Futurama: Cancelled [Again]; No Season Eight?

futurama canceledGet ready to say goodbye to Fry once again. Comedy Central has decided to cancel Futurama. This will be the second time that the animated series has been cancelled but it could return.

Futurama ran on FOX between 1999 and 2003 before being jettisoned by FOX. The show did well in reruns on Adult Swim so four made-for-DVD movies were made and split into 16 episodes (season five) for Comedy Central. Those were a success so they ended up ordering two more seasons of 26 installments each.

We now know that season seven will be the end for Futurama. There are 13 episodes left and they will start running on June 19th. The series finale will air on September. According to EW, the producers are looking into continuing the series elsewhere but don’t have any serious options at the moment.

Creator Matt Groening said, “We’re catching our breath and seeing what the fans have to say. The experience of this show has been so much fun from the very beginning to now — everybody is so happy to work on this show — that it’d be a shame if we all went our separate ways… We would love to continue. We have many more stories to tell. But if we don’t, this is a really great way to go out… I think these episodes are the best ones we’ve ever done.”

What do you think? Are you sorry that Futurama is ending? Is the show still worth watching? Would you follow it to a new channel?

Adam Murphy October 22, 2013 at 8:26 am

Cartoon Network n Comedy Central cancelled nearly every great show after 1 or 2 sns. Without Futurama n The Clone Wars the channels are doomed. The Time-Warner must be trying to drive themselves out of business with all the screw-ups in their subsidiaries.

Nick Denty August 18, 2013 at 11:35 am

Best show ever! Quote from Simpsons comic book guy!

Jay June 20, 2013 at 3:24 am

Adult swim

Hypnotoad May 16, 2013 at 4:33 pm

All hail the hypnotoad. Renew this show and bring it back to Adult Swim where it belongs!!!

The Professor April 24, 2013 at 3:40 pm

I DONT WANT TO LIVE ON THIS PLANET ANYMORE

Mike April 23, 2013 at 5:30 am

The newest season of Futurama was awful! No wonder it’s been cancelled

The Blue Rose April 22, 2013 at 11:21 pm

Matt Groening needs to come up with something else. I love the Simpsons but the quality has sunk too far for me. Never cared for Futurama myself but I know a lot of people really enjoyed it

Aaron April 22, 2013 at 9:16 pm

If the creators want the show to continue they should do a kickstarter and release it as an independent project

A Futurama Fan April 22, 2013 at 7:19 pm

Futurama is my favorite show. I’m not going to lie, I love it more than the Simpsons. I really hope this isn’t the end, not now. Futurama is too good of a show, and there’s really nothing like it!

Adrian Leishman April 22, 2013 at 3:57 pm

I canceled my cable and land line last year due to the plummeting quality of television. One of the only shows I missed was Futurama. When The Sci-Fi Channel died and returned as the purified corpse known as SyFy I knew that I was no longer in a desired demographic. Now that Futurama is gone, I don’t feel like I’m missing anything.

Kat April 22, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Aww, man! There goes the ONLY reason to watch Comedy Central. Might as well delete Comedy Central from my channel line-up after the series finale airs in September. Would be great if FX picked Futurama up and paired it with Archer, though!