Flashpoint: CBS TV Series Returns in Two Weeks

FlashpointCBS’ new Friday night dramedy, CHAOS, debuted to poor ratings and never recovered. The network has pulled and essentially cancelled the TV series after three episodes. That’s ultimately good news for fans of Flashpoint.

This week, CBS will fill the timeslot with a rerun of CSI: NY. Next week, the previously scheduled The Royal Wedding: Modern Majesty special will air. Then, on May 6th, the fourth season of Canadian drama Flashpoint will kick off.

You may recall that, back in January, CBS made an unusual deal for more episodes of Flashpoint. Last summer, CBS didn’t get around to airing six episodes from season three. CTV, the Canadian network, did finish airing them and commissioned a fourth season of 18 episodes. Those are still in production. CBS President Nina Tassler seemed to be on the fence about purchasing any more episodes.

Ultimately the network decided to purchase the rights to seven episodes from CTV’s season four, combine them with the leftover half dozen from season three, and run them this summer. In addition, cable channel Ion has made a deal to run theseries. The current round of CBS episodes will be added to the package once the network’s licensing deal expires.

CBS had planned to bring Flashpoint back sometime this summer but, with the failure of CHAOS, the network’s bringing the show back earlier than expected. If the network doesn’t preempt the schedule or air reruns, it looks like the season will be finished by the end of July.

What do you think? Are you glad to hear Flashpoint is coming back in just a couple weeks. Will you be watching?

Canceled and renewed TV show

54 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Linda Burch says

This is terrific news! Flashpoint is my favorite show, and I just can’t get enough of it! Kudos to CBS.

2. Maureen says

I am so pleased CBS have the good sense to air Flashpoint again. It is probably the best show on tv today. Let’s hope it continues indefinitely.

3. Cheryl Faye says

I am delighted that FlashPoint will be back. That was one of my favorite shows. If I couldn’t catch it when it aired, I always caught up with my DVR. Best decision CBS could’ve made.

4. Dee says

I live in Canada, so I got to see those mising episodes. That being said, I’m glad the show has some continuing popularity south of the border.

5. Sherry says

I’m so happy that Flashpoint in coming back. My favorite show. This show needs to stay on tv. Love it. Keep it!!!!!!

6. Gwen says

I LOVE Flashpoint!!! I am so glad that it will be returning!!! It is the only show that my husband watches on TV also. Please keep it on air.

7. Kat says

I’m just glad we’re getting to see more Flashpoint here in the U.S.; I already had it marked for summer, but sooner’s all right, too! As much as I’m a fan of Eric Close, CHAOS wasn’t any good — or, scratch that, it was boring.

8. Mary Townsend says

Oh you better believe I will be watching. I have been waiting for it to come back. It is the best show anywhere around. SOOOOOOO happy.

9. Mary D, says

I cannot WAIT!!!! This is my all-time FAVORITE series and I have missed it tremendously!!! I knew it was making it back for the summer, but this news is OUTSTANDING!! Just like the show!!!!!

THANK YOU, CBS!!!!!!!!!!!