Emily Owens, MD

CW TV series Emily Owens MDNetwork: The CW
Episodes: 13 (hour)
Seasons: One

TV show dates: October 16, 2012 — February 5, 2013
Series status: Cancelled

Performers include: Mamie Gummer, Justin Hartley, Aja Naomi King, Kelly McCreary, Harry Lennix, Necar Zadegan, and Michael Rady.

current TV show

TV show description:
Emily Owens (Mamie Gummer) thought that she was done with the world of high school. After all, she graduated years ago and has now finished medical school as well. Unfortunately, her years as a geeky girl have come back to haunt her.

Emily is beginning an internship at Denver Memorial Hospital, a facility where her med-school crush Will Collins (Justin Hartley) is also an interning. Unfortunately, her high school nemesis, gorgeous and popular Cassandra Kopelson (Aja Naomi King), is also interning at Denver Memorial as well.

Another intern, Tyra Dupre (Kelly McCreary), warns Emily that the cliques at the hospital are all too familiar: the jocks have become orthopedic surgeons; the mean girls are in plastic surgery; and the rebels are in the ER. Tyra has her own awkward place as “the principal’s kid” since her father, Doctor Tim Dupre (Harry Lennix), is the chief resident. Tyra latches onto Emily as a new friend, and immediately begins confiding in her. Nothing is too personal to share with Emily — Tyra is a lesbian, that she hasn’t come out to her father yet and she’s interested in dating a certain nurse.

Emily soon realizes that the long-standing rivalry she had with Cassandra back in high school is only going to grow. Both Emily and Cassandra are competing to impress brilliant Doctor Gina Bandari (Necar Zadegan), a world-famous cardiothoracic surgeon who’s been an inspiration and role model to both of them for years.

While Emily and Cassandra vie for Doctor Bandari’s approval, they’re also competing for Will’s attention. Handsome Will and Emily were friends in medical school but Emily was always hoping for more. Will has made it clear that he likes their relationship the way it is — as just friends. Emily struggles to convince herself that being friends with Will is enough, but it bothers her to see Will and Cassandra even talking with one another.

Meanwhile, Emily is also getting to know Doctor Micah Barnes (Michael Rady), a nerdy yet smart and handsome resident. Micah is faced with serious medical issues within his own family, and Emily’s compassion proves an invaluable help. Impressed with Emily’s medical skills and warm bedside manner, Micah brings her in on a delicate surgery and talks her through the procedure, boosting her confidence and bringing them closer — both professionally and personally.

With the long hours, the heavy workload, and personal drama filling her first days as an intern, Emily still fees like she’s the new geeky kid all over again. It’s just as awkward as high school. Somehow however, she’s sure that she can make it.
space

Series Finale

Episode #13 — “Emily and… the Leap”
Emily’s decision about starting a relationship with Micah becomes even more complicated when Will hears about it and begins to feel jealous. Emily and Tyra treat an unruly woman, but after learning of her home hoarding situation, Emily wonders if the woman’s personality changes may be caused by her many cats. Now that Cassandra and Will have broken up, Cassandra’s strictly professional behavior distracts Will and causes him to misdiagnose their patient. Meanwhile, Micah’s sister comes to town after finding out the truth about their mother.
First aired: February 5, 2013

space

What do you think? Do you like the Emily Owens, MD TV series? Do you think that it should have been cancelled or renewed for another season?

Jamaecah Lardera January 14, 2013 at 9:19 am

Talking honestly, it was one of the best shows on earth. The series does not deserve a cancellation. There are other shows that doesn’t worth watching and should not be given prospect on.

Leah January 13, 2013 at 12:04 pm

This show is soooooo good it either needs to be renewed or picked up by another network. It is extremely realatable, real and entertaining and is one of the shows on this network that I religiously watch every week. As an actor myself I definitely wanted an opportunity to guest star on this so because I immediately connected with it. This is the one major issue I have with the CW Network they don’t actively promote the worthy shows and then cancel them too soon. Exibit A: Stupid Hype, enough said.

rosemarie January 12, 2013 at 8:46 pm

both my husband and I like this program very much…we were disappointed to hear that it was to be cancelled
What a waste…there is so much garage on TV and it is too bad there does not seem to be room for an entertaining show with interesting characters and situations.

Jim January 12, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Thought show was moving well and should be kept. Not a top show but better than most.

kellie January 12, 2013 at 12:40 pm

PLEASE DON’T CANCEL IT!!! I beyond love that show. Emily is like the best character in the world. I love how she is just so awkward, but yet she makes it work. I can relate to her so much. Please don’t cancel it.

Laura lacher January 11, 2013 at 5:00 pm

I work 40 hrs a week so not much time for tv but I def Hulu it up with this series!!! Pls don’t cancel!!! Me & my girls love love love this show!!

Rinky January 10, 2013 at 2:46 am

I LOVE this show–one of the best shows ! It certainly beats Grey’s Anatomy.
Maybe it’s because I can relate to Emily. Unrequited love, arch nemesis, bitchy boss,
challenging patients……..she handles it in her own style and by remaining true to herself.
Mamie Gummar does an excellent job!

shell January 9, 2013 at 8:42 pm

One of the best shows can’t believe it is being cancelled

pbunny January 9, 2013 at 7:20 pm

FYI there is a petition out there to try and keep the show around! http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/resusitate-emily-owens/

Tammy McLean January 9, 2013 at 1:41 pm

I really hope it’s not true that Emily Owens is being cancelled!??! Love this show!!!! One of my fave new shows!!!! Please don’t cancel!!!!

Yesi January 9, 2013 at 12:37 pm

Really wish they would continue the show!

luv this show January 9, 2013 at 12:33 pm

My sisters n I absolutely love this show, seriously its better than Arrow or Beauty and the Beast ,hands down. Please don’t cancel it!!!

Bonnie January 9, 2013 at 12:11 am

This show is very entertaining! Maybe it hasn’t been marketed right to attract a wider audience. It’s a TRUE jewel!!!!

Janice January 8, 2013 at 11:41 pm

Please give us more of Emily Owens!!!! This show is the best.

laure January 8, 2013 at 9:14 pm

Please don’t cancel the show, my daughter and I love it!!