Flashpoint: CBS TV Series Returns in Two Weeks

FlashpointCBS’ new Friday night dramedy, CHAOS, debuted to poor ratings and never recovered. The network has pulled and essentially cancelled the TV series after three episodes. That’s ultimately good news for fans of Flashpoint.

This week, CBS will fill the timeslot with a rerun of CSI: NY. Next week, the previously scheduled The Royal Wedding: Modern Majesty special will air. Then, on May 6th, the fourth season of Canadian drama Flashpoint will kick off.

You may recall that, back in January, CBS made an unusual deal for more episodes of Flashpoint. Last summer, CBS didn’t get around to airing six episodes from season three. CTV, the Canadian network, did finish airing them and commissioned a fourth season of 18 episodes. Those are still in production. CBS President Nina Tassler seemed to be on the fence about purchasing any more episodes.

Ultimately the network decided to purchase the rights to seven episodes from CTV’s season four, combine them with the leftover half dozen from season three, and run them this summer. In addition, cable channel Ion has made a deal to run theseries. The current round of CBS episodes will be added to the package once the network’s licensing deal expires.

CBS had planned to bring Flashpoint back sometime this summer but, with the failure of CHAOS, the network’s bringing the show back earlier than expected. If the network doesn’t preempt the schedule or air reruns, it looks like the season will be finished by the end of July.

What do you think? Are you glad to hear Flashpoint is coming back in just a couple weeks. Will you be watching?

Dell July 30, 2011 at 10:49 am

Something to look forward to watching on Friday night is Flashpoint. Great actors and storyline. Please keep it going!

Brenda June 28, 2011 at 11:58 am

I hope Flashpoint comes back. alot of the networks are just a butch of garbage shows I don’t think this show fair well and thats to bad

veg June 24, 2011 at 7:21 pm

YES! YES! YES! I love that show can’t wait for Fridays. Thank you!

Misti June 19, 2011 at 9:53 pm

Sooooo happy! Love this show!

L From Hawaii June 1, 2011 at 10:47 pm

Flashpoint is a fantastic show with interesting characters and story lines. Don’t even think about not renewing this program! I eagerly await each episode.

bud0518 June 1, 2011 at 9:15 am

While I don’t always get to watch TV when the actual show is on due to parenthood, I do DVR it to watch at a later time. Does recording a show count towards it’s ratings? It should if it doesn’t. Love watching Flashpoint and glad it’s coming back!

Mike May 30, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Flashpoint is one of my favorite shows. In my opinion, there is no way it should even be considered for cancellation. Its greatest appeal lies in the fact that the scenarios the SRU have to deal with are never purely black and white, or good versus evil. Instead every episode makes you think about how you would handle the situations the antagonists find themselves in. How far would you go, what laws would you break to save a loved one from certain death, or prove your innocence after a wrongful conviction? How many setbacks and tragedies could you handle until you finally met your breaking point? At what point would you become fed up with law enforcement’s inability to put a local thug or drug dealer behind bars until you take matters into your own hands? Where’s your Flashpoint?

Zaida isern May 27, 2011 at 3:34 am

Keep Flashpoint comming, we love this show!

D & K May 15, 2011 at 7:10 pm

YES YES YES!! WE LOVE FLASHPOINT and hope it continues all summer!

sunny May 13, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Excellent. keeps u turned in.

Anonymous May 9, 2011 at 9:05 am

Flashpoint is good Friday night entertainment.
My wife and I enjoy it.
Maybe CBS would air more episodes.
CBS needs to promote the show if they had any thoughts of keeping it around.

Blackwolff9 May 5, 2011 at 5:30 pm

I have just one word to say about Flashpoint’s return: YAAAAAYYYYY!!!!! :D

Donna Hackman May 2, 2011 at 2:42 am

There are very few t.v. shows I’ve lost sleepover. I found the series on netflix, and I do say, I’ve been addicted. This is by far the best police show EVER. I’m so glad to hear it’s being picked up. The writing is brilliant, the way they intertwine the everyday lives of the team to their personal lives. I can’t wait to see the fourth season. I am forever a fan, and the actors are so beautifuly played as you are right there with them. Count me in as their number one fan junkie.

anita and ron payne May 1, 2011 at 2:52 am

this is absolutely fabulous news, we are huge huge fans of Flashpoint and we are delighted to hear that cbs will give them another chance, it is an awesome show.. hope this time it is here to stay. also saw the star of flashpoint in the “Kennedys” on REELZ and he did again a great job, come on CBS, don’t you know a good thing when you see it?

Adam Decker April 27, 2011 at 7:53 am

While it is a shame that Chaos won’t be around (but there’s always a slim chance that it will find life on Saturdays), it’s great to know that they’re replacing it with a good show like Flashpoint.

Anonymous April 28, 2011 at 7:37 pm