boost in the ratings this season by adding Kim Kardashian in a recurring role but that move obvioulsy didn’t have much of an impact.

Lifetime was supposedly holding off on making a decision on Diva’s future until they saw some of their current pilots. One can assume that, since they’ve cancelled Drop Dead Diva, they liked what they saw.

Word is that Sony Pictures TV may try to find another home for the series. Josh Berman created the show and FOX recently cancelled his other program, The Mob Doctor.

What do you think? Are you sorry that Drop Dead Diva has been cancelled? Would you watch it on another station?

cam April 22, 2014 at 10:52 am

Absolutely bring back Diva, let me know where! I had a big void in Sunday night viewimg, Diva & Army Wives. Please, Please bring her back!!!!

P Matt March 14, 2014 at 2:10 pm

Please bring this show back! I love it and look forward to each season that it airs. It is very good and I love the people that play in it. They are great.

t March 15, 2014 at 12:20 am

if your going to end it can i get a resolution

tamia lont September 23, 2013 at 11:49 am

well i keep checking netflix and now i know but i liked and was ready to see what happened next, sorry its gone

mam August 26, 2013 at 12:56 am

Bring it back, I will watch on what ever station it’s on.

Tammy August 22, 2013 at 10:28 am

its refreshing to finally watch funny, sweet and kindness on tv. we get enough violence just by watching the news.

Paula August 18, 2013 at 7:36 pm

What tha, no new season, get with it people, it is one of the best mini series on TV. Bring it back

Amanda July 15, 2013 at 6:35 am

My daughter got me started on this show on Netflix, I had never heard of Drop Dead Diva until last week. When I first started this show I thought it was a ridiculous teen show, but I couldn’t seem to stop watching. It got more interesting by the episode and by the second season I realized that it was not a kid show. I have since interested several of my friends to watch the show. I finished all four seasons in less than a week. I would love to see a season five regardless to what channel it airs on. The show can not end like that. I will be watching for a fifth season and I really hope the writers do not let us down.

Mishelle May 13, 2013 at 1:56 pm

PLEASE bring it back…anywhere…I will watch wherever it lands!!