Flashpoint: Fans Can Relax; CBS Renews Cop Show for Season Three

FlashpointFaithful Flashpoint viewers can finally breath easy. CBS has renewed the cop drama for a third season.

Following the work of a group of highly trained police officers called Strategic Response Unit (SRU), the show stars Enrico Colantoni, David Paetkau, Hugh Dillon, Sergio Di Zio, Michael Cram, Mark Taylor, Ruth Marshall, and Amy Jo Johnson.

A Canada-based series, Flashpoint was initially produced for the CTV network. CBS picked up the rights to air the first season of episodes, in part to bank programming during the writers strike. It ended up being a ratings success for the network when it began airing in July 2008.

Both CTV and CBS renewed the series for a second year and those episodes began airing in February 2009. Nine additional installments were ordered with the plan to start running them in July. CBS changed the plan and decided to hold them until mid-season 2009-10. (CTV began running that batch in September.)

Are you glad that Flashpoint's coming back?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The absence of Flashpoint from the schedule has made many viewers nervous — especially in light of the fact that Medium now fills the cop show’s old timeslot.

Well, Flashpoint fans can rest a little bit easier now. Not only has the network not forgotten about the show but they’ve just ordered 13 additional installments. That will bring the season three total to 22 episodes.

CBS still hasn’t set a specific return date but, since at least nine episodes have already been completed, the network could use them to replace an under-performing show (read: Three Rivers).

What do you think? Are you excited to see another round of Flashpoint? Would you cancel an existing CBS show to bring it back sooner?

vicky October 14, 2011 at 5:13 am

Flashpoint is one of the best shows that I injoy. I wish it would come back on tv soon.
During the summer of 2011 it was on friday at 8pm on Cbs , I wish it would, come back on the same time, so it doesn’t interfer with my other shows.

Rick May 13, 2011 at 6:24 pm

Just saw this show 1st time tonite…thought it was a “new series”!! GREAT show…best series I can remember on CBS since “M.A.S.H.”….moved my mind and my heart. Hope they keep it going.

CARMELO DE PAULA-ARIAS March 13, 2011 at 1:08 pm

PLEASE, PLEASE, BRING IT BACK SOON. WE LOVE THIS SHOW AND WE HOPE TO BE ABLE TO WATCH ASAP.I’II KEEP MY FINGERS CROSSED.

Sandee February 21, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Love Love Love Flashpoint bring them back asap and more of it.

CARMELO DE PAULA-ARIAS January 20, 2011 at 11:03 am

THANK GOD IT IS COMING BACK. ONE OF THE BEST SHOWS EVER. MY FAMILY AND I ARE WAITING FIR THE NEXT EPISODE.

Liv November 17, 2010 at 4:40 pm

WHEN IS IT COMING BACK!?! I MISS WATCHING IN ON FRIDAY NIGHTS! THAT BLUE BLOODS SHOW IS ALWAYS ON AND I DONT LIKE IT VERY MUCH FLASHPOINT IS BETTER!! PLEASE HURRY UP AND BRING IT BACK! PLEASE!

dtw November 6, 2010 at 6:42 pm

this show has good characters and endless potential. why is it that it is a fight every year to get new episodes? oh, i know the answer…. it isn’t sexy enough (although i suspect the ladies like dillon plenty). what is wrong with a good old fashioned show that has great stories and interpersonal interactions as the focus?

Joe and Lisa October 10, 2010 at 11:30 am

We love Flashpoint and are missing it on Friday nights!! Please bring it back – it beats the shows that are on now!!!

Anonymous October 1, 2010 at 10:35 pm

My husband and I love the show..when will they air the new ones?
Can’t wait !

samantha schuelke September 28, 2010 at 8:33 am

We look forward to this show, it is awsome, better than alot of other crappy shows that are on weekly!!!!

rick May 21, 2010 at 12:24 pm

flashpoint returns june 4,2010

Chester March 25, 2010 at 5:34 pm

PLEASE just tell us if and when it will be back and stop all the drama, we liked the show as it is better than a lot of what is on now that is called entertainment

Vincelle (Vince ) Caviness March 25, 2010 at 1:00 pm

I agree with Susan Bayle. Flashpoint is probably the most intriguing show since ER. It should be brought back. The people of Canada are very fortunate to have such a series airing on their screens.
Bring it back if you can, CBS. I use to clear my calendar to watch that show no matter what!

Susan Bayle March 22, 2010 at 3:27 pm

When I sit down every Thursday and especially every Friday evening to relax and watch tv, there is nothing on that holds my interest. Flashpoint is a great show with a fantastic ensemble cast…they are all great. These actors bring such emotion to their roles, so why
is it not on the schedule? Get rid of Medium and some of the other boring shows.

Sharon March 3, 2010 at 6:27 pm

When is Flashpoint scheduled to return? We have been waiting such a long time, that I almost had given up hope for this fine show!