Flashpoint: Not Returning to CBS But…

Flashpoint season fiveAre you missing Flashpoint on CBS? Can’t wait for it to return to primetime? Well, we have some good news and bad news.

On the downside, season four of Flashpoint averaged a 1.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 6.25 million viewers on CBS. That made it the weakest original programming on the network. It won’t be back.

On the positive side of things, the ION cable channel has licensed the first four seasons of Flashpoint and is ready to start airing them. That’s 62 episodes, including 11 installments that CBS didn’t purchase the rights to run. They begin airing on Tuesday, October 18th.

What’s more, ION acquired the rights to air all of the existing episodes of Flashpoint from CBS Television Distribution — as well as any future episodes. Flashpoint is produced in Canada for the CTV network and they’ve already ordered a fifth season of 18 installments. If ION finds rating success with the 62 they’ve already licensed, they have the exclusive option to purchase the new episodes as well.

Here’s the press release from ION:

ION TELEVISION PREMIERES HIT POLICE DRAMA “FLASHPOINT” WITH ORIGINAL EPISODES TUESDAY, OCTOBER 18 AT 10PM ET/PT

NEW YORK, September 12, 2011- ION Television premieres its newly acquired hit police drama “Flashpoint” on Tuesday, October 18 at 10pm ET/PT with new original episodes. ION Television, the new home for the award-winning series, will schedule “Flashpoint” in a two-hour block on Tuesdays from 10pm-12am ET/PT and again on Saturdays from 9-11pm ET/PT.

To support the series launch, ION Television will unveil an integrated marketing campaign, including television, print, out-of-home & digital advertising. As part of the campaign for the first-time ever, ION will feature a Quick Response code on all printed marketing elements, which will provide fans access to exclusive cast interviews, a never-before-seen sneak peek from the premiere episode and entry into the ‘Flashpoint Alert’ contest, starting September 26th. The online contest provides fans a chance to win weekly cash prizes by scheduling the premiere episode onto their digital calendars and their social media platforms.

ION Television, a top-10 network, acquired the rights to all existing episodes and future production of “Flashpoint” from CBS Television Distribution earlier this year. The production of the season’s upcoming episodes marked ION Television’s first venture into originals planned by the network in the coming year.

“Flashpoint” joins ION Television’s primetime line-up of hit off-network series such as “Psych,” Monk,” “Criminal Minds,” and “Without a Trace,” and its blockbuster theatricals, which have driven record ratings for the network. The new series joins the schedule on the heels of ION’s recent acquisition of the hit series “Leverage” and “House,” both set to launch on ION in 2012.

Starring Hugh Dillon (Durham County), Enrico Colantoni (Veronica Mars), Amy Jo Johnson (Felicity) and David Paetkau (Whistler), “Flashpoint” is the nail-biting cop drama and an emotional journey into the tough, risk-filled lives of a group of police in the Strategic Response Unit (inspired by Toronto’s Emergency Task Force). Members of a highly-skilled tactical team, they are trained in negotiating, profiling and getting inside the subject’s head to understand the emotional breaking point (the “flashpoint”) that triggered the crisis.

“Flashpoint” is produced by Pink Sky Entertainment and Avamar Entertainment in association with CTV and CBS. Executive producers are Anne Marie La Traverse and Bill Mustos. Creators are Mark Ellis and Stephanie Morgenstern. David Frazee is Series Consultant.

Source: Top 10 Rank; Nielsen Media Research, Live+SD, 9/27/2010-8/28/2011, M-Sun 7P-12A, A25-54 (000). Excludes kids, news, and sports nets.

About ION Television
ION Television is a leading U.S. general entertainment network, combining high-quality programming and dependable broadcast distribution with an attitude of innovation and growth normally associated with a cable channel. Its “Positively Entertaining” network brand positioning features a formula of proven series, an expansive catalog of blockbuster movies and a commitment to introduce new original programming. Since its recent launch in 2008, ION’s reach has grown to 99 million households and has become one of the top-15 TV rated U.S. networks in record time. For more information, visit www.iontelevision.com.

What do you think? Will you be watching Flashpoint on ION? Are you excited about the new episodes?

