Friends with Benefits: New NBC Sitcom; Cancel or Keep It?

Friends with Benefits cancel or keepA couple weeks ago, the peacock network finally started airing their new Friends with Benefits sitcom. The pilot for the TV show was developed for ABC but they passed on the series and NBC picked it up. Now that the show’s debuted, is the alphabet network regretting their decision or will the sitcom flop and be quickly cancelled?

Friends with Benefits revolves around a group of friends who live in Chicago and their relationships are complicated to say the least. Ben Lewis (Ryan Hansen) is on the hunt for the perfect woman who can meet his impossibly high standards. His best friend, Doctor Sara Maxwell (Danneel Harris), just wants a compatible man and to raise a family with him. They end up turning to each other for both moral and physical support as they wait for their mates to come along. Others in the cast include Zach Cregger, Andre Holland, and Jessica Lucas.

The NBC sitcom debuted with a pair of episodes on August 5th. The first one brought a terrible 0.7 rating in the 18-49 demographic and only 2.34 million viewers. It was third in the timeslot, tying with a repeat of Bones on FOX. The episode that followed at 8:30 dropped 14% to an even worse 0.6 demo rating and 1.96 million total viewers.

The following week’s installments fell again to a 0.5 rating and an average of 1.84 million. They were in fourth place in the timeslot, only beating a repeat of The CW’s Nikita. Last Friday’s episodes didn’t do any better.

Friends with Benefits is easily the worst performing original series on NBC. To put it in perspective, Minute to Win It is doing terribly but still gets about twice the ratings of Friends with Benefits. The peacock network execs obviously didn’t have much faith in Friends with Benefits which is why they delayed it until summer. Still, just how badly the show is actually doing is likely still a shock.

There is absolutely no way that NBC will be renewing this sitcom for a second season. If anything, they’ll pull it before all of the episodes have aired. For right now, episodes 11 and 12 are scheduled to air on September 9th. That will leave one remaining installment but, with ratings like these, the network hardly has any incentive to want to find a spot for the season/series finale.

But what do you think? Do you like Friends with Benefits? Would you like to see it renewed for a second season or just quickly cancelled?

SK September 15, 2012 at 6:16 am

Seriously funny. I watched the whole season 1 in a week in Netflix. I hope to see more.

Ernesto September 14, 2012 at 2:54 am

I came across this show on Netflix and i loved it, i remember coming across it once on NBC but didn’t watch it, i never saw any promotion or ads for it and i think that’s maybe why it got cancelled but overall it’s a really good show, sucks there won’t be anymore :(

isabella September 14, 2012 at 11:22 pm

i came across this on netflix i never saw this on nbc or any codes for it i hope it will continue to be on.

Anonymous September 8, 2012 at 9:50 pm

Amazing show!

Payton September 8, 2012 at 9:48 pm

Bring the show back! I love it and can’t wait to see more!

Jeffery September 7, 2012 at 3:19 pm

MORE!!!!

tyler August 30, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Seriously a good show. Started off just a tad slow, but after character development I watched the entire season only to be bumbed that they are not making another one. Seriously I am pissed…

Honey Joe August 27, 2012 at 4:28 pm

THIS SHOW WAS GREAT. It should definitely have more seasons. I was left in suspense. I need to know what will happen next.

Alan August 27, 2012 at 3:02 am

I would love to watch a second Season show was great!

erica August 26, 2012 at 11:37 pm

i love this show. was hooked automatically. shouldn’t be cancelled.

prince david August 24, 2012 at 8:52 am

plsssssssssssss bring out season two

Danny August 21, 2012 at 3:37 am

First it was Knight Rider and now this! ? Tsk tsk..

Daniel August 21, 2012 at 3:31 am

Totally agree with the two posts previously posted! Enough said.

Hattie August 17, 2012 at 7:29 am

Please please please make another season. I found it on Netflix and love it. I am hooked!!! I watched all the episodes in one day and immediately googled for season 2. It was sad to hear that it might not be coming back. I agree that putting this on in August was not the best idea due to summer vacation and it needs more advertisement. This show would be great on TBS. Its funny and i love how everyone has such a good relationship with one another in their own way.

Amanda August 15, 2012 at 2:22 pm

I know I’m very late but MAKE ANOTHER SEASON. Jesus, it was really funny. It probably just so happened that everyone was busy while it was playing! Also, it didn’t get very much advertisement, so how could people possibly know it was playing?! But maybe …………….no one watches NBC? lol I always missed the episodes that played in the time slot they chose, but obviously found a way to watch it. It was funny and interesting and I want more. This is A YEAR LATER people! Amazing show.

Jay August 15, 2012 at 12:44 pm

I just watched the hoe season 1 right now and dis is a f…. Good ass show
I hook everybody with it in my household so ya deffentli how to come back with the show
We all loved it can’t wait for it to be on air !!!!!!!!!!!!!!