Happily Divorced: Not Renewed for Season Three, But…

no season 3 for Happily Divorced A few days ago, we reported that TV Land had renewed Happily Divorced for a third season of 12 episodes. The news was first announced by co-creators (and former spouses) Fran Drescher and Peter Marc Jacobson. It now appears that the news has changed.

TV Land has issued a press release indicating that the the 12 episode order is part of the current second season, bringing the installment total to 24. Of the cable channel’s slate of original sitcoms, only Hot in Cleveland and Happily Divorced have received full season orders.

The first dozen episodes of season two are currently airing on Wednesday nights and are expected to finish running by the end of May. So far, they’ve averaged a 0.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 1.16 million total viewers.

The second half of season two is expected to air later this year.

Here’s the press release from TV Land:

TV Land Picks Up 12 More Episodes for Second Season of “Happily Divorced” Starring Fran Drescher

New York, NY – May 1, 2012 – TV Land has extended the second season of its original sitcom, “Happily Divorced,” starring Fran Drescher, picking up 12 additional episodes, it was officially announced today by Larry W. Jones, president, TV Land. This episode order takes the second season total to 24. The back-order of season two will debut later this year. The first 12 episodes of the second season are currently in premieres airing Wednesdays at 10:30pm ET/PT on TV Land.

“We are thrilled to continue our relationship with Fran and the rest of the amazing cast and crew on ‘Happily Divorced’,” said Jones. “This show uses humor brilliantly to communicate and relate with the audience. We feel so fortunate to have a show that can create social change through laughter.”

“Happily Divorced” stars and is inspired by the real-life story of sitcom favorite Fran Drescher (“The Nanny”), and revolves around Fran, a Los Angeles florist who finds out after 18-years of marriage that her husband is gay. Unable to sell the house with the economy tanking, she and her gay ex-husband Peter (John Michael Higgins, “Best in Show”) must continue to live together happily divorced as they both re-enter the dating world. “Happily Divorced” also features acclaimed actors Tichina Arnold (“Everybody Hates Chris”) as her best friend Judi; Rita Moreno (“OZ”) and Robert Walden (“All The President’s Men”) as Fran’s parents Glen and Dori and Valente Rodriguez (“George Lopez”) as Cesar, her flower shop employee. The show is filmed in front of a live studio audience.

Fran Drescher, Peter Marc Jacobson (“The Nanny”), Frank Lombardi and Franco E. Bario are executive producers, and Larry W. Jones and Keith Cox serve as executive producers for TV Land.

About TV Land

TV Land is the programming destination featuring the best in entertainment on all platforms for consumers in their 40s and 50s. Consisting of original programming, classic and contemporary television series acquisitions, hit movies and a full-service Web site, TV Land is now seen in over 98 million U.S. homes.

About Viacom

Viacom (NASDAQ: VIA, VIAB) is home to the world’s premier entertainment brands that connect with audiences through compelling content across television, motion picture, online and mobile platforms in more than 160 countries and territories. With approximately 170 media networks reaching more than 600 million global subscribers, Viacom’s leading brands include MTV, VH1, CMT, Logo, BET, CENTRIC, Nickelodeon, Nick Jr., TeenNick, Nicktoons, Nick at Nite, COMEDY CENTRAL, TV Land, Spike TV and Tr3s. Paramount Pictures, America’s oldest film studio and creator of many of the most beloved motion pictures, continues today as a major global producer and distributor of filmed entertainment. Viacom operates a large portfolio of branded digital media experiences, including many of the world’s most popular properties for entertainment, community and casual online gaming.

For more information about Viacom and its businesses, visit www.viacom.com

What do you think? Do you think Happily Divorced will be renewed for a third season eventually?

Canceled and renewed TV show

140 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. SHERRIE says

PLEASE PLEASE RENEW IT FOR ANOTHER SEASON, NO MORE REALITY SHOWS ENOUGH OF THE TRASH, WE NEED GOOD COMEDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. sue says

Please renew happily divorced! That and Hot in Cleveland are the best. Much better than Soul Man or The Exes

3. Misplaced Texan says

TO TV LAND: LEAVE “HAPPILY DIVORCED” ON THE AIR!!!!

I know almost every line of every episode of “The Nanny”. “The Beautician and the Beast” was basically a bad movie version of “The Nanny” except without Yetta. So, I was expecting the same ol’, same ol’ from ” Happily Divorced”. Call me “Happily Surprised”. Yes, some of the same characters. Okay, all of the same characters. But to see Fran Drescher older, a bit heavier and still beautiful and funny was a wonderful surprise. So was the show. All the actors are perfectly cast and I grew to love the show. TV Land needs to leave “Happily Divorced” on the air.

4. Bonnie Oliff says

bring back h-d it is a great show it makes all of us laugh great people great acting. what is wrong with u tv land

5. jordan christopher says

Please please please renew Happily Divorced….love Fran and the cast….good casting….
    happy to have a good adult comedy show….

6. Anonymous says

I love Fran in Happily Divorced. Please let it stay, its amusing and funny. I love everything about. I watch from my home town, Aguada, Puerto Rico.

7. Sue says

Love this show!!! It’s so funny. I would love to see this show on for the full year instead of just a 10 or 12-week period. Sometimes Fran doesn’t have to say a word – her facial expressions say it all!!! Can’t wait for the new season to start.

8. Fawn says

I really hope that Happily Divorced is able to make it back onto tv. I absolutely love Fran as an actress. Love her shows.

9. KAE says

Although, I really like Fran Drescher I think the Happily Divorced lacked something. It’s pleasant to watch and everything but I think that the trap of the main character ruined this sitcom. The nanny had fully developed all the main characters while the chemistry between them didn’t need Fran to save the day. With nanny I laughed and I laughed no matter how menu times I’ve watched the series. I know that if she sleep on it and think it through without rushing the storyline like she did with Happily Divorced she will make a great tv series again.

• Ronnie DeMaio says

Of course there will always be someone who is not crazy about a show……For me my friends and my family we love the show. The writing the expressions on the actors faces the story lines …Oh my goodness this show is the best. It is Happy Funny Loving it has it all. I prayed today LOL that it would come back, because this show makes me happy. Please give this show another chance, Thanks for listening.

10. says

I think it’s a stupid show I tried to watch it and I didn’t think it was funny at all actually it’s dumb but all sitcoms today are just plain dumb anyway!

• Lou says

And here we go:
      Mike And Molly
      This Hour Has 22 minutes (not technically a sitcom)
      Anger Management
      Seed
      Rules Of Engagement
      Hot In Cleveland
      Whitney
      Go On
      The Middle
      Modern Family
      Parks and Recreation
      The Office

There. A dozen great sitcoms for you.

11. Debi says

RENEW FOR THIRD SEASON AND MORE……..FRAN AND CAST ARE PRICELESS!!!!!!

TV LAND PLEASE DO NOT DISAPPOINT US……..KEEP THIS SHOW ON THE AIR.