Shawn October 17, 2013 at 6:02 am

I have been watching reruns late night (3am now) because there’s no other shows. The plots are so frustrating and stupid. The elite team captain acts like an uninformed and untrained teenager. He and his team constantly put many innocent people at risk just so they can talk a guy (usually) holding a gun to give up. So many situations can easily be resolved by some common persons and commonsense. But the writer wants to create some tension moment to the plot. The result is so artificial and laughable (did I say it is supposed to be tensed).

Pam September 15, 2013 at 3:14 pm

What can the fans do for CBS to keep filming Flashpoint? As one fan said a lot of people don’t see it bc its on too late and it doesn’t get the promotion it deserves. Also I’m sure there’s a lot of views don’t have satellite or cable to where they can see it ION so they have never heard of it. I watch a lot of TV with most of my favorite being crime drama and Flashpoint is at the top above NCIS, Criminal Minds and a few more. The cast of Flashpoint work so well together that I sometimes forget it’s a TV show. I love seeing their softer side as well as their professionalism and dedication to their job. I don’t beg but PLEASE CBS RENEW IT!!!!

liz Reid September 15, 2013 at 1:38 am

Fascinating …I can spell!

liz Reid September 15, 2013 at 1:29 am

What an incredibly short sighted decision to cancel FlashPoint. Each TV police drama has led up to this years most violent ,dark ,often sinister, hard to often understand dialog, and plots. We find FlashPoint fasitating to watch and understand how such an necessarily, final containtment group has to get ready mentally and physically prepared to handle the END of many grave situations. You have magnificently given us small look as to handle the actions taken and those characters.
I’t is wrong to cancel F.P. You never gave it the introduction hype and prior exposure. The tv audience was never teased with what was coming. Being shot in Canada I read how Inexpensive vs. shot in U.S. it is. Give it a real chance. PROMOTE IT please.

JoAnn August 18, 2013 at 8:55 pm

I try to catch every episode of this show. It’s very fascinating. Love this show! Also, I love the bald head gentleman with the blue eyes!

Jean June 16, 2013 at 8:54 pm

Please bring it back I love the actors and actress and the show is very entertaining. I love to watch Sam and Mary Jo hide their love from others. All of them are great, please keep that cast together. I also like Parker.

Maggie Wood June 12, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Hard to believe this series did not make it with CBS. What was it up against? We are watching on ION, then discovered it on Net Flix but only through Season 4, Episode 7. Is the rest of season 4 and all of season 5 going to be aired? If so, when?

Cindi June 1, 2013 at 2:41 am

Just started watching the series….love love love it. Hope to find the next season on ion.

Paula Sell May 4, 2013 at 8:01 pm

I don’t have ION channel so won’t be able to watch this awesome show. CBS made a big mistake with this show and am disappointed in CBS. I have stopped watching many stupid shows that it continues to carry.

Elena April 18, 2013 at 12:15 am

Don’t stop this show!!! It is fabulously humane, well written, well acted, and allows us to view the best human nature has to offer. Please, keep it going!!

Elena April 18, 2013 at 12:12 am

I absolutely love this humane, well acted, well written show that brings out the best in human behavior. Don’t stop the show!!!

TK April 14, 2013 at 12:25 am

I’m excited ION picked up Flashpoint!! I hate it when there is an awesome TV series that gets canceled because of the “Reality” shows that I can’t stand to watch!

Susan February 22, 2013 at 8:34 pm

I’m just started watching Season 1 via Netflix. I’m addicted. Can’t get anything else done. lol. I’m ecstatic to know Season 5 is coming!!!! And PLEASE don’t EVER get rid Ed. He’s just way too sexy!! hehehe

Michael Parsons February 20, 2013 at 12:27 am

I have some difficulty understanding why one of the best shows on TV is being shelved. I really look forward to each episode as the highlight of the day. I would vote for all the reality shows be canned and opt for more shows like Flashpoint take their air time. The cast really brings things to life in every show to the extent that you want to be there to help! Bottomline, I think the network is screwing up! Unfortune the viewers cannot sign a petition to keep Flaspoint alive! I will make every effort to record as many show as possible to have for future viewing.

Barbara February 5, 2013 at 4:14 pm

please please do not stop this show it’s the best but it’s on so late so alot of the world never hear or see the show i tell friends about and the say they never see it and when they do they love flashpoint. please but it on earler like 8 or 9 pm and i bet it will be the number one show on tv .please give it an other try.