Fringe: FOX TV Series Renewed for Season Four

Fringe renewedIt turns out that being sent to Friday nights isn’t necessarily a death sentence. FOX has announced that they have renewed Fringe for a full fourth season of 22 episodes. Fans of the sci-fi series can relax for quite awhile now.

The news come nearly a week after Fringe posted season low ratings last Friday. On Thursday nights, opposite steep competition, Fringe was averaging a 1.9 rating in the coveted 18-49 demographic and about five million total viewers. Fans got understandably nervous when the network decided to move the series to Friday nights but execs maintained that, as long as the series kept most of its viewers, the show would be safe.

Remarkably, Fringe maintained its numbers for a couple weeks but then they started to slide, garnering a 1.3 in the demo and 3.8 million last Friday. Despite the ratings decline, the network has renewed Fringe for a fourth season — and a full one at that.

Of the pick-up, J.J. Abrams told Vulture, “Whew! And thanks to Fringe-rs everywhere!!!!” Meanwhile, Fringe executive producer J.H. Wyman tweeted, “Fringe was picked up!!!! Thanks Fringedom!”

What do you think? Are you surprised that Fringe was renewed? Are you glad to hear it? Do you think that will be the end of the show?

Jason April 27, 2011 at 5:18 am

Best show on TV!! Finally a show that I watch that’s off the chopping block.
GO Fringe Fans!!!!!!

Kim April 23, 2011 at 9:02 am

This show is the best kept secret, darn. Great story lines, wonderful actors (we love Walter). Try adding some cameo actors from other sci fi shows.

Marsha April 1, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Excellent news on the Fringe front! Fringe is a great show and FOX made the right choice to renew. I get so tired of the great shows being cut while the dumbest, always predictable shows keep getting picked up….especially reality shows. Something is wrong with how the ratings are calculated and the households they come from. Just sayin’.

MythicMage March 29, 2011 at 9:17 pm

WHOOP! Smart move, FOX! I got antsy with the network airing new episodes opposite the ratings-eating college basketball finals. Glad to know the viewership held firm for Fringe on Fridays.

And a FULL season – feeling quite loopy. A fantastic season, getting better and better, always surprises. Hang in there, Fringe and we’ll hang with you!

JGG March 28, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Thank you so much!!! All the good shows, with great writing, substance and character development seem to get cancelled now a days..Glad to ser that Fox has invested in the next season of Fringe and not on another crappy reality tv show. My husband and I and even my inlaws watch Fringe religiously since the first season and it is one of our favorite shows. Thank you and we will keep watching !!!

SC March 27, 2011 at 8:26 am

Yeah! We were running out of reasons to even watch TV. Fringe is an oasis in the TV swamp that is overflowing with brain-dead reality and talent shows.

kim March 27, 2011 at 7:04 am

Thank god. I didn’t think it was going to happen. I’m surprised that they made a good decision.

Craig March 26, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Excellent! I hope having a full season order and not worrying about getting cancelled will motivate people to come watch the show.

Brenda March 26, 2011 at 10:34 am

Yeah!! My mom and I watch every Friday night!! Only good show left on TV!!! Thank you.

Sharon March 26, 2011 at 4:45 am

HOORAY! This is one of my very favorite shows. I have been checking regularly to see if it would be renewed. Whew!

Jim March 25, 2011 at 10:54 pm

good news indeed. x-files: the next generation (aka fringe) is a really good show.

i remember they did say they had the main story arc planned over 5 or 6 seasons, but that they could wrap it up even if it lasted only 1 or 2 years. the 4th season will probably be the last but they will be able to plan the season accordingly.

i hope they finally get around to the 3rd and final x-files movie. and hopefully give it the proper ending it deserves.

Thomas March 25, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Whew!!! My wife and daughter along with myself were glad it was renewed. It is a very intreging show and spell binding.

Hugh March 25, 2011 at 7:12 pm

Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you- Fringe is a great show. And now my wife will stay home Friday nights and not whore around. ??At least friday night??

Bo Cannon March 25, 2011 at 3:32 pm

YES! Now THIS is a show to get worked up about. Last few episodes were kind of weak but overall the series is one that rivets you to the seat! BRAVO!
Now we just need to see John Noble (Dr. Walter Bishop) get that Emmy- he richly deserves it.

Isaura March 25, 2011 at 3:06 pm

I am so happy it got renewed!!! I love the show, the characters, everything and everyone work so well together. Thank you for the good news!